Phono Pre-amplifier choice less than 100€

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just got a cheap phono pre amp from Maplin which I m not happy with and I'd like to invest in a slightly better one but cannot exceed a budget of 100€.

What would you recommend?

Cheers

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
What are you not happy with specifically?

You could do worse than go with the one in my signature that I've recently bought from Beresfords (of Dac fame) for £43 delivered. The same one is being sold under another badge, Revolver Phono 2 for £129.99. Same model basically.

Other than that the usual suspects, Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audo, NAD all do good budget phono amps for about £80/£90 that will probably beat the Maplins cheapo one quite easily. You can pick up decent Pro-Ject phono boxes secondhand for around £50, same with CA and NAD, off Ebay.

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, the maplin one produce very low volume level and the quality of sound.....
smiley-cry.gif

A

Anonymous

What cartridge are you using? Most cartridges/phono amps output level under that of a CD, for example, so it's not unusual to have to crank the volume on your amp up.

Try the Rega Fono mini. It's available for £56 in quite a few places and will be a notable upgrade, but note it's MM only. If you want MM and MC, then try the Musical Fidelity V-LPS.

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advices.

I m currently using an old Ortofon OMB 10 but I ordered a new GRADO Prestige Green that I should receive this week. Hopefully it will be better with the new one
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts