Pick up a Yamaha RX-V863 or wait for a next gen yammy/sony/...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the process of converting my home cinema setup to HD and part of it is selecting a new AV receiver.

I've read wonderfull things about the Yamaha RX-V863.  People are raving about it's dynamics, responsiveness and much more.

Now, I'm having kind of a dilemma.  Should I buy the 863 or wait for a new line of 2009 AV's?

I've peeked already at the RX-V1065 specs.  It looks like more of the same to me and it's lighter as well.

I can get myself an 863 for €595 (around £530) from stock.  Would this be a great buy?

greetings,

Dries 

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
You shouldn't judge an amp on specs alone. Ideally if you're looking for a particular feature or number of inputs, choose a selection of suitable receivers then demo them to get the one that sounds the best to you. I've looked at the specs of the new Yamahas and they might well just be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary but the weight loss is a concern. I am always suspicious when a new model shaves a few lbs off from the outgoing model. That weight has to be going somehwere if extra features and so on are added and it seems to me that they trade off features against better components. The slightly increased quoted wattage figures throughout the range are also a bit dubious in my opinion. This goes for all manufacturers btw.

In the end, use your own ears and if the new models have some features that appeal to you, wait until they arrive and then have a listen. The downside is at the moment, amps are in short supply so by the time the new 2009 receivers arrive the old ones will more than likely have gone. Up to you mate!!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

"The downside is at the moment, amps are in short supply so by the time the new 2009 receivers arrive the old ones will more than likely have gone."

ÿ

This is indeed my point of concern.

I have already auditioned the yammy 863 and I liked it very much (sounded warmer than my current Sony DA1200ES). ÿI think at £530 I'm not scoring the greatest deal, but the 863 already seems quite hard to come by.

A

Anonymous

I would go for it if you like the sound,as long as it has got all the features that you need.

The new one will probably be more expensive for a while, and might even stay that way with most of the prices going up at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Okay, I've made my decision...

I went for the OnkyoÿTX-SR706ÿinstead :).

Yesterday I heard the yammy 863 is not all the great in upconverting analog to HDMI and since I have an old Nintendo 64 laying around on which I still play it really was something that bothered me.

Hope I like it :)...ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts