Pioneer a-50da and a-70da

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Any users? I used to be realy happy with my old a-30 but because of some changes I need a little more power. I wonder what the major differences are between the two since they both provide the same power and come with the same DAC. a-70 has some more connections but I wonder if thats the only reason its €500 more expensive.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Better build quality, better PSU, balanced output, phono MM + MC. Difference of extra 6kg in favor of the a-70da.

But if you are after more power (quantity) then perhaps something else. These are of equal power to the A-30, not really an upgrade in that department.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think Pioneer have lost it in the Hifi industry. Every so often they bring middle of road integrateds out that sound so so.

Granted, you get a very decent DAC and that is probably about the best thing about this product.

If it was me and a full sized component was necessary I'd get a Marantz PM6006, a HifimeDIY UDA 18 USB and Spdif DAC and a Cromecast Audio. That way your covered on all bases and still save money.

Another option to the Pioneer mentioned is an Onkyo TX8270, the latest version of a successful and highly regarded line of Receivers. Streams too and is more powerful than the Pioneer. They normally measure around the 100 to 110w/8ohm and 3/4 more into half that.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Reason I am looking into those is I realy enjoy using the Pioneer n-50a streamer and the a50 or 70 matches build-wise, coming from the a30. Was hoping to keep it all in the same style. Guess I will be better off with a Cambridge cx60, Quad Vena or the Marantz etc..

Edit: or even save a little longer for the new Naim uniti Atom and get rid of both of the pioneer.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Guess I will be better off with a Cambridge cx60, Quad Vena or the Marantz etc..

Not necessarily. Everyone has different opinions and experiences. From what I see Pioneer make very good quality equipment that seems to last for years and years. They are a little quiter in the hifi industry than before.

Having said that, lots of the newer amps look similar and differenct brands often don't look out of place with one another. If remote controls are an issue there are many one for all solutions there also (and even some brands remotes can learn to work other brands)

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have an A-30. The A-50/70 would be nice, but for their new prices these are just jokes. The Marantz 600X series would not make a difference, I heard them, they don't have more grip on the speakers. The CXA-60 has similar sonic characteristic, but naturally better in every way, and it has a great price. In the 60-80 watt range you have great options, and on the used market you can have even better deals (Arcam, Primare, Hegel, Vincent etc.).

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Because I also own the a30 and think it is one of the best budget amps ever made I still believe in the quality Pioneer can provide. Doesnt mean the rest is just as good ofcourse. I dont like the looks of the cxa60 and it is also £250 more expensive than the a50da which costs me 500. Its funny because I know I will be happy with whatever amp I pick in the pricerange of 500-1000, and yet I still feel this urge to lift every rock trying to find the "best" one for me. Probably a familiar feeling for many here.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll take the Pioneer a-70da over lightweight Marantz PM-6006 without doubt. Would I go for the Pio over a Marantz PM-8005? Hmmm not really sure. Both built very well, but different.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Personally I think Pioneer have lost it in the Hifi industry. Every so often they bring middle of road integrateds out that sound so so.

Granted, you get a very decent DAC and that is probably about the best thing about this product.

If it was me and a full sized component was necessary I'd get a Marantz PM6006, a HifimeDIY UDA 18 USB and Spdif DAC and a Cromecast Audio. That way your covered on all bases and still save money.

Another option to the Pioneer mentioned is an Onkyo TX8270, the latest version of a successful and highly regarded line of Receivers. Streams too and is more powerful than the Pioneer. They normally measure around the 100 to 110w/8ohm and 3/4 more into half that.

How do modern stereo receivers like this Onkyo compare to any half decent integrated sound quality wise nowadays?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
drummerman said:

How do modern stereo receivers like this Onkyo compare to any half decent integrated sound quality wise nowadays?

Dunno. I can only go by reviews and Onkyo's seem to do fairly well. Concensus seems to be they are musical rather than hifi sounding, slightly on the warm side of neutral and powerful.

The 8150 is probably better value than the new 8270 but the latter is better equiped and has a few more watts.

My guess is that it is what most folks ever need. Problem with all integrated solutions can be that part of it may be out dated at some point.

Still, a genuine 100 watter for 5 to 600 quid with all the gubblins included is not bad.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Then there is the 9070 for £749 or thereabouts for the more 'purist'. Still has a DAC and MM/MC stage. Quite a bruiser too.

Not bad either considering the 9000R is £400 more.

Seem to sound rather good too according to a few youtube vids.

A lot of amplifier for the money. - Rated at 140w/ch into 4ohm at 0.05% THD both channels, 75w/ch 8ohm at 0.05% again both channels and 20hz to 20khz. By all intends and purposes this is a nominal 100 watter at most mags 1% THD measurements.

Rated to 1 ohm! 18 kgs.

I want one.

Reactions: lindo68

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Will use it with Sonus Faber Principia 3. Mostly playing spotify premium and cd's, and some casual Netflix etc so I think this 8150 or 8270 will suit me just fine. Thanks for introducing the Onkyo, based on the reviews it must be quite something.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Then there is the 9070 for £749 or thereabouts for the more 'purist'. Still has a DAC and MM/MC stage. Quite a bruiser too.

A lot of amplifier for the money. - Rated at 140w/ch into 4ohm at 0.05% THD both channels, 75w/ch 8ohm at 0.05% again both channels and 20hz to 20khz. By all intends and purposes this is a nominal 100 watter at most mags 1% THD measurements.

Rated to 1 ohm! 18 kgs.

I want one.

That is a big boy!

Photo of the voltage amplifier in the middle and those current amp Sankens on each side.

Look at those high current copper rails.

PS - Case reminds me of the new Technics amps lookswise.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Will use it with Sonus Faber Principia 3. Mostly playing spotify premium and cd's, and some casual Netflix etc so I think this 8150 or 8270 will suit me just fine. Thanks for introducing the Onkyo, based on the reviews it must be quite something.

HifiWorld (and others) always seem to review Onkyo Receivers well. They measure good too but despite that don't seem to sound 'soulless'.

I think you'd be happy with either.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Rated to 1 ohm! 18 kgs.

I want one.

That is a big boy!

Photo of the voltage amplifier in the middle and those current amp Sankens on each side.

I had a feeling this would get you going :)

Not quite as 'pretty' as the Yammy 2100 but at a grand less who's complaining.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Rated to 1 ohm! 18 kgs.

I want one.

That is a big boy!

I had a feeling this would get you going :)

Not quite as 'pretty' as the Yammy 2100 but at a grand less who's complaining.

It is a nice looking brute, I must admit.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thoughts of selling cyrus spring to mind but the big O doesn't exactly agree with my 'small is beautiful' concept!

Wonder how it sounds compared to a DB930 ... .

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Pioneer and some other brands seem to make the same type of stereo receivers. They all kinda look alike and I wouldnt be surprised if they sound pretty much the same aswell. I like the look of the Onkyo though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:

Rated to 1 ohm! 18 kgs.

I want one.

Thats a hell of a lot of amp for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts