Phono low volume level

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello
emotion-29.gif

I purchased a Technics SL-5210 Turntable a few months back from the US. I mistakenly didnt change the voltage selector and blew a fuse but my tech guy fixed it all up and installed the Nagaoka C51M/II-E MOVING MAGNET ($69.95AU)

I assumed my Technics SU-G50 would have a good phono, but i had to bascially have the volume at 3 to hear it and 5 or more. I went and bought a phono box for $60 but it gave too much bass then, and also threw out the fan on the G50.

I tried it on an old Sony receiver, just as quite maybe a little louder.

I recently purchased a Techncs SU-7300 amp (76-78 vintage), and i assumed it would have a great phono considering the age, its quiter still but the bass is there when u turn it up.

Here are some possible thoughts, could it be the Nagaoka? I would think a 70s amp would be set up for phono.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

You have to bear in mind that phono cartridges typically have quite a low output. (usually 2 - 3 mv)

When you say it plays quietly - quiet relative to what? If you're comparing the levels with a CD player for example, I would expect a big difference in sound levels.

This would be even more noticeable with older amps, as most modern amps have some form of attenuation on the CD input.

So, my question is.. how much lower in relative terms, is it compared to say a tuner or tape deck / cd player?

Tony.

Tony_R:

Hi,

You have to bear in mind that phono cartridges typically have quite a low output. (usually 2 - 3 mv)

When you say it plays quietly - quiet relative to what? If you're comparing the levels with a CD player for example, I would expect a big difference in sound levels.

This would be even more noticeable with older amps, as most modern amps have some form of attenuation on the CD input.

So, my question is.. how much lower in relative terms, is it compared to say a tuner or tape deck / cd player?

Tony.

This may sound like a dopey question: Is the cartridge and amplifiers you've connected it to compatible? Is the the Cartridge MM (Moving Magnet) or MC (Moving Coil)? This could solve your problem.

A

Anonymous

Hello Tony and Plastic Pengium

Yes, Tony, its the phono input, that i use and i know it would be quiter, however i cant hear the LP on volume 1 or 2, till i turn to volume 3 and if i play it at volume 5, that would be like volume 1 if i was playing a CD. Bass lakcs in the new amp with phono, whereas the older amp more bass, though still quite if compared to the tunner by a great amount.

Plastic, its fine i am confused also. Its a MM Cartrige ( not much about it when i seached the net for my model number of Nagaoka). I know some amps have like a MM or MC button

A

Anonymous

hi DistortedVision,
Thank u :)
Yes its MM, and i had my tech guy fit it. So i assume it wouldve been connected properly. Yes, they are the wires at the back of the cartridge? maybe i can see if they are secure xD

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I have a theory....

If I remember correctly, some of those Technics Turntables had a mute circuit, to avoid the inevitable "pop" when the stylus was lifted off at the end of the record.

My guess is, this turntable has some kind of auto return at end of record? Or just an auto lift?

Plugging it in to the wrong voltage could well have damaged the muting circuit - probably just a couple of transistors, which could even be snipped out of circuit to disable them.

Get your techie to have a look.

Cheers,

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tony,

Yes it has a muting screw thing. Yes, maybe your theory is correct. I have an old midi system technics turntable, i played it and heard it fine on volume 1. Yes auto return, and semi auto ( cue down onto record). That has to be it, if not could it be the cartridge. Yes i think i will have to see my tech guy and ask about it.

cheers

Sam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts