pioneer bdp170

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody it's been a while since I last posted here, I have a question that hopefully people on here can help me with.

Last week I bought a pioneer bdp170 from richer sounds for a discount price of £92, it was impulse really as I was in the market for a cheap blu ray player that focused really on pq as all of my streaming features are already taken care of, im not 3d ready yet so that is not a bother for me right now, I'm yet to test it as I work away but am interested in others opinions of the player from people on here, opinions on pq and Sq really as am just wondering if there was a better player I should have opted for instead, thanks in advance guys

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
OK silly question really, why if all bdp output at the same pq why in all who reviews is there so much reference to colour and picture surely this doesn't make sense, is this not down to the TV and hdmi leads so on

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes I've got one. Only annoying thing about it is that you get this silly miracast message come up when you start it. Relatively quiet but nowhere near as quiet as the Denon 3313 it sits next too. But that costs five times as much so not a fair comparison. There are no optimum settings as such. It's just a nice little player with reasonable build quality and SACD support at a low price point.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
daveperry3018 said:
OK silly question really, why if all bdp output at the same pq why in all who reviews is there so much reference to colour and picture surely this doesn't make sense, is this not down to the TV and hdmi leads so on

Because to watch the films as the directed intended, all picture processing must be switched off. When you do this, all bluray players output the same picture quality. If you switch the processing on, this is when you see differences, but on most if not all, the picture does not look natural and as it was intended by the director.

if budget is an issue, then I would buy the cheapest bd player and spend the rest on getting your TV calibrated.

if you watch a lot of DVDs, then the picture processing can make a difference and the oppo with darbee processing is a good choice but not with Blurays.

hope this helps

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Mtenga said:
Yes I've got one. Only annoying thing about it is that you get this silly miracast message come up when you start it. Relatively quiet but nowhere near as quiet as the Denon 3313 it sits next too. But that costs five times as much so not a fair comparison. There are no optimum settings as such. It's just a nice little player with reasonable build quality and SACD support at a low price point.

i too have the 3313 and it's a great player in particular if you have a Denon av reciver with Denon link for improved sound qaulity, although this debatable by some. Great build qaulity, very quiet and fast at loading disks. Also, always up to date with updates unlike some of the older pioneers..

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Off topic but I'm on my second 3313 now. First one was a couple of years ago and I had the matching 3313 amp. Apart from the nice blue light denonlink made no difference to me. Syncing the clocks is supposed to improve jitter but since jitter is arguably a non issue why bother? As a solution it reminds of sending "audio only" down a hdmi cable for a purer sound which Denon also promotes. Not only is that not possible, since hdmi requires a video feed even if nothing but black, but it makes no difference to audio quality.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Mtenga said:
Off topic but I'm on my second 3313 now. First one was a couple of years ago and I had the matching 3313 amp. Apart from the nice blue light denonlink made no difference to me. Syncing the clocks is supposed to improve jitter but since jitter is arguably a non issue why bother? As a solution it reminds of sending "audio only" down a hdmi cable for a purer sound which Denon also promotes. Not only is that not possible, since hdmi requires a video feed even if nothing but black, but it makes no difference to audio quality.

this is from the manual re Denon link HD:

By making a Denon Link HD connection to a player compatible with the Denon Link HD function, you can enjoy higher quality playback compared with when only the HDMI connector connection is made.

like I said it is debatable with some users if there is a difference. The blue light is too bright in particular in a darkened room, so I've put a little black sticker to cover it..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts