Pioneer A-A9-J

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

you did a review on the Pioneer A-A6-J amplifier. Will there also be a review of the 'big brother' A-A9-J ?

Jeroen

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Great to hear that. This is what I have at the moment;

Marantz SA7001
Rotel RA-04
Monitor Audio BR2

The Rotel is a great amplifier but I want something more. I'm going to buy the Pioneer A-A9-J or the
Roksan Kandy L.III. I'm not sure at the moment. I'll wait for your review.
Do you have any idea if the Pioneer is just as good as the Roksan ? I heard the Roksan already and it's
very good.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The August issue is available now. I live in Holland so I have to wait two weeks before it's available here.
Can anyone tell me how many stars the Pioneer A-A9-J got in this issue ?

A

Anonymous

I have long been an admirer of the Pioneer A400. Have owned many including the A400GT and the A300R Precision with after market mods by Tom Evans.
So I was very thrilled to hear about the Pioneer A-A9-J, developed along the same lines.

I recently got into audio streaming. Rather complex set up that involes a wireless modem/router, NAS and a HD for backup in one room; and a notebook, a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX external USB sound card and a DAC feeding the amp, in the listening room

So another reason for my interest in Pioneer A-A9-J is that it is currently the only stereo amp under £1000 with USB connectivity. Read all the reviews and reports by the hi-fi press, hoping that someone would take an in-depth look at the USB feature, test it and compare the pros and cons with playing CDs using CDPs.

But so far, they have not.
emotion-6.gif

Is What Hi-Fi? able to put this right?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am an old fasion hifi guy and having recently heard slim devices squeezebox V3 with out put into highly regards Aduio Sysn DAX dac, I think cd player will still be with us for a long time yet.

A

Anonymous

The A-A9-J only got 3 stars in August. It did win an award this year in HFN though...

A

Anonymous

hmm HFC has given the A-A9 a Best Buy recommendation saying that it "Takes on the mantle of the legendary A400. Not as cuddly, but very resolute and revealing for the money." im not sure what, if any, difference there is between the A-A9 andthe A-A9-J?

A

Anonymous

I read the HFC Review.
But nothing informative about the pros and cons of the USB connectivity of this amp :-(

Can What Hi-Fi? do any better?!

A

Anonymous

That's right - J is the suffix on both the A9 and A6.

I own the A9 in combo with the PD-D6-J SACD player, and let me tell you that I am very satisfied indeed.

The A9 delivers beautiful, complex, detailed sound and has enough muscle to drive most ordinary speakers, I should think. It works like a dream with my Tannoy 2.1 setup. The bass is like a hammer blow, the response throughout the register is fast and precise. It has replaced my trusty Audiolab 8000 A (which now resides in my basement reading room), and I am very happy with the - in my opinion - superior new power source in my HiFi setup.

One thing, though:

The manual doesn't mention with one word how to connect bananas. Here's how to do it:

There are small black plastic inserts on the back of the terminals. These are easily removed with the end of a straghtened paper clip. Now you have the hole that will fit standard bananas. One rewiever on an Asian forum claimed that you have to insert the bananas sideways, into the space meant for bare wires. Not so!

Best regards, monsanto, new on the forum.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I know.

But some people, newcomers maybe, obviously don't, and the manual should tell them, don't you think?

Anyways: Thanks for the "welcome", and a good night to you, Gerrardasnails!

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
As someone who still has, and has been enjoying for 17 years odd, a Pioneer A400, I bought it new in 1990, it still sounds fantastic today and I still get that lump in the throat feeling when listening to my favourite music through it.

I would be very interested to know if the A9 can cut the same mustard? I wait with anticipation too!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Monsanto, welcome. I think you will find that all amps have these plastic covers where the banana plugs go. It's to protect the holes.[/quote]

No, it's recent EU legislation to deter people from trying to connect them to the mains supply, as they thought people would be that stupid. To get round this new legislation, manufacturers plug the holes so that their removal becomes a customer decision and act, therefore any subsequent fatal electrocutions are not their fault as the unit was supplied without the holes showing.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I too have a Pioneer A400 and enjoy its sound immensely. I too would like to know if the new pioneer A-9 is appreciably better. Has anyone managed an AB comparison of both?

Thanks Tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tonky"]
I too have a Pioneer A400 and enjoy its sound immensely. I too would like to know if the new pioneer A-9 is appreciably better. Has anyone managed an AB comparison of both?

[/quote]

Hifi News & RR or Hifi World (I can't remember but it was one of the two) did a comparison between both new pioneers A-6/A-9 and a A400. Both compared favorably to the old model (not really a surprise).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts