Phono Preamplifier

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I currently have a Technics SLBD20D turntable with an AT85EP P mount cartridge using the preamp stage of a Yamaha RN803. Would there be any benefit in considering a separate preamp and if so which ones to consider and what would the benefits would be? All opinions appreciated. Thank you!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
There is a benefit, but in all honesty, you'll see far more benefit in changing your cart first to a slightly higher-end model, you don't need to go mad though. That's if other carts fit that player which I'm sure they do.

Reactions: Dave B

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thank you! I believe that I am limited to a P mount cartridge but I could be wrong about that.

You are yes, you're best to ring around a few dealers and see what you have at your disposal I'm sure there's plenty and there easily postably.

It will be the best £ $ you spend.

You'll be breathing new life into your records and hearing detail and bass you never knew was there. It's that pronounced. spend around 100-150 and make sure you get one with replaceable tips like the ortofon 2m series.

I'm sure there will be someone along that can recommend some P mount variants to you.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
You are yes, you're best to ring around a few dealers and see what you have at your disposal I'm sure there's plenty and there easily postably.

You'll be breathing new life into your records and hearing detail and bass you never knew was there. It's that pronounced. spend around 100-150 and make sure you get one with replaceable tips like the ortofon 2m series.

I'm sure there will be someone along that can recommend some P mount variants to you.
Thank you :)

He probably has the best that is currently available already fitted....

As far as I can see, this fits onto a P-Mount arm, to be able to use a 1/2 inch (normal) cartridge.
tbh, I don’t think there would be many people wanting to do the other way round.
I may be wrong on this though. It’s not something I’ve ever done.

Last edited:

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks but does this not adapt a non-p mount tone arm to a p mount cartridge not the other way around unless I misunderstand?
You are correct ! These adapters are for mounting a P-Mount cartridge to 1/2 inch turntable only.... If you can find one, a good solution is to find an Ortofon OMP cartridge, as you can mount the needles from the OM series ( OMP 5, 10,20, 40 )

this should do it.
good spot, never seen one of those. However I wouldn't want to hang a heavy cartridge off this four spindly connections.....
EDIT,
No, ignore me.
that's going the wrong way as I stated before
The OP would need a 1/2 inch to P-Mount

Last edited:

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
You are correct ! These adapters are for mounting a P-Mount cartridge to 1/2 inch turntable only.... If you can find one, a good solution is to find an Ortofon OMP cartridge, as you can mount the needles from the OM series ( OMP 5, 10,20, 40 )
Thanks, I will take a look for that

manicm

There is a benefit, but in all honesty, you'll see far more benefit in changing your cart first to a slightly higher-end model, you don't need to go mad though. That's if other carts fit that player which I'm sure they do.

On the other hand a good cartridge could be wasted on a mediocre phono stage.

I'd say finds permitting he should change both. Something reasonably priced like iFi or Rega.

On the other hand a good cartridge could be wasted on a mediocre phono stage.

I'd say finds permitting he should change both. Something reasonably priced like iFi or Rega.
what gives you reason to believe the phono stage in the Yamaha is mediocre?
It will certainly be good enough for any p-mount he can find for that turntable, in my opinion.
however, truth be told, if it were me I would sell it and buy a standard turntable that will accept much more in the way of upgrading should vinyl be in his system to stay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts