Pioneer Kuros - Plasma v LCD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm new to these forums.

I'm looking to buy a new TV. I've been very impressed by what I've seen & heard about the Pioneer KURO range. The trouble is - which one to get? Ideally, I wanted a 46" Plasma TV, but Pioneer don't do a 46" plasma.

I've looked at the 50" plasma (PDP-LX5090) and you can pick these up as cheap as £1663 at the moment. Don't think I can convince the wife to go for a 50". You can't get hold of the 42" plasma anymore - so, my question is, what is the 46" LCD (KRL-46V) like compared to the 50" ????

Any opinions muchly appreciated!!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I'll keep this short. The KRL-46V is an OK set but it's Pioneer's first and last venture with LCD and it really can't be compared with 5090, as it doesn't even come close to it. The 5090 is by far the superior set. I had the chance to see them side by side at Richer Sounds and the difference in quality between the KRL-46V and the 5090 was as clear as night and day.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Davey - thought it would be as cut & dry as that somehow.

I can feel my next question coming on already....

Is there ANYTHING in the 46" market anywhere that is comparible to the 5090???????

If the answer is "No" then I'lll accept that - and that's the evidence I'll use to convince the missus !
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

You might want to think about the Sony KDL46Z4500 which has just been reviewed by WHF. I bought the 40 inch version of the set and I couldn't recommend it enough, the picture is totally stunning (even standard def is good) and its got a great black retention ratio (80,000:1) and (IMO) can give the Pioneer a run for its money!!

From my experience, I would also be very careful about the size of the TV that you select - once its at home there is a big difference between 46 inches and 50 inches. I looked at the 40 inch in the shop and didn't think it looked that big to me(as it was surrounded by the bigger 46 and 50 inch sets) but once it was set up in the lounge at home it looked much bigger (good though!) but my wife is now calling it a "monstrousity" (she clearly doesn't appreciate the finer things, although even she appreciated the stunning picture of HD material)

A

Anonymous

I was fortunate to get a glimpse of the new 2009 Samsung 7 Series, I seen the UE46B7020 which features Samsung's LED backlight technology. It's very good, I must say, As good as the 5090 I am not sure. It's black levels are very deep, revealing plenty of detail in dark scenes, colour is alot more natural too. It will be available at the end of next month, it's also extremely attractive and ultra slim. It will be priced around £1700-£1800.

A little more info here http://gizmodo.com/5124124/samsung-goes-full-led-backlight-with-luxia-series-6000-7000-and-8000-high+end-ultra+thin-lcds

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

ÿThe 46" plasma market is unfortunately very slim - only Panasonic I am afraid - they have new models coming out soon, the top 46" will be the Z Series (about £3600 I hear!!!!) or the upper mid range G15 series. Will, they be as good as the Kuros - who knows but they are the new Neo-PDP sets which promise to be much brighter and use less power. On the LCD side of things, many Samsung A956 owners believeÿthatÿthe set is equal to or better than the Kuro - I do not know about that but it is available in 46". There will also be quite a few LED-BL sets out over the next few months but on Plasma things are very limted. I was extremely interested in the upcoming Panasonic V Series (second only to the Z Series) but am really upset that for some obscure reason, Panasonic will not offer this model in a 46" - I feel cursed!

Bazzy!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bazzy. I knew about the new Panny range coming soon and have also heard mutterings of the LED technology that's due. Wasn't aware of the Samsung A956 though - I'll take a look.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Depends how you like your picture. The Kuro's are natural, almost realistic on occasions with nice, measured colours and a cinematic picture on films. No emphasis on anything really though its not a product that impresses at first glance like some LCD's. It's also not ideal for bright rooms ie. watching in a lot of sunlight due to limited peak brightness though actual contrast is very good.

If you like a super colourful and bright picture look elsewhere. LCD's that impressed me are high-end sets from philips and Samsung, both of which I could live with. I still would'nt trade the Kuro in for either one but the philips style set reviewed in the latest WHS&V edition would be my choice at the moment as I have mentioned in another thread recently though it would have to be a larger version than 40". Very impressive when I saw it and design is important to me.

With regards to size, you will very soon become accustomed to it. Unless you sit closer than 8ft for non-HD content you will be fine with a 50" telly. Very annoying to get a smaller size and then wishing you'd gone large. Many went through that.

With regards to price of the model you've mentioned it sounds like a bargain. I paid 2.2k for mine not six months ago. Just make sure it includes a 5 year warranty and the stand, speaker bar which are all usually sold separately. If you wall mount and have an HT system you wont necesseraly need the latter two though.

Good luck and let us know what you bought as and when and why.

A

Anonymous

Drummerman,

Many thanks for your post. To cut a long story short.....I've managed to persuade my wife to go with the 50" KURO !!!

Got a template from pioneer which has been up on the wall a few days now. Last night we sat down and discussed and decided I was right ! Not going to get a better telly for just over 1600 quid. That's with a 5 yr warranty but without stand and optional speakers. This doesn't bother me though because it's going on the wall and the sounds going to come through some nice B&W speakers!

Happy days !
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger,

What's classsed as too high? Serious question, I've been giving it some thought. Got a template stuck up on my wall at the moment and keep shifting it about. Although the missus has agreed to the telly (God bless 'er) she keeps saying it's too LOW on the wall and I have to keep moving it up !

A

Anonymous

Keep the screen at the level of where you will be watching, so head height would be probably ideal.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Taste does tend to differ when it comes to the hight that you mount your screen but IMHO the best results are gained if you mount the screen so that your eye level from where you sit to watch the TV is roughly somewhere between the botom 1/4 to 1/2 up the screen. Soo many mount the screen above a firepalce as "it looks good" but only do this if you want neck problems!

TRENDING THREADS