Pioneer LX-5090 Picture Settings Nightmare : - )

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys, Finally my Pioneer LX-5090 is set up to complete my home cinema system. Very Excited, watched Batman the Dark Knight on Blu Ray and was blown away by the dark scenes and how realistic they looked!!

I played around with the Optimum & Movie setting when watching the movie. Found both to be very good indeed - The optimum slightly edging on too much contrast and colour - but still very good.

With my PS3 and 360 I used the Game AV setting and also turned the Game Mode in the Options section ON.

Was Just wondering if anyone has their set of picture settings to use for the TV for different inputs as there are loads of calibration tools that can be changed!

Any help is welcomed. Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yep, its a mine field
emotion-2.gif

I'd be glad to post my settings if you're interested but you probably find that you would 'fine tune' them too. We don't all like the same picture and because of the myryad of adjustment possibilities you will probably fiddle around with them for some time ...

The only way to know for certain that it is set up properly is to have it calibrated though even so that is no guarantee that you actually will like what you see, as a few have found out after spending hundreds on it.

You could also buy a hard/software based calibration package such as eyeone/spyder for around £100-£150 and do it yourself. The advantage is that you can re-use it for another tv or/and camera/pc monitors or to adjust your friends tv's and charge them a nice meal or a few beers. Soon pays for itself ... Disadvantages are you can't get into the ISF day/night time menus, as far as I know and you have to make use with the user accessible controls rather than the ones in the service menu.

Have fun.

A

Anonymous

Some recommended settings that a lot of owners use for the first 200 hours:

Movie Mode

Contrast 32
Brightness +1
Colour 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -15

PRO ADJUST

PURE CINEMA
Fim Mode OFF (SKY) or Advanced (BLUE RAY HD) OFF (SD DVD)
TXT Opt OFF

Intellegent Mode OFF

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE OFF (more accurate) or Low if you want more fake contrast
BLACL LEVEL OFF
ACL OFF
Enhancer Mode 2
Gamma 2

COLOUR DETAIL

Colour Temp Manual (PUSH FOR ENTER FOR 3 SECONDS)

Red High -2
Green High 0
Blue High -2
Red Low -1
Green Low 0
Blue Low -1

CTI OFF

Colour Management

Red 0
Yellow 0
Green 0
Cyan -1
Blue 0
Magenta -2

Colour Space 2

Noise Reduction All Off

I find these good for me, but every set is different.

Try them, you never know.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

This was all too much of a headache for me and as I wanted the best possible viewing experience, I had a professional calibrator do it for me.

Fantastico.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
EvilWolf:
This was all too much of a headache for me and as I wanted the best possible viewing experience, I had a professional calibrator do it for me.

Fantastico.

Who and how much?

A

Anonymous

Yea I am also interested in knowing who and how much the professional was.

Thx for all your responses guys - I shall post my current settings this evening.

I did find the default Movie setting to be almost perfect but slightly dull - So I have played around with the settings on that user mode for Blu Ray viewing. Otherwise its on Game mode for PS3 and 360 consoles.

Also may I ask why almost all people say to put the Sharpness to -15? I find it to be slightly too blurry around the edges - and it cannot be used for the games consoles either.

Also has anyone played around with the "Drive Mode"/Orbiter & Screen Protection Settings Found in Options

piobob - thx for those settings (did you get them from Avsforum?) - I have those settings used as my User AV Mode. I found that produced a wonderful picture on Standard DVDs. But the High Definition stuff lost its 3 dimensionality.

I am most probably with all my equipment - overthinking things : )

A

Anonymous

Vinny7:
Yea I am also interested in knowing who and how much the professional was.

Thx for all your responses guys - I shall post my current settings this evening.

I did find the default Movie setting to be almost perfect but slightly dull - So I have played around with the settings on that user mode for Blu Ray viewing. Otherwise its on Game mode for PS3 and 360 consoles.

Also may I ask why almost all people say to put the Sharpness to -15? I find it to be slightly too blurry around the edges - and it cannot be used for the games consoles either.

Also has anyone played around with the "Drive Mode"/Orbiter & Screen Protection Settings Found in Options

piobob - thx for those settings (did you get them from Avsforum?) - I have those settings used as my User AV Mode. I found that produced a wonderful picture on Standard DVDs. But the High Definition stuff lost its 3 dimensionality.

I am most probably with all my equipment - overthinking things : )

another site?.....Yes! (Not sure we're allowed to mention other forums
emotion-17.gif
)

You might find it will improve with age. I was a bit sceptical when I read this, not now though as after 5 months mine definitely looks better on SD. I don't have HD yet, but the Bluray always look great to me.

I have played around with the settings many times but always go back to the ones I posted (Bumtious), apart from sharpness which I've now set to -8. I guess I'm used to them now.

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver soon, so will have the Pio calibrated then.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:EvilWolf:

Fantastico.

Who and how much?

convergent-av.co.uk @ £400.00

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:the_lhc:EvilWolf:

Fantastico.

Who and how much?

emotion-3.gif
That's a bit steep.

I've seen quotes of £250 - £300 from experienced callibrators.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
EvilWolf:the_lhc:EvilWolf:

Fantastico.

Who and how much?

That DOES sound steep!

I was toying with paying around 250 myself but decided to have a crack at calibrating my tv myself using a SPYDER 3 and some freebie software (To VERY good effect)

A

Anonymous

I had some 'special' work done, hence the bill. To me, it was worth every penny.

A

Anonymous

Nope. Suffice to say, and speaking very confidently, my 5090 is the best out there
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

Evilwolf you wouldnt be trying to say theres a way to upgrade the TV for 400GBP would you? : )

You have the audience pinned by our ears - go for the KILL...........! : )

A

Anonymous

piobob - thanks again. Yea as its still a very new screen im waiting for a month before really exploring the settings.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
EvilWolf:Nope. Suffice to say, and speaking very confidently, my 5090 is the best out there
emotion-19.gif

Cmon ~ give us something to 'play' with
emotion-4.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Any mods to the tv hardware would void the warranty. The calibration itself is ... a calibration so should'nt differ from others so I can only imagine it has something to do with back-lighting, ie. led strips or a 6500k light behind the telly ... or something like that. It's a state secret
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My Pioneer seem to get better by the day. Although from cold they do look a bit soft.

I just set my picture to standard and sharpness almost off, the AV HD engine also set at off too. Awesome tele, I even seen a tiny spot on Paris Hilton's face
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I second the bumtious settings, although i have used somthing deifferent for blu-ray on ps3, if anyone is interested, ask and i'll post,

Hey piobob i noticed you have the LX82 with monitor audio RX6 AV12, i've started my system with the RX6, plan on getting the complete package in stages when the cash flow is coming in. I've considered the LX82 and the Yamaha Z7 for AVR, just curious how does the MA RX6 pacakge sound with the pioneer avr. A few shop assitance have advised me to steer clear of the pio, reasoning that they aren't a good match. a little on the bright side. How ever im not a real fan of yamaha, and the pio is much cheaper here in australia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts