Phono Stage upgrade Marantz PM6010-KI Sig

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

I'm currently running the above amp with the Rega P3, but have been thinking if I can obtain a good step up in sound quality by adding the likes of the Cambridge 640P phono amp? I've heard good things about it - both in terms of sound quality and the quality you get for the £60 or so that it costs. Would this be a decent step up from the Marantz onboard phonostage, or alternatively, should I also think about Graham Slee's entry level amp? What others ought to be on the shopping list at this pricepoint? I want an open, clear and detailed sound, something that slightly opens up the Rega's warmth but not at the expense of depth. What are the Moving Coil options at this price range as I think the 640P offers this too? (Secondhand, I'd love to think about a Trichord Dino, but chances are this is probably out the price range...!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the phono stage on the KI amps is one of the things about which Ken has always been very forthcoming, pointing out that they'd really been thought through and not just included as an afterthought. And having heard the massive old Marantz turntable in his dem room running through the amps, I can't say I ever found anything much amiss in that department.

What I think I'm saying is that you'll have to spend quite a lot of dosh to get a better phono stage than the onboard one - probably more than the Cambridge - and by that stage you may find the amp, excellent though it is, more of a limiting factor than, say the entry level Graham Slee or the Dino. It's a bit Catch-22, really...

T

the record spot

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply - think I'll probably stick with it as is for now in that case. I'll probably get more from upgrading the cartridge (currently a Rega Elys).

What would you suggest from the new Ortofon 2M, their Salsa, Goldring's 1042GX or one of the other long-in-the-tooth-but-still-a-bit-handy vinyl riders out there?! Clare recommended the Ortofon 2M on another thread and it has a good write up elsewhere too, but is it going to be a big step up from the Elys (which is pretty detailed but a touch too warm at times)?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the_record_spot"]I'm currently running the above amp with the Rega P3, but have been thinking if I can obtain a good step up in sound quality by adding the likes of the Cambridge 640P phono amp? I've heard good things about it - both in terms of sound quality and the quality you get for the £60 or so that it costs.

Would this be a decent step up from the Marantz onboard phonostage, or alternatively, should I also think about Graham Slee's entry level amp? What others ought to be on the shopping list at this pricepoint? I want an open, clear and detailed sound, something that slightly opens up the Rega's warmth but not at the expense of depth. What are the Moving Coil options at this price range as I think the 640P offers this too?
(Secondhand, I'd love to think about a Trichord Dino, but chances are this is probably out the price range...!)
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat.I also have the Marantz pm6010-KI Sig, with a Rega RB300 (on a Technics SL-1210M5G) tonearm holding an Ortofon VMS20e Mk2 cartridge.

I previously used a Leak 3001 turntable, and when I introduced a Pro-ject phono pre-amp(the first one for £40) with Eccose CA-1 (50cm) interconnects there was definately a small but noticable improvement.The Bass was a little tighter, but the biggest improvement was in the opening of the soundstage.Instruments were a little more spread out, vocals were also more lifelike.I felt though, that the £40 for the pre-amp, and the £40 for the interconnect, was not really justified as the internal phono stage of the Marantz is very good, and more than adequate.

What I have decided though (especially as I have now upgraded to the Technics/Rega/Ortofon combination), is to attempt to upgrade certain components on the onboard pre-amp within the Marantz Amplifier, to try and squeeze out that last bit of performance.The first place I'll start is by replacing all of the capacitors with "Black Gate" caps, and possibly replacing any relevant wiring with silver plated wire.

At the moment though, I'm more interested in replacing the interconnects on the Rega tonearm to supply the pre-amp with the best possible feed.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
2m range will work well with the rega and are easy to fit,i quite liked the rega cartridge as i found it didn't pick up much surface noise but it did sound a bit safe,an alternative is the at 440mla.good luck,gregory.

T

the record spot

Thanks for the tips guys - as it happens, I had a bit of an improvement lashing out a mighty £15 on a granite chopping board from Tesco and some rubber feet frmo the local DIY store. Roughly an hour's work got me tighter bass and better clarity. Cheaper than a Seismic Sink, sorry townshend, but the cartridge probably should go. Age and time are against it!

Saw good reviews for the new Ortofon and Goldring ranges, so will likely check those out, as well as the Rega Super Elys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts