Pearl Lite CD replacement

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Happy with my Arcam A38 and Spendor A3 speakers. Creating a CD shorlist to audition and then replace my Peal Lite. Looking or something neutral but not fatiguing, Hoping to improve stereo image and to have a slightly tighter bass. Would prefer silver to match my amp. I am considering the Primare CD 22 and Musical Fidellity M3. Any other suggestions to add to my list?

Paul

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Marantz SA8005 - a really super player.

Chris

Thanks for the suggestion, The 8005 may be too close sonically to my Pearl Lite and not sure its a perfect match with the Arcam and Spendors.

Paul

D

Deleted member 108165

Then get a PM8005 to match it
regular_smile.gif

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Audiolab 8200CD?

Having heard it, it's quite a stunning player, especially for the price. Accepts digital inputs.

Arcam CDS27. Not heard but also streams. They usually make very good players IME.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
max337 said:
Audiolab 8200CD?

Having heard it, it's quite a stunning player, especially for the price. Accepts digital inputs.

Arcam CDS27. Not heard but also streams. They usually make very good players IME.

Good suggestion but not avaiable in silver

Paul

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
max337 said:
Audiolab 8200CD?

Paul

Ah, I did wonder after not seeing one, bit odd of them.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
max337 said:
paulsue38 said:
max337 said:
Audiolab 8200CD?

Paul

Dont do silver in any range now thats why I got a half price deal on my Silver A38!

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure that you want to replace the Pearl-lite. I have one and bought it as a replacement for a more expensive Densen, that I found to be too tiring (although very detailed). I think it has avery good, slightly warm of neutral sound. You could consider an Arcam CD37 (2nd hand) in silver. It was designed to match your amp and has SACD as well as being quite high-end(ish). How do you find the A38, I've always coverted one. What did you pay?

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
cse said:
Are you sure that you want to replace the Pearl-lite. I have one and bought it as a replacement for a more expensive Densen, that I found to be too tiring (although very detailed). I think it has avery good, slightly warm of neutral sound. You could consider an Arcam CD37 (2nd hand) in silver. It was designed to match your amp and has SACD as well as being quite high-end(ish). How do you find the A38, I've always coverted one. What did you pay?

I do like the Pearl Lite. Lovely and smooth and no fatigue but all thre components have the same characteristics and feel I need to add something. Its a bit loose in the bass and stereo image could be improved. The A38 is a good amp, does not add anything, and has plenty of power. I paid £699 new.

Paul

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
That was a bargain. You seem to have the opposite problem of most people, who generally are trying to tame their overly bright systems. I think the Arcan CD37 could be the perfect match, though. Perhaps you could also consider Rega, Roksan or Naim in your price range, if you are looking for a little extra edge. I prefer a more relaxing listen, as I'm mostly a classical fan. However, I do have a Roksan amp and Neat speakers, neither of which are warm.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
max337 said:
paulsue38 said:
max337 said:
Audiolab 8200CD?

Paul

Dont do silver in any range now thats why I got a half price deal on my Silver A38!

Pretty sweet money wise, not so much mathing wise :/

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
8200CD, as already suggested, shoukd be just what you are looking for I would have thought. Or even the M-DAC, and keep the Marantz as a transport.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I demoed an Audiolab 8200CDQ last year which was perfectly OK and the non OLED versions are still available for £549 online.

However, I didn't bite as deep down I'd really been hankering after a Creek 50CD for a while but at £950 a bit steep. Blow me but one came up on Ebay last week, brand new from a kosher dealer (on a BIN or Best Offer), so I put in a successful bid that saved me a really good wedge on the normal price.

Gorgeous machine, it has a real quality feel about it. I'm well chuffed with it.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
I demoed an Audiolab 8200CDQ last year which was perfectly OK and the non OLED versions are still available for £549 online.

However, I didn't bite as deep down I'd really been hankering after a Creek 50CD for a while but at £950 a bit steep. Blow me but one came up on Ebay last week, brand new from a kosher dealer (on a BIN or Best Offer), so I put in a successful bid that saved me a really good wedge on the normal price.

Gorgeous machine, it has a real quality feel about it. I'm well chuffed with it.

Yes certainly one to consider, like you thinking at close to a grand seems a bit steep. When you get a chance try to give a review of the Creek I am sure people would be interested.

Best wishes

Paul

TRENDING THREADS