Pioneer A-70-K

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Cannot find much reviews on the Pioneer A-70-K recent amplifier.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/A-70-K/page.html

It seems to be more or less ignored here. But the specs and price of this amplifier seem very interesting. It has digital inputs, a built in DAC and a phono input.

Any clues why it has not been in any reviews? I read that this system is a class D amplifier (whatever that means for a non-engineer) and that is something that the audiophiles seem to dislike until now...

I am trying to set an audioning myself but, If anyone has yet heard this amplifier, pls drop a line and comment.

Cheers,

Vasco

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
This was written 16 januari. Have you, or anyone else participating on these forums, tried it out since then? Maybe even gotten it for your personaI Hifi. I would like very much to hear a little review of it since I'm in the process of going with the A-70 myself. If I do decide to go with A-70 then I will use the comparable CD-player which is PD-50.

DanielTura

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi-Fi Choice did a review on that amp in theyr Feb 2013 issue u might want to check that out.

Class D(digital) means high efficency(aka doesnt need a huge PSU to drive it).Desing is more important than the class its runing in.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
DanielTura said:
Hi-Fi Choice did a review on that amp in theyr Feb 2013 issue u might want to check that out.

Class D(digital) means high efficency(aka doesnt need a huge PSU to drive it).Desing is more important than the class its runing in.

There's this recent one.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pioneer-a-70

Just for reference the A-70-K is the black version and A-70-S is the silver version. I'm pretty sure they sound exactly the same.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ID. said:
Just for reference the A-70-K is the black version and A-70-S is the silver version. I'm pretty sure they sound exactly the same.

Indeed: K is for kuro.

BTW, the Pioneer is in a seven-way Supertest in the May issue of the magazine, on sale today:

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/newsarchive5/amplifier_supertest_0.jpg

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:

The black one sounds a bit warmer because black absorbs heat while silver reflects it...

(for the record, I'm kidding, before a certain forum quotes out of context, which will probably happen anyway :rofl: )

As many may already know, I really like the A50 and A70.

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently got the A-50 amplifier for a bargain price and think it is an excellent piece of kit. Holds its own against my main Cyrus/B&W set up.

I have not heard the A-70 but I imagine it is not significantly better and is £300 to £400 more expensive. Seems to me a lot to pay essentially just for the DAC functionality, which seems largely to be the only difference between the two, and which I personally did not need.

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I need some advice myself concerning the issue of A-50 vs A-70. Have pretty much decided on the CD player PD-50 and had the A-70 on a short trial period during the weekend. Absolutely, I was impressed by the A-70, a clear and open sound that really raised the bar for my speakers.

However, thinking about this from a money aspect and from other aspects of what I need I am currently going in the direction that vfc has taken. Is there really A N Y difference in sound quality between the two? Just that comparison when playing CD:s and vinyl? I know of course about the DAC that the A-70 has but the A-50 hasn't got but leaving that particular difference aside for a second. The sound quality as such.

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I need some advice myself concerning the issue of A-50 vs A-70. Have pretty much decided on the CD player PD-50 and had the A-70 on a short trial period during the weekend. Absolutely, I was impressed by the A-70, a clear and open sound that really raised the bar for my speakers.

However, thinking about this from a money aspect and from other aspects of what I need I am currently going in the direction that vfc has taken. Is there really A N Y difference in sound quality between the two? Just that comparison when playing CD:s and vinyl? I know of course about the DAC that the A-70 has but the A-50 hasn't got but leaving that particular difference aside for a second. The sound quality as such.

kapuxino

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
rimbaud65 said:

I was on a similar situation. Didn't have the chance to make a comparision and decided to get the A-50. I'm very happy with the sound. I'm not sure the A-70 would make a noticiable improvement in sound quality. I belive that only the 2 separates transformers could make a difference, if any. It seems your are paying for the DAC and other 'minor' features.

Anyways, I still have two and a half weeks to return my A-50, if you end up making a comparision between the 2 please write it here :D

I'm right now considering the PD-50 player to go with the A-50. It is really dificult to find some info about the player, I would appreciate your opinion about it :)

rimbaud65

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
kapuxino said:
I was on a similar situation. Didn't have the chance to make a comparision and decided to get the A-50. I'm very happy with the sound. I'm not sure the A-70 would make a noticiable improvement in sound quality. I belive that only the 2 separates transformers could make a difference, if any. It seems your are paying for the DAC and other 'minor' features.

Anyways, I still have two and a half weeks to return my A-50, if you end up making a comparision between the 2 please write it here :D

I'm right now considering the PD-50 player to go with the A-50. It is really dificult to find some info about the player, I would appreciate your opinion about it :)

Yes, my thinking exactly regarding the two separate transformers in the A-70. That is one for the preamp and the other for the power amp if I understood it correctly, which I did. I don't think that the other features are that important. So I concur that the transformers are probably the key here. Now on the A-50, it's much harder to find reviews on that, so that's a problem. It's a matter of fact, I haven't found a single review of the A-50, only of the A-70 which is not hard at all to find reviews on.

For me personally, as it stands now, I will probably go the same way and decide between the amplifiers based on the need for a DAC, while assuming that there isn't any noticable difference in sound quality between them at all while playing vinly and CD:s. So I guess I will go for the A-50. The guy in the store selling these babies has promised me that I will be able to go with the A-50 and then change it in a week or so if I find it necessary to upgrade to the A-70 nonetheless. Again, what I really would like here is that someone, who in fact has made a listening comparison, gives some kind of judgment on the matter.

I don't believe it is difficult to find reviews on the PD-50 though, is it`? I have pretty much decided on the PD-50 already without thinking to much about it.

TRENDING THREADS