Pioneer A300R Precision vs A400 / A400GTE

Chaser

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I'm new on here, not new to Hi Fi though. I've had a fair bit of kit over the years, mostly towards the budget to mid level stuff.

I've got Cyrus 8 amp and CD player in the living room that's about 10 yrs old with '93 Monitor Audio MA14 Gold speakers. However, I have just put an old system (90's) in my office and have been amazed with the results. Sounds better than the Cyrus 8 kit!

At the mo (in my office) I've got an 1991 A400 amp, 1998 Marantz CD17KI CD player and new Q Acoustics speakers.

Pis there anyone out there that can describe the sonic differences between the old Pioneer A400, A400GTE and the A300R Precision.

I know there are two versions of the 'Precision' - the regular 'Precision' and the 'Blue LED Full Monty'. I'm talking about the 'normal' Precision by model by comparison to the two 400's here. I know the Full Monty is in a different league all together.

Any thoughts / experiences of them?

Chaser said:
Hello!

I'm new on here, not new to Hi Fi though. I've had a fair bit of kit over the years, mostly towards the budget to mid level stuff.

I've got Cyrus 8 amp and CD player in the living room that's about 10 yrs old with '93 Monitor Audio MA14 Gold speakers. However, I have just put an old system (90's) in my office and have been amazed with the results. Sounds better than the Cyrus 8 kit!

At the mo (in my office) I've got an 1991 A400 amp, 1998 Marantz CD17KI CD player and new Q Acoustics speakers.

Pis there anyone out there that can describe the sonic differences between the old Pioneer A400, A400GTE and the A300R Precision.

I know there are two versions of the 'Precision' - the regular 'Precision' and the 'Blue LED Full Monty'. I'm talking about the 'normal' Precision by model by comparison to the two 400's here. I know the Full Monty is in a different league all together.

Any thoughts / experiences of them?

I have owned original A400 and the 300R Precision so cannot comment on the GTE.

Although all had the Pioneer 'house' sound, which some described as bright but it really depended on partnering speakers, there was thought to be a progression inbound until the A400X came along which was a backwards step allegedly.

The 300R, for the little time I owned it as such, appeared to me to offer a slightly wider soundstage. This may be true but difficult to be sure as, by that time, that A400 was long gone.

The 300R was soon away to Tom Evans to be converted to a power amp, but that's another story.

As far as I know the A400 can still be modified / upgraded by Redhill Audio but, these days, whether the cost of doing so is actually worth it is debatable as £435 for level 3 upgrade would buy you a decent new amp.

Chaser

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes I've read that soundstage / imaging on the A300R is better than the A400.

Was wondering if the A300R Precision lost some punch the 400 had due to being lower power output.

Thanks again.

Chaser said:
Thanks for your reply. Yes I've read that soundstage / imaging on the A300R is better than the A400.

Was wondering if the A300R Precision lost some punch the 400 had due to being lower power output.

Thanks again.

Can't say I noticed. Believe difference was small and you don't often use all those wpc anyway, guess it would not be noticeable driving average efficiency speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts