Pioneer LX-71

A

Anonymous

As you guys and gals at What HiFi hopefully have some decent contacts in Pioneer, is it possible to find out if the LX71 can be upgraded to BD-Live via firmware upgrade at a later date? Or do we have to wait for LX72??!!

Thanks,

Ian.

A

Anonymous

Just realised that this is a stupid question, as there is no ethernet port!! Doh!

A

Anonymous

The review is very positive and I am know seriously considering this player, it states that it does not have DTS-HD decoding onboard and that pioneer will address this with a firmware upgrade. As the machine has no ithernet port how will pioneer provide and upgrade of the firmware. Also can the machine play region A blu ray discs

A

Anonymous

The upgrade will be via PC burning files onto CD then loading this onto the player. Works pretty well really.

Ian.

A

Anonymous

Could anyone comment on how the Panasonic DMP-BD55 compares against this, in terms of picture and audio quality? Cheers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Pioneer sits neatly between the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and the Denon DVD-2500BT for picture and audio quality - it's worth the extra over the Pana if you can afford it, and ditto for the Denon over the Pioneer. All depends on your budget!

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much, Clare, although, for my wallet's sake, I was hoping you'd say the difference is negligible. Hey-ho.

A

Anonymous

The BDP-51FD may offer a cheaper alternative. ALthough not having the cosmetic enhancements of the LX-71 with the touch sensitive buttons and aluminium front panel, it's inner workings seem very similar; Wolfson DACs, source direct and all. I've seen it listed for £420 (stock awaited).

A

Anonymous

I really hope that's the case, but would a few aesthetic sacrifices really knock 200 sheets off the price?

A

Anonymous

Seems unlikely but if UK spec matches US spec that'll be the case. The chipset and post-processor are the same. Apparently, a degree of the expense has been with the PQLS allowing improved CD playback over hdmi. If you use a CD player and don't mind the missing features like me, this is the more appealing of the two. There is a massive thread on a well known american site discussing the pros and cons of the two.

A

Anonymous

Ah, nice one; cheers for the info. I can certainly live without the enhanced CD playback, although having to wait until November to see how it fares against the Panasonic BD-55 is a bit of a pain.

A

Anonymous

From the review

"the BDP-LX71 is quicker to load Blu-ray discs than Pioneer's previous model, it's still not up to the speed of cheaper players such as the Sony's PlayStation 3."

How much faster is the PS3? Is it a noticeable delay. Is the delay when the player first starts up or is it everytime a different disc is loaded?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts