Pioneer active speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bit of a long shot I know but has anyone heard these: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/newsroom/news/news/s-dj08-and-s-dj05/index.html

In particular the S-DJ08's?

They look very interesting indeed; seem to get rave reviews and look good to boot!

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/pioneer-s-dj05-and-pioneer-s-dj08-active-monitor-speakers

matthewpiano

I have seen them in the flesh but sadly I haven't heard them. They look great - well made and a very tidy design IMO. My biggest concern would be whether they were too tilted towards the DJ market. However, reading some of the reviews on the web suggests that they are actually very good all-round active monitors.

They certainly have a better standard of spec than most - a good range of inputs and the control unit looks good too. Pioneer are certainly very capable of making great sounding gear so they have to be worth an audition alongside the usual suspects from Yamaha, Alesis, Adam, Event etc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that MP

i deffo think they'll be worth listening to any with the Yamaha HM80's and the Adam Audio A5X's

Will hopefully be demoing the Epoz Aktimate Maxi's at Superfi in Manchester this week or next week (even if just to rule them out) so may get. Used in to Dawsons to listen to the speakers they have in stock as well.

The Pioneers do look very good though and reading the reviews; I think those nndecent stands could be hard to beat!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The specifications for the Pioneer monitors seems a little lacking and more seems to be made of the marketing spiel. I also wonder why Pioneer are marketing these at 'DJs' and not the wider proaudio market.

A gimmicky product perhaps?

Whilst there are some speakers I would consider to be good and perhaps buy without demo, these would not be in that list.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard them so cannot comment on how they sound but the pressed speaker chassis looks a bit cheap to me.

Magnet2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
The specifications for the Pioneer monitors seems a little lacking and more seems to be made of the marketing spiel. I also wonder why Pioneer are marketing these at 'DJs' and not the wider proaudio market.

Whilst there are some speakers I would consider to be good and perhaps buy without demo, these would not be in that list.

Certainly don't think gimicky looking at the reviews they've received

Why do you feel the specs lack (and what do they lack)

Everything I need to know is in their specs so what do you feel is missing?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Overdose said:

I haven't seen that many reviews to be honest.

Have a look at the two sets of specs below and see how they are written. The Pioneer information looks a bit vague to me with no real references. My apologies for the dodgy cut and paste.

It just comes across to me as not particularly 'pro' audio and I don't understand the need to specifically market these as 'for DJs and producers'. They are either pro audio market or not. Sorry, but for me, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling when I read the Pioneer website, a bit like Beats audio. They might be great though and that's what you will need to determine yourself.

Model BM5A MKII
[*]SystemTwo-way Active Nearfield Monitor [*]Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB)48 Hz - 21 kHz [*]Max SPL 1m, pair (IEC Short Term)117 dB peak [*]Max SPL 2m, 5.1 (IEC Short Term)118 dB peak [*]Input level for 85 dB SPL @1m (+4/-10)100mV @ 0dB setting [*]Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10)+9dBu Peak @ 0dB setting[*]Power consumptionIdle: 10 W / Max: 90 W [*]Amplifier power2x 90 W Transient power (50 W RMS) [*]Resonance Frequency55 Hz[*]Internal Cabinet Volume9 liters

S-DJ08

Impedance• XLR TRS: 10 kΩ
• RCA: 10 kΩ

Sensitivity• XLR TRS: +5.2 dBu
• RCA: 0 dBu
[*]
Frequency Range43 Hz - 26,000 Hz (-10 dB)
[*]
Maximum Sound Pressure119 dB
[*]
Amplifier Output• LF: 170 W
• HF: 70 W
[*]
Power Consumption100 Watt
[*]
Dimensions250 x 390 x 369 mm (including heat sink)
[*]
WeightPair: 27 kg

A

Anonymous

steve_1979 said:
I've never heard them so cannot comment on how they sound but the pressed speaker chassis looks a bit cheap to me.

Magnet2.jpg

Bit of an odd comment to make dont you think?

Do you look at the internals of every speaker you buy or do you not just listen to them and see if they're the right ones for you?!

I'm not interested in how the drivers are made etc... If they sound right then that's all I'm after :)

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Nad_fanatic said:
Overdose said:

I haven't seen that many reviews to be honest.

Have a look at the two sets of specs below and see how they are written. The Pioneer information looks a bit vague to me with no real references. My apologies for the dodgy cut and paste.

It just comes across to me as not particularly 'pro' audio and I don't understand the need to specifically market these as 'for DJs and producers'. They are either pro audio market or not. Sorry, but for me, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling when I read the Pioneer website, a bit like Beats audio. They might be great though and that's what you will need to determine yourself.

Model BM5A MKII
[*]SystemTwo-way Active Nearfield Monitor [*]Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB)48 Hz - 21 kHz [*]Max SPL 1m, pair (IEC Short Term)117 dB peak [*]Max SPL 2m, 5.1 (IEC Short Term)118 dB peak [*]Input level for 85 dB SPL @1m (+4/-10)100mV @ 0dB setting [*]Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10)+9dBu Peak @ 0dB setting[*]Power consumptionIdle: 10 W / Max: 90 W [*]Amplifier power2x 90 W Transient power (50 W RMS) [*]Resonance Frequency55 Hz[*]Internal Cabinet Volume9 liters

S-DJ08

Impedance• XLR TRS: 10 kΩ
• RCA: 10 kΩ

Sensitivity• XLR TRS: +5.2 dBu
• RCA: 0 dBu

[*]
Frequency Range43 Hz - 26,000 Hz (-10 dB)
[*]
Maximum Sound Pressure119 dB
[*]
Amplifier Output• LF: 170 W
• HF: 70 W
[*]
Power Consumption100 Watt
[*]
Dimensions250 x 390 x 369 mm (including heat sink)
[*]
WeightPair: 27 kg

I know what you're saying

It could be that the aim of these isnt to an audiophile market but to studio/DJ's etc so they may only give you the basics as that's all that's asked of them! Whereas the Dynaudio have a more respected Audiophile following so the more bumf that can be read the better etc...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:

It could be that the aim of these isnt to an audiophile market but to studio/DJ's etc so they may only give you the basics as that's all that's asked of them! Whereas the Dynaudio have a more respected Audiophile following so the more bumf that can be read the better etc...

Not quite. The BM5As are studio monitors and are definitely not 'audiophile' products. Check them out, as they are not far of of the price of the S-DJ08s. It's almost as if Pioneer are pretending to be pro audio with these, but haven't quite made it.

Try DV247 or Dolphin Audio and have a look at how pro audio is marketed and you will see what I mean.

And as for the drivers that were pictured, driver quality is very important in the design of a speaker.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Not quite. The BM5As are studio monitors and are definitely not 'audiophile' products. Check them out, as they are not far of of the price of the S-DJ08s. It's almost as if Pioneer are pretending to be pro audio with these, but haven't quite made it.

Try DV247 or Dolphin Audio and have a look at how pro audio is marketed and you will see what I mean.

And as for the drivers that were pictured, driver quality is very important in the design of a speaker.

I understand that but having had speakers from old B&W 602 S2's through Monitor Audio, PMC, Acoustic Energy and Neat; I've never ONCE purposefully looked at how the drivers are made etc...

Ive just sat down and listened to them; if they sounded right then I bought them.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately the Dynaudio's are out of my budget range. The Pioneers are only a consideration as I have found a few pairs for ex-demo prices which make them more of interest.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Bit of an odd comment to make dont you think?

It looks like Pioneer have used the cost effective method pressing the driver chassis from a flat sheet of metal. This has the benefit of saving money but they do tend to be flexible which can have a detrimental effect on the sound quality.

Below is a picture of a high quality driver chassis. As you can see it's been cast in that shape meaning it'll be much stiffer than a pressed chassis and potentially has better sound quality.

Chassis3.jpg

Nad_fanatic said:
Do you look at the internals of every speaker you buy

Of course not. I just noticed a picture of it on the Pioneer web page that was linked in the first post.

Like yourself I would only choose a speaker based on how it sounds. But that picture indicates that Pioneer may have cut a few corners to keep the price down which is likely to have an effect on the sound quality. But as I said, I haven't actually heard them and they may sound great for all I know. It was just a comment on the picture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts