Pioneer Kuro Problem & Warranty Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as this thread has been revived recently, and, even though the OP doesn't seem to care about the replies everyone has taken the time to contribute here (given that the OP hasn't replied since)...

It has reminded me that I still need to complete and send in my own 5-year guarantee paperwork for my own new Panny plasma!

In so doing, because of this thread, I've just actually read the terms and conditions of this 5-year warranty! The conditions are pretty stiff...

1) All the paperwork, including a copy of your purchase receipt, must be sent in within 30 days of purchase. If you don't, or even if you did but they don't receive it (not that you'd know), the extended warranty is void.

2) If the application is incomplete or it gets delayed in the post (again, how would you know?), the extended warranty is void

3) They will process the application for warranty within 40 days. If you haven't got a certificate within 40 days, you have a 5-day window to complain. If you haven't received your certificate within 40 days, and complained within 45 days, the extended warranty is void. Are you going to remember in 40 days time that you're still waiting for a certificate, and have only 5 days to chase it?

My dealer tells me that the need for specifically applying for the extended warranty is A) to ensure the set you bought came from an approved dealer rather than some unauthorised person selling grey imports or one that came off the back of a lorry, and B) as someone else already mentioned, the warranty is apparently underwritten by an insurance scheme rather than at the manufacturers cost (the manufacturer only pays a small premium to insure each set registered, and as this is at no cost to the end-user, they'll only pay to insure those sets bought through official channels). So if your set isn't registered it hasn't been insured, and thus the cost of repairs aren't covered. It's tough, but it's apparently not the manufacturers or dealers problem.

I remember on registering my last Panny Plasma that I had to complain about not having received a certificate in that 5-day window (I had written the closure date in my diary!); they apparently had logged the form, but had it down as a different model. Even so, they hadn't sent me my certificate, so I wonder if I hadn't called and got them to send the certificate if that set would now still be covered? Probably not.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
No TV should fail to operate propery in such a small time-scale tbh......

You should get a proper letter written via email and start with

" My friends on What Hi-Fi and I have debated this issue of my Brand New Pioneer TV failing after SUCH A SHORT TIME and.......... "

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
No TV should fail to operate propery in such a small time-scale tbh......

Isn't that why the manufacturer is prepared to pay to have your TV insured against failure? All they're asking, to cover their own backs, is that the buyer registers it so that it can be insured.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts