phono amps

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
always been into vinyl and have now upgraded my cartridge on my rega planner 2 to audio technica at120 and swapped the foam mat for leather.i am using a project phono amp the £50 basic version,now thinking about upgrading this to a graham slee communicator or project phono s or rega mm all close to the £200 mark.any suggestions my music is rock/metal.iuse pionner a50 and monitor audio silver 6.

jordanfx said:
always been into vinyl and have now upgraded my cartridge on my rega planner 2 to audio technica at120 and swapped the foam mat for leather.i am using a project phono amp the £50 basic version,now thinking about upgrading this to a graham slee communicator or project phono s or rega mm all close to the £200 mark.any suggestions my music is rock/metal.iuse pionner a50 and monitor audio silver 6.

The Graham Slee Communicator Gram Amp 2 would be my choice for that money, it also won a shoot-out in this months HiFi Choice magazine.

K

keeper of the quays

Not sure if they still do ca 640p? If not? Maybe second hand..my mates uses one as a back up phono stage..he says very good...his turntable and amp cost 75k...guess the 640p must be ok then? Hope this helps?

The 640p was a £60 preamp and quite good for what it did. However, the newer model is the 651p at £99, and I have not heard this. They are all built to a price point but can be bettered by moving up the price range a bit.

For large improvements I would recommend the OP looks at upgrading his cartridge when he can afford to do so in line with the phono amp as there is only so much a £89 cartridge can do. Having said that it is a good one for that money, a bit toppy and not hugely smooth but a good tracker.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm using a 640P, bought s/h, fed by my RP3/Nagaoka MP110, and I'm very happy with the sound, so if you can find a used one, give it a go. The 640P can also be upgraded to a whole new level, too, should you want to upgrade it. This applies to the 651P, too.

+1 for the cartridge upgrade advice, too.

K

keeper of the quays

Brilliant phono stage..as I mentioned before..my mate got a very flash turntable and uses a 640p..he says it's very good!

K

keeper of the quays

I use a denon dl110 with mine..using the Mc option...

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... and a builder of his DAK Genera, which is very similar to the Communicator, for my son, I can recommend his phono stages very highly. Why not join the Slee forum and arrange a no obligation home loan of the Communicator? You'll be able to get to know it over a couple of weeks.

ifor said:
... and a builder of his DAK Genera, which is very similar to the Communicator, for my son, I can recommend his phono stages very highly. Why not join the Slee forum and arrange a no obligation home loan of the Communicator? You'll be able to get to know it over a couple of weeks.

Out of the two choices the Slee, but there are better options for a little more outlay. It's going to depend on wherever you set your budget.

Bear in mind that once you have the phonostage then a cartridge upgrade will bring greater benefits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts