Pearl Lite amp questions ??

hew1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to forums so please bear with me :help:

I have a Pearl Lite amp and I'm thinking of either bi-amping or using it as a pre-amp and adding a power amp(would rather bi-amp but bit unsure of how to set it up) My questions are will the tone controls and balance work and does anyone know what the gain is for this amp so I can find a power amp to match,I've checked online but can't find it anywhere.

Any info would be much appriciated...thanx in advance

Mark :rockout:

Hi Mark

It will work in theory but Marantz amps aren't routinely setup to anticipate either of those approaches, though they have the capability on paper. You can split pre- and power- but in the UK I'm not aware of any Marantz poweramps. I guess you could buy the same again, and (based on my reading of the spec only - check with your dealer first!) then connect just the pweramp of amp 2 to the pre-out.

Your tone controls and balance will still work in the preamp, as long as you don't bypass them with Source Direct.

All that said what do you imagine either will actually achieve? I've used 'imagine' deliberately, because frankly I doubt you need a 2 or 3 dB more loudness! And what is the rest of your system and listening preferences?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
No idea if it will bring any improvements, but Marantz has poweramps such as the MM70925. listed as an AV amp, but it is channel rather than 5.

hew1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi nopiano,

thanks for the info..very helpful :)

I have recently put together my first "proper" hifi system which is Roksan Caspian M1 cdp,Pearl Lite amp,Monitor Audio GX100's,Partington Broadside stands,Atlas Integra interconnects and Audioquest FLX-SLip 14/4 speaker cable.It is set up in bedroom at the moment which is approx 4x4 metres witn a carpeted concrete floor,speakers are approx 5 ft apart and 30 cm from back wall.

Whereas I am reasonably happy with my sound I can't help but feel the sound is a bit warm and laid back(I put together my system using reviews as mostly second hand).It's pleasent but not very precise or exciting.I am starting to think that maybe the amp is the issue.It's 70w per channel and speakers need 60-120 so I figured maybe if I up the power they might come to life??? Or maybe it seems this is the amps characteristics and I need to change it for something more upfront,if so does anyone have any suggestions(I can spend up to £1500 for the right amp,auditioning may be a problem as I am very keen to buy second hand).

I listen to most types of music,inc motown,blues/rock and funk.I think it's the lack of precision that bothers me most.

Been looking at some Cyrus amps on ebay but have read these can be fussy about partnering electronics,seems these are precise and upfront,but perhaps too much so...any thoughts :wall:

Cheers.... :rockout:

hew1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi ID,

Thanks for the reply,I had been looking at the Marantz MM7025 which is about £700 new and is two channel but after contacting Marantz it seems it is not a good match(think they fobbed me off to be honest :cry: )

I'm going off the idea of doing anything with the Pearl Lite,any suggestions for a more precise and upront amp would be great...

Cheers.... :rockout:

hew1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanx BigH,

Audiolab are on my list to try,as my knowledge and experience is very limited I am going to go and have a listen to various amps/makes and see what works for me.

Anyone know of anywhere around suffolk/east anglia I should try,if I find the right amp I am happy to buy new.

My list so far is....

Arcam A38

Audiolab 8200 range

Creek Destiny 2

Cyrus(not sure about the range as yet)

Is this a good cross section,any other suggestions gladly recieved....

Cheers Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts