Phono input sounding VERY WRONG

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello HiFi world.

Soooo, I have an Audiolab 6000a, I just plugged the interconnect cable from my turntable into the 'phono' port on the amp (for the first time) and when the vinyl started playing, the speakers made all kind of horrid noises (woofers went mad) and so I immediately turned it off.

I usually play via Bluetooth and have had no problems what so ever.

Have I plugged in to the wrong port? It's actually labelled 'phono' as per picture. Could it be a dodgy cable? It's my gf's turntable and just a standard cable.

I'm worried I'll damage the amp/speakers.any advise would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• Screenshot-2019-07-01-at-12.00.35.jpg
    Screenshot-2019-07-01-at-12.00.35.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 5
Hey Al, thanks for prompt reply.

I believe it's the Marantz TT5005.

Thanks
Thought so.
Move the cables to your amp into any of the Aux sockets.
That turntable has a built-in phono amp so by plugging in to phono sockets on your amp you are essentially amplifying the cartridge output multiple times
Either this or switch off the phono preamp on the turntable if you can.
Let me know how you get on.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thought so.
Move the cables to your amp into any of the Aux sockets.
That turntable has a built-in phono amp so by plugging in to phono sockets on your amp you are essentially amplifying the cartridge output multiple times
Either this or switch off the phono preamp on the turntable if you can.
Let me know how you get on.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Much thanks for the info, I will try the aux sockets first thing in the morning.

Cheers Al!

Den

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
With more and more turntables coming out with inbuilt phono stages you may very well be right.
They have their place but caution is certainly advised, hopefully there is no permanent damage.
Hi Al, working perfectly now thank you.

Oh ****, I hope nothing's damaged, the speakers sound ok, what would have likely suffered, amp, turntable of speakers? Or all, potentially?

So was the idea, that effectively the turntable was trying to be powered by two different amps?

Last edited:
Hi Al, working perfectly now thank you.

Oh ****, I hope nothing's damaged, the speakers sound ok, what would have likely suffered, amp, turntable of speakers? Or all, potentially?

So was the idea, that effectively the turntable was trying to be powered by two different amps?
The cartridge was amplified to line level by the inbuilt phono preamp and that was being 're-amplified by the phono stage in the amp.
Sounds like you caught it in time as speakers were likely to be the first thing fried..... :)

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The cartridge was amplified to line level by the inbuilt phono preamp and that was being 're-amplified by the phono stage in the amp.
Sounds like you caught it in time as speakers were likely to be the first thing fried..... :)
Hey Al, thanks. I don't believe there's any audible damage to the speakers.

Just thought I'd mention, I wanted to see the difference in quality between streaming via bluetooth and using the turntable, so streamed a track (I know well) through Tidal Hifi, then I played the exact same track as vinyl.....the vinyl sounded really quite terrible, compressed, very quiet, had to turn the amp up considerably more to hear it at a good level.

Should this be the case, such a difference in quality? Just read that vinyl is equivalent to 32 kbps and Tidal 1411 kbps, guess that's quite a jump. Is it also to do with the fact that now i'm using the built in phono amp and not the one in my Audiolab, which i assume is much better?

I know that turntable isn't particularly expensive, so might also play a factor in the sound quality.

Thanks

Hey Al, thanks. I don't believe there's any audible damage to the speakers.

Just thought I'd mention, I wanted to see the difference in quality between streaming via bluetooth and using the turntable, so streamed a track (I know well) through Tidal Hifi, then I played the exact same track as vinyl.....the vinyl sounded really quite terrible, compressed, very quiet, had to turn the amp up considerably more to hear it at a good level.

Should this be the case, such a difference in quality? Just read that vinyl is equivalent to 32 kbps and Tidal 1411 kbps, guess that's quite a jump. Is it also to do with the fact that now i'm using the built in phono amp and not the one in my Audiolab, which i assume is much better?

I know that turntable isn't particularly expensive, so might also play a factor in the sound quality.

Thanks
I don't know that turntable. Is there a switch on the back to turn off the inbuilt phono preamp.
If there is try switching it off then connect your cables into amps phono sockets and have another listen.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

I don't know that turntable. Is there a switch on the back to turn off the inbuilt phonological preamp.
If there is try switching it off then connect your cables into amps phono sockets and have another listen.
Indeed, if you can turn off the phono pre on the tt, then you can plug it into the phono socket on your amp and it will use the amplifier's phonostage - maybe that's "voiced" closer to the rest of the amplifier's inputs.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't know that turntable. Is there a switch on the back to turn off the inbuilt phono preamp.
Hey,I can't see an option to turn off the inbuild amp at all. Shame.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Indeed, if you can turn off the phono pre on the tt, then you can plug it into the phono socket on your amp and it will use the amplifier's phonostage - maybe that's "voiced" closer to the rest of the amplifier's inputs.
Hey,I can't see an option to turn off the inbuild amp at all. Shame. I don't think it's even in terms of voicing it sounds different, it just sounds a lot worst.

D

Deleted member 108165

Hey,I can't see an option to turn off the inbuild amp at all. Shame. I don't think it's even in terms of voicing it sounds different, it just sounds a lot worst.
Agree with Al, it can be switched off. According to the user guide there's a slider equaliser switch on the rear which you need to set to OFF then connect to your amp phono input.

How old is the cartridge as the user guide states 400 hours before replacement.

Getting vinyl LPs to sound good can be a very expensive hobby as it can require expensive kit to sound its best.

BAJA Geazer

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
There is or can be a lot more to this than many may assume. A TT sound is dependent on THREE things, and pretty much in this order: 1. The quality of the TT. 2. The quality of the cartridge and needle. 3. The quality of the phono pre-amp and it’s RIAA equalization. Most phono inputs on older amps and receivers are for MM (moving magnet) cartridges. Many high end cartridges are MC (Moving Coil) that require a different input or setting, as they need more pre-amplification and a better RIAA equalizer. A MC cartridge into a MM phono input with no switching would sound TERRIBLE and need to be turned up from the amp volume a lot more to get loud ... but still sound awful.

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Agree with Al, it can be switched off. According to the user guide there's a slider equaliser switch on the rear which you need to set to OFF then connect to your amp phono input.

How old is the cartridge as the user guide states 400 hours before replacement.

Getting vinyl LPs to sound good can be a very expensive hobby as it can require expensive kit to sound its best.
Hey, many thanks for your advise. I've found the user manual online also, the switch is not accessible from the back unless I remove the cover, I may have a go at doing this but not ideal. ***UPDATE*** Switch was actually under the rubber slip map. Going to try phono input on my Audiolab again now. Praying it's all ok.

One thing I will mention is that this turntable has been played through and old Pure DMX 50 hifi my girlfriend had and it sounded much better than on my system, maybe linking up to the phono input with the inbuilt amp engaged has damaged the amp in the tt.

Last edited:

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, just at advise, I found the switch (located under the rubber matt), some pages references in the manual gave the impression it was on the back on the unit.

Any how, have turned it up and feel it sounds exactly as it should, volume level is similar to bluetooth output and quality is as expected.

Thanks for all your help!

Den

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There is or can be a lot more to this than many may assume. A TT sound is dependent on THREE things, and pretty much in this order: 1. The quality of the TT. 2. The quality of the cartridge and needle. 3. The quality of the phono pre-amp and it’s RIAA equalization. Most phono inputs on older amps and receivers are for MM (moving magnet) cartridges. Many high end cartridges are MC (Moving Coil) that require a different input or setting, as they need more pre-amplification and a better RIAA equalizer. A MC cartridge into a MM phono input with no switching would sound TERRIBLE and need to be turned up from the amp volume a lot more to get loud ... but still sound awful.
Hi mate, many thanks for your imput, appreciate that. Switching the inbuilt amp on the tt off and using the MM on my Audiolab has given me the desired results, sounds much more like I would hope now in terms of sound quality and volume. Cheers!

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts