Braun Atelier A1 amp (curiosity)

AJM1981

1_m.jpg
Scanning the net I found something worth mentioning. The Braun A1 amplifier designed by Dieter Rams. There is a black and light gray version but given the history of Braun and the influence Rams
had on Jonathan Ive the gray variation could probably gain some more historical and collectors value. Also it provides a nice contrast that the black one kind of lacks from a visual perspective

Specifications
Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 5Hz to 90kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%

Input sensitivity: 2mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 65dB (MM), 95dB (line)

Semiconductors: 46 x transistors, 8 x IC, 14 x LED, 25 x diodes, 1 x relay

Dimensions: 445 x 70 x 375mm

Weight: 8.2kg

______
With a disclaimer I can say that the specs seem quite well. With 5hz it should be able to connect a sub the old fashioned way. In the top it runs beyond the hearable frequencies (don't know why) but a little overhead is an advantage in mixing.

Quality is difficult to grab. User reviews seem to state that it drives really well and that the headphone port is of great quality.

For practical reasons and servicing costs I usually don't get vintage amps. Though this one seems attractive in being different.

sidenote: It was mainly popular at the German market in its golden years. Guess the best ground to find them will remain overthere.

Last edited:

AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts