Pet hates

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:
“ being different is important”.. you should be listening different music on your different hifi Lindsay :)

from my perspective 2018 music is great, sounds good, it’s punchy, got texture, timbre and lyrics are not cheap..

I agree that modern pop music is best to avoid

Such as? I tend to agree with Lindsay on this.

I think if you stop concentrating on mainstream music there is good indie/ alternative/ underground music around and it's far easier for artist of all genres to release and sell their own music today than it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s..

places like bandcamp or radio stations like nts live

the choice of quality music available today is massive.. it's there for those who are willing to dig a little deeper than local radio or bbc radio 1

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Sick and tired of being sick and tired, listening to same old c**p. Last recent popular album I bought was Gregory Porter. Most of the music these days are just over hyped C**p, even including very popular ones from the past.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:
“ being different is important”.. you should be listening different music on your different hifi Lindsay :)

from my perspective 2018 music is great, sounds good, it’s punchy, got texture, timbre and lyrics are not cheap..

I think if you stop concentrating on mainstream music there is good indie/ alternative/ underground music around and it's far easier for artist of all genres to release and sell their own music today than it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s..

the choice of quality music available today is massive.. it's there for those who are willing to dig a little deeper than local radio or bbc radio 1

Let's get one thing straight, I don't listen to mainstream modern music generally, I don't listen to local radio or BBC radio apart from in the car. Yes there is some decent music but it few and far between and none IMHO that is as good as the classic albums of the 60/70s maybe it's my taste or when I grew up? Not keen on the 80s that was second rate. Play quite a bit of 50s jazz as well. I will try your 2018 list, only know a few of those, damien jurado - the horizon just laughed, is one of his better albums.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
tonky said:
ellisdj said:
you will find plenty of that on YT no need to watch such a handsome and charismatic audiophile such as yours truly

+1 (screened ram in my camera too!)

tonky

are you happy that there is plenty of bull **** on you tube or what?

Never watch or listen to a hifi review on u tube - my laptop speakers can't do it justice.

tonky

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:

Let's get one thing straight, I don't listen to mainstream modern music generally, I don't listen to local radio or BBC radio apart from in the car. Yes there is some decent music but it few and far between and none IMHO that is as good as the classic albums of the 60/70s maybe it's my taste or when I grew up? Not keen on the 80s that was second rate. Play quite a bit of 50s jazz as well. I will try your 2018 list, only know a few of those, damien jurado - the horizon just laughed, is one of his better albums.

I didn’t mean to be nasty here and I don’t say my playlist is uber taste in music and good for all ( when my friend came last time and I played some of that he said something like: ‘if I would have to listen to that there better be no music’)..

all I’m saying is that people don’t search/ dig/ open new music possibilities/ horizons, most are stuck in their teens and never or rarely go out from their rabbit hole or they leave it to a chance..

I think that’s why we have those fed up wih music..

ps. I’ve worked with a super hero audiophile, he invested thousands in his headphone rig, close to top end stax, cyrus cd transport, dac, headphone amp, separate psu’s.. 6 or 7 components and he only had about 300 cd’s and he was always kept saying: ‘my collection is finished. I don’t need to buy any more. I have all I wanted’

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
it was re-released last month on vinyl

https://bleep.com/release/101539-kimiko-kasai-with-herbie-hancock-butterfly

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
it was re-released last month on vinyl

https://bleep.com/release/101539-kimiko-kasai-with-herbie-hancock-butterfly

So, does not make it an 2018 album, many albums have been re-releashed on vinyl or remastered in the last few years.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:

I didn’t mean to be nasty here and I don’t say my playlist is uber taste in music and good for all ( when my friend came last time and I played some of that he said something like: ‘if I would have to listen to that there better be no music’)..

all I’m saying is that people don’t search/ dig/ open new music possibilities/ horizons, most are stuck in their teens and never or rarely go out from their rabbit hole or they leave it to a chance..

ps. I’ve worked with a super hero audiophile, he invested thousands in his headphone rig, close to top end stax, cyrus cd transport, dac, headphone amp, separate psu’s.. 6 or 7 components and he only had about 300 cd’s and he was always kept saying: ‘my collection is finished. I don’t need to buy any more. I have all I wanted’

Fair enough but I do search for new music, some weeks I find a few new albums I like. I did try most of those albums you listed, most were not to my taste, Damien Jurado would be the best one by some way. According to my sources kimiko kasai - butterfly was releashed in 1979.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:
BigH said:
lpv said:

I'm much further from the norm when it comes to music that's why when music is discussed I never get invloved... Same old, same old. *dirol*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
jessica lauren - almeria

nils frahm - all melody

garden city movement - apollonia

stephen steinbrink - b sides & instrumentals

far out monster disco orchestra - black sun

kimiko kasai - butterfly

kadhja bonet - childqueen

khruangbin - con todo el mundo

mark pritchard - the four worlds

habibi funk - an eclectic selection of music from the arab world

damien jurado - the horizon just laughed

cavern of anti matter - hormone lemonade

sola rosa - in spaces

boncana maiga - koyma hondo

dj koze - knock knock

willie nelson - last man standing

andre solomko - le deltaplane

emma jean thackray - ley lines

nu guinea - nuova napoli

kaamal williams - the return

unknown mortal orchestra - sex & food

zaki ibrahim - the secret life of planets

sudan archives - sink

cecily - songs of love and freedom

charlotte day wilson - stone woman

jonathan barber - vision ahead

oscar jerome - where are your branches

beach house - 7

+ some classical but it’s just too much to type...

Well you have far from convinced me about modern music, in fact you have probably done the opposite, I thought were going to come up with something decent, rather disappointed. Actually there are a few albums I have heard this year that are quite good but nothing special. I'm rather dismayed at the direction music is going with more Rap/R&B whatever you like to call it. More pop artists at rock festivals.

PET HATE must be RAP.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:
jessica lauren - almeria

nils frahm - all melody

kimiko kasai - butterfly

sola rosa - in spaces

dj koze - knock knock

nu guinea - nuova napoli

sudan archives - sink

beach house - 7

Well you have far from convinced me about modern music, in fact you have probably done the opposite, I thought were going to come up with something decent, rather disappointed. Actually there are a few albums I have heard this year that are quite good but nothing special. I'm rather dismayed at the direction music is going with more Rap/R&B whatever you like to call it. More pop artists at rock festivals.

PET HATE must be RAP.

Agreed. -It’s rap (with a silent ‘C’).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:
jessica lauren - almeria

nils frahm - all melody

kimiko kasai - butterfly

habibi funk - an eclectic selection of music from the arab world

sola rosa - in spaces

dj koze - knock knock

emma jean thackray - ley lines 

nu guinea - nuova napoli

sudan archives - sink

beach house - 7

PET HATE must be RAP. 

Can you please explain the relationship between ipv's list of music and rap?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
BigH said:
lpv said:
jessica lauren - almeria

nils frahm - all melody

kimiko kasai - butterfly

sola rosa - in spaces

dj koze - knock knock

nu guinea - nuova napoli

sudan archives - sink

beach house - 7

PET HATE must be RAP.

Can you please explain the relationship between ipv's list of music and rap?

I never said there was a relationship between them. Rap is to do with my pet hate. I thought there were a few that had rap on them though, Oscar Jerome and Sudan Archives?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Your all showing your age now.. My hate pet is rock and soulless singing. *dirol*

So you only like soul music?

I was talking to a guy in his early 20s, he was into 60/70s rock, did not play any recent music, did not even know groups like Royal Blood. Some of the 70s groups seem to have a large following of young fans, so I don't like it is just old fogeys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts