Picture Quality Priority - which BluRay Player?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

I need a dedicated blu ray player to replace my PS3. I do not have or intend to have any surround sound so the priority is the picture quality. Budget is up to £500. Are there any players out there that particularly excel in that area?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Judging by the current WHF Supertest, the Pioneer BDP-320 is the current champion at around that budget, but it's worth looking for heavily discounted older models such as the Pioneer BDP-LX08 or the Denon DVD-2500BT - as you can see from the reviews, they produce fanastic Blu-Ray picture and sound and both can now be picked up for around £500 according to a quick search through Google.

I have to say though, by ignoring the sound, you are ignoring a large part of the Blu-Ray experience - if having speakers all over the place is a definite no, even updating to the likes of a soundbar or stereo / 2.1 system will dramatically improve the sound from your TV speakers.

nads

professorhat:
It can certainly be bettered...

Can it?

Ok not looked at the PS3 in any way at all but i am strugling to see any improvement over the Panna BD-35.

when looking and seeing poor images it has always been poor TV set up.

OP are you running it through an AV amp or direct to a TV?

cloud7

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
nads:professorhat:

Can it?

Ok not looked at the PS3 in any way at all but i am strugling to see any improvement over the Panna BD-35.

OP are you running it through an AV amp or direct to a TV?

I agree! Poor image almostly due to the HDTV itself

A

Anonymous

Always ensure that your HDTV is calibrated to it's best potential and you will reap the rewards of a fine image.

A

Anonymous

I can attest to that. Spent quite a bit to get my TV calibrated and it's simply superb now.

A

Anonymous

I've just bought an Oppo BDP-83, which currently sits next to my PS3. For PQ, and even load times, the -83 is superior to the PS3.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
nads:professorhat:

Can it?

Erm... yes! I'm not saying the PS3 produces a bad picture, but very simply, spending more money on a standalone player gets you better results. And I don't think the OP has said anywhere he has a bad picture with the PS3, just that he wants to improve on it which he certainly can with a £500 budget with the likes of the players I've mentioned.

Of course, as with everything, you must go and look at these things yourself to ensure you think they are worth the extra money over your existing player - I am merely conveying my opinion.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. In answer to some of the questions:

I have no particular issue with the PS3 on the PQ front but I am selling it so I need a replacement.

For now, the BluRay player will only run into the TV (Panasonic 40 inch Viera plasma, can't remember the exact model number, about a year or so old) so no receiver or other speakers in sight.

My hi fi lives well away from the TV in a dedicated room and while I might be tempted by a soundbar (B&W Panorama anyone?) but not initially.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts