Phono amp or new brio R??

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I will be looking to at the very least upgrade my phono amp soon. I have a cheap £20 phono amp bought from ebay just to get me started. I was all sorted to buy a graham slee box but now all this talk of the brio R and its exceptionaly abilities and phono stage I am in two minds what to do? If I went the brio R route I would be replacing a fairly recently purchased s/hand nad c370 which I is a pretty decent amp and happy enough with at the moment. I am getting comfortable with vinyl now though and if It was thought a decent improvement could come from getting the brio R I might be tempted!

What do you think would be best to do. Spend a couple of hundred on a suitable phono amp and stick with the NAD, or, go all out and get a new brio R??

A

Anonymous

Personally, having heard the NAD C370 and the Rega Brio R recently (both 2nd hand); with your set-up I'd keep the NAD and buy yourself a decent phono amp. The NAD PP2's crop up regulalry on eBay and would do a very good job!

There are plenty to chose from and some at great prices currently so I'd say your worlds your oyster

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Nad_Fanatic

In your opinion how did the 370 compare with the Brio R.

At the retail price of the PP3 I'm quite tempted. Still would be interested to hear a comparison on the above mentioned amps?

cheers

David

A

Anonymous

The Brio R is a great amp but for me it just lacked a little in the low end and overall soundstage.

The NAD C370 is a powerhouse of an amp and i have to admit; better suited to my musical tastes but I still felt it sounded better with the Rega RS3's and RS5's and Neat Motive 2's when I demo'd those speakers. Source was an M1CLiC fed via music on a USB stick

The NAD just seems to have all the bases covered better than the Rega; bass was deeper and punchier/tighter. Midrange was very well detailed but not overfacing at any time and the treble was smooth and detailed. I found the Rega to be great in the midrange and treble, especially with vocal music like Norah Jones, Nat King Cole, Jack Johnson etc but the bottom end seemed to lose grip quite easy when it was pushed a bit hard with music like Zero 7, Trentmoller, Mount Kimbie and even some metal like Metallica or Wolfmother etc...

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again - Appreciate it!

I feel my current cheap phono amp is refusing my NAD of a much fuller sound. The biggest issue really as said before is mains hum which can only be coming from the phono amp.

Anyway, new phono amp it is. I will keep a look out. cheers :)

TRENDING THREADS