Pet hates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Romulus said:
2. When I read component is Roon compatible. For heavensake Roon costs money and the way I understand is this Roon manages your music collection, to make it financially viable one must have at least 1000 albums, in that case I understand. I don't have 1000 albums, so I don't need a system to tell me what I have and what I might like!

How do you figure the financially viable bit? Also, have another prod "for heaven's sake".

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
tonky said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
lpv said:
photographers are just as bad as audiophiles and some of them even asked if buying fujifilm memory card will give them fuji velvia look..

this is quite a good one. If someone showed you a photo that looked more Fuji velvia because it was taken on a fuji memory card then what... ?

Why Velvia, Fuji made many different films why not Provia, Astia or Sesia, which Velvia I think there were 3 different versions? That's like saying don't use a Fuji memory card for portraits unless you like orange suntans, lol.

Eliss, you are talking absolute rubbish.

It's a wind up! I'm a photography hobbyist (like a lot of people) - nobody is stupid enough to think that the brand of SD card will impart a "digital effect" to an image.

Poor anal ogy!

tonky

Your also taking this literal but it's a good example still.

no-one is stupid enough to think it. Yet someone shows you it - then what?

There is no spoon.

nopiano said:
I defiantly agree.

I hope you stub your toe on something.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Electro said:
People that say "So" at the beginning of a sentence in a reply.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/so-ive-dismantled-my-2-channel-system-today

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/so-i-bought-audyssey-multieq-app

My post was not aimed at anyone in particlar on this forum *stop* , it was aimed at people on the TV news and radio also people giving lectures or explaining their views to an audience.

So it's quite a recent phenomenon ...... dam it ! *dash1* *smile*

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
photographers are just as bad as audiophiles and some of them even asked if buying fujifilm memory card will give them fuji velvia look..

tonky said:
It's a wind up! I'm a photography hobbyist (like a lot of people) - nobody is stupid enough to think that the brand of SD card will impart a "digital effect" to an image.

Poor anal ogy!

tonky

not at all. it was about 12 years ago in amateur’s photographer readers questions section.

Romulus said:
1. When people or articles talk about 'Gapless' or 'Lostless' in regard to HiFi. Are they referring to the London underground and being lost..?
Do you have another suggestion as to what to call “gapless playback” and “lossless audio”?

2. When I read component is Roon compatible. For heavensake Roon costs money and the way I understand is this Roon manages your music collection, to make it financially viable one must have at least 1000 albums, in that case I understand. I don't have 1000 albums, so I don't need a system to tell me what I have and what I might like!
But if you have a TIDAL account, do you know all the albums in your (Roon) collection then? Including the ones you don’t like, as well as the ones you’ve never heard of?

3. When HiFi reviewers complement on the integrated sound of the speaker. All compartments tweeter, bass or whatever working together, how nice, but not knew. They never mention the speakers which do not sound integrated...! Ofcourse not it would be too honest and rude. So their descriptions are really meaningless, banal and just polite.
It’s very rare to come across a speaker that just makes a total mess of things, but it’s hard not to comment on a speaker that does this exceptionally well.

4. Now the 'modern language' and sadly the media allow people in the UK to say 'I was stood there' instead of the correct grammar 'I was standing there'. I hear it everywhere, an epidemic to our language and sadly it is here to stay. I wish I had an electric cattle prod and apply it to every person who used the incorrect form...!
Blame texting, social media, lowering standards of education, and people’s unwillingness to learn.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
Romulus said:

How do you figure the financially viable bit? Also, have another prod "for heaven's sake".

If Roon is free like our British libraries then why not, but its not, so lets get real.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Oh and the Smiths.....what a load of irritating pretantious tosh.

+1 and anything by Morrissey. Here is a little tip, if you place a Morrissey CD silver side up in the CDP they sound much better.,

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
Poor anal ogy!

tonky
No Tonky. It was a brilliant analogy. While you're sitting there scoffing that no fool in their right mind would ever think the brand or type of memory card makes their photos look different, that's exactly what people like me feel about those who are convinced the sound of their hifi changes when they fit an audiofool mains fuse, or something equally ridiculous like hifi LAN cables. How can they be so mislead? Haven't they even thought for a millisecond about what they're suggesting? But behold, those people exist, and walk among us. You may even be one yourself for all I know.

insider9

lpv said:
I would add digital transports, usb cables, Brilliant Pebbles or isolation platforms.. 
You might have missed my thread, but I can measurably show in my listening room that speaker isolation platform does make a difference. And it's not a tiny one.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
pretty sure he didn't mean with speakers. You'd have to be deaf not to notice that speakers sound different depending what you sit them on. That said, it's amazing how many people still don't consider appropriate supports when they buy speakers, especially non-floorstanding ones.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Didn't think of any other isolation platforms :)

Oh you wouldn't believe what's out there. It all started with turntable isolation platforms, which obviously have the potential to deliver measurable and audible benefits, same as with speakers but at the other end of the chain. But it wasn't too long before the golden eared brigade claimed they worked wonders under amps, CD players, PSUs, anything you care to name...

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Oh you wouldn't believe what's out there. It all started with turntable isolation platforms, which obviously have the potential to deliver measurable and audible benefits, same as with speakers but at the other end of the chain. But it wasn't too long before the golden eared brigade claimed they worked wonders under amps, CD players, PSUs, anything you care to name...

Few years ago there was Mana Acoustics, which delivered measurable and audible benefits (according to users and known HiFi reviewers) which worked under amps, CD players, turntables, other HiFi components. It was always a bit of mystery as to what the material for Mana Acoustic were used, some speculated glass and steel. I remember the photos of users who heavly invested in their equipment to support their HiFi, they looked like black scaffolding. Apparently if one doubled the support for the amps etc the sound benefits were extra fine, One if the most memorable descriptions I read from one HiFi critic who used Mana Acoustics with a turntable of a recording of a black choir recorded in a church locate somewhere in the Southern States of USA, was something like ' not only did I feel the presence and ambience of the choir but I felt the humidity inside the church' well if iso;ation equipment can do that....?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

Oh you wouldn't believe what's out there. It all started with turntable isolation platforms, which obviously have the potential to deliver measurable and audible benefits, same as with speakers but at the other end of the chain. But it wasn't too long before the golden eared brigade claimed they worked wonders under amps, CD players, PSUs, anything you care to name...
Touche

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
those supporting products like this

https://jcat.eu/product/reference-sata-cable/

jcat serial ata cable

“ Offers overwhelming improvement of sound quality & image quality”

” Can be used with any SATA drive with great improvements”

“The cable is directional and must be installed with arrows facing SATA port on a motherboard.”

€350

anybody buying this is just as stupid as those buying fujifilm memory cards and expect fuji velvia look.

btw. according to urban dictionary
jcatCalifornia Prison slang for a mentally Ill person

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
more ‘jcat’ meaning:

Any person who is mentally unstable or requires psyche drugs to maintain.

An individual who is looped up on psychiatric medications.

A psychotic breakdown.

origin; bay area, california. 1)a person who is considered a *** or gay by their peers. 2)someone who is considered to be an idiot. 3) an irritating person

A person who does not follow through on something that they said they would do.or they fake on something that was planned out...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts