performance under stress

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Good morinign everybody

Last Suterday I had a big party home for my birthday turning 2 years before fifty (it is this number that counts unfortunately and not my current age..) and I had the chnce to prove my signature sustem in war-like conditions.

I had 100 people and two systems covering the room both playing from the same source, the ASUS.

The 2nd one was a Luxman amp from late 70s and Tangent speakers from the same period (the old UK firm non existing any more, not the current Danish one), both componets recently revamped.

Well both systems did their duties but the modern one was pretty much muddled when playing loud (6-7 o'clock the loudest though). Why? I was expecting it to prove itself uncoditionaly. I am affraid it didn't - the only excuse might be the dj software I was using)

your comments are more than welcome

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not at all surprised. My dad's Luxman from the 70s loves going loud. I've heard it at levels where the volume is almost painful in other rooms with the doors shut, and it effortlessly fills a hge room with very high ceilings. I've never heard it distort or clip. Despite having a similar power rating to my Arcam Alpha 9, it puts the Arcam to shame with its ability to handle high volumes, although the official power rating on the Luxman is probably fairly conservative.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
ID.:I'm not at all surprised. My dad's Luxman from the 70s loves going loud. I've heard it at levels where the volume is almost painful in other rooms with the doors shut, and it effortlessly fills a hge room with very high ceilings. I've never heard it distort or clip. Despite having a similar power rating to my Arcam Alpha 9, it puts the Arcam to shame with its ability to handle high volumes, although the official power rating on the Luxman is probably fairly conservative.

That's the funny thing. The Luxman did a better job mutatis mutandis vs the Yamaha AS700. Brilliant machine!

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:How were the two connected to the computer?

the 1st amp from the RCA outputs from the ASUS and the 2nd one from the spdif then splitted to 2 RCAs. It worked!!!

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:The symptoms you mention suggest one amp was being overloaded with too powerful an input signal

hmm... I haven't thought of it!

It was the AS700 it didn't quite up to expectations as I explained in this post. It was the amp receiving the signal from the soundacard's RCAs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts