Philips 42pfl9664 v Philips 47pfl9664 v Samsung 46UE8000 - Awards edition has left me with a dilemma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I created a post on the forums in September entitled "Any reason why the 47" Philips 9664 shouldn't be as good as the 42" model?". I was looking to purchase a 46-47" LCD TV and had narrowed my choices down to the Samsung 46UE8000 and the Philips 47pfl9664 (I have since disregarded the Sony 46Z5500 due to backlighting inconsistency risk). I was wanting to know whether the 47" Philips would be as good as the 42" model

Andy from WFH had kindly responded to highlight that the 47" model was to be reviewed in the Awards edition, which it duly was. My dilemma now is the results. The Samsung got the award for the best 46-47" model, but having read the reviews a number of times my question is this.

It appears that the reason that the Samsung got the award was for its physical appearance (not important in my choice of TV) and its DVD upscaling that are ahead of the Philips model. However, I am purchasing the Sony BDP760 blu-ray player and the Denon AVR2310 receiver and have Sky HD with high-quality interconnects. If I use the upscaling capabilities of the receiver and/or BDP then this should negate this issue in comparing the Samsung and the Philips? Bottom-line, would the Philips then beat the Samsung for picture clarity, especially when dealing with Blu-Ray and HD sources? It is this that is important to me in my decision.

I am looking to purchase this Saturday so a quick response (especially from someone in WHF involved with the respective reviews of these models) would be most welcome.

A

Anonymous

The more pertinent question might be whether the sound quality from the TV is a concern. If so, it may be worth plumping for the Philips, but in terms of picture quality - including Blu-ray - the Samsung is marginally the better telly.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the response Tom. Now another question if I may?

In terms of sound, I have a good quality surround sound set-up, so sound is not so much of an issue.

My final question, on which my ultimate decision may rest with this conclusion being reached concerning the picture quality between the 47" Philips and the 46" Samsung, is whether the picture quality (for Blu-ray and HD sources)on the 46"Samsung is better (even if marginally) that the 42" Philips?

Again, if a response can be provided as soon as possible on this it would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, that's an interesting one. I'd say the smaller Philips probably has the better Blu-ray picture, but yes, it is fairly marginal. If it was me I'd let the size of my room dictate my choice - i.e. if you've got room for a 46incher, get the Samsung. That extra 4in is a big plus-point!

A

Anonymous

Tom, you're an absolute star and your advice has been invaluable. And thanks for the swift response. I'm off on leave for half term next week and can't wait to get all my new kit set up.

bigrich55

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Excuse me using this forum .... it is related as I have similar question ... I am looking to choose between two award winners, the samsung PS50B650 against the UE46B8000.

I know size would be key criteria based on earlier post but I have some flexibility with viewing position and was interested to get a view on which of the two offers best package, particularly in picture quality. Whilst important, cost is not the most important criteria as budget has some flex to as much as £2k.

Richard

A

Anonymous

Hi Tom

I've been following this thread with interest as I have been trying to make the same choice.

I decided to go with the Philips 47PFL9664 in the end as it seems there is marginal picture difference between it and the Samsung but the build quality and finish of the Philips seems much better (+ included 5 year Warranty)

I'm feeding it with a Sky HD box and a PS3 for Blu-Ray movies via a Denon 1910 AV amp with I/P scaling turned on.

Blu-Ray and HD channels are really good right out of the box but SD stuff is still quite poor.

I've spent a few hours going backwards and forwards with settings and still havnt got it quite right.

Can you share the settings you used when testing?

Many thanks

Hugh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts