Pioneer a-50da and a-70da

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just had a look at the pics of the 9070 compared to the 9000R (as in Reference Range) which costs £400 more.

Outwardly they look exactly the same. Even opened up its difficult to straight away see the difference but the 9000R uses two pairs of output devices p/ch as opposed to the one pair of the 9070.

Power specs are exactly the same down to quoted consumption. A bit surprising.

The least I would expect is better current delivery with resulting increase in power consumption.

Perhaps the single pair output devices are run harder in the 9070?

There are arguments (Gamut) that single pair of output devices have advantages over multiple ones.

Is it worth paying the extra? Don't know.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't rely on power consumption specs, manufcturers write whatever.

More output pairs is good if the amp will work with low impedance and pushed hard.

Not an improvement if it will live the easy life. Trannies have to be perfectly matched to get as good results as a single pair. I doubt Onkyo does what Naim does regarding components matching.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To the op. I also like the look and build of the larger Pioneer A70DA, particularly the low power consumption and high functionality but the power output is only about 25w more than the A30. For something different try the Denon PMA 1600NE, which is about the same price.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
To the op. I also like the look and build of the larger Pioneer A70DA, particularly the low power consumption and high functionality but the power output is only about 25w more than the A30. For something different try the Denon PMA 1600NE, which is about the same price. 

I had a Denon PMA1500ae for a while. I didn't get on with it and a Cyrus was a substantial improvement imho. I thought a Denon PM355UK was more musical than its bigger later brother.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I did look at the Denon, but where I live the a70da costs €999 and the Denon x1,5 as much with €1599. For that money I can also buy a Hegel H80. I do read a lot of good things of the a70da and all those reviews are based on the a70da being €1599 at launch. €999 is starting to look like a good deal. The thing weighs a damn 17kg.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just browsed a few reviews, a couple German.

The concensus seems good build and a precise somewhat analytical sound. Lacks reserves at high volumes. Good speaker control and no 'flab'.

Probably best partnered with a warm sounding source and speaker, one that is perhaps slightly under damped.

That's simply taken from reviews. I haven't heard the Pioneer.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I also translated some German, Czech and Scandinavian reviews and got the same impression. My Sonus Faber Principia 3 are slighly on the warm side and tbh the negatives in the reviews do not apply to my situation. Plus I have the Pioneer N50A which I love. Guess I gave myself enough reasons to buy this bad boy.

What I still dont know is if I really need the 70da over the 50da since I dont need the extra connections and inputs from the 70 and both amps have the same power output and dac etc. Although the 70 gives a more premium feeling.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the design and their marketing gab, they went to great lenght to get most clean sound possible. Separate PSUs, dual chassis, isolation sections, extra shielding, quality components etc. So is it brightness or is ti clarity? Is it lack of bass or lack of boomy overhang? Is it boring or neutral? Is it unmusical or accurate?

I'd pair it with easy to drive speakers for best results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts