Pioneer A-300R Precision

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Im looking for a Pioneer A-300R Precision amplifier as ive heard and read such good things about it and with further mods available would be an added bonus.

I do realise they are 'very rare' to come by so will stay on the look out.

What i really want to know is has anyone on these forums heard the amp in question in action and can describe its sound to me?

Also ive read on here that its better than the legendary A-400, A400X (which i own and prefer it to the original A-400) and also betters the A-400GTE

How true are these claims?

Some replies would be appreciated

A

Anonymous

Depends on your ears. Never liked the A300R - too thin and forward for my ears, but it was a trendsetter in putting detail to the fore.

These amps, along with quite a few others, have benefitted greatly from hindsight.

A

Anonymous

You mentioned the A-300R, did you mean the £200 standard amp or the £400 precision version?

A

Anonymous

I get the impression Dim_span and Matthewpiano dont come on the forums very often? lol

A

Anonymous

He did mention it was the "Precision" model so guessing that answers your question.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

We own a Pioneer A-300R Precision amplifier and it does produce a wonderful rich and rounded sound. However, I need some new speakers, so am not the best judge. It was definaly worth the extra money we paid in 1998 and we still enjoy it today.

Kris

bluedjdaz2010 said:
Hi

Im looking for a Pioneer A-300R Precision amplifier as ive heard and read such good things about it and with further mods available would be an added bonus.

I do realise they are 'very rare' to come by so will stay on the look out.

What i really want to know is has anyone on these forums heard the amp in question in action and can describe its sound to me?

Also ive read on here that its better than the legendary A-400, A400X (which i own and prefer it to the original A-400) and also betters the A-400GTE

How true are these claims?

Some replies would be appreciated

Hi bluedjdaz2010

I know the A-300R Precision well as i used to sell them. I wouldn't say the A-300R Precision was any better then the A-400X it was more a case of being different. The A-300R Precision had a highlighted and upfront presentation whereas by comparion the A-400X was softer and laid back.

Having said this as good as the A-300R Precision is however it is not in the same league as the great A-400. The downside that i found with the A-400 is that although modestly priced it requires very high quality source components and speakers to help unlock its awesome performance potential. The A-400 will happily accomodate sources and speakers such as Stax DAC-1Xt, Chord Electronics QBD76, Dynaudio Contour/Confidence, KEF Reference Model 3.2 etc.

By design, luck or a combination of both Pioneer's engineers struck gold with their A-400 :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts