Question Peachtree GaN 1

podknocker

Anyone seen or heard one of these? I watched a brief video review from John Darko, but there doesn't seem to be much else out there. I would like to know more about the benefits of this sort of amp, along with any possible downsides. It's a powerDAC design, although it doesn't contain one.

Anyone seen or heard one of these? I watched a brief video review from John Darko, but there doesn't seem to be much else out there. I would like to know more about the benefits of this sort of amp, along with any possible downsides. It's a powerDAC design, although it doesn't contain one.
Not heard one but having looked at the description, it's described as a power amp so you'll need a preamp to use it.

podknocker

I was thinking of buying a Leema Quasar to replace my Audiolab Omnia, but I've changed my mind. I would like a more powerful amp, but have one without a built in streamer.

If my Omnia lasts, I could use the digital output into the Peachtree and the Omnia's power amps can be switched off also.

I heard the GaN 1 is limited to 24/192 which is enough, but I wondered if my Omnia would send a signal at too high bitrate for the GaN1 and there would be silence.

This is all a long way off, but I'm trying to learn more about this technology. It's an unusual product.

The gang 1 only has a digital coaxial input, so it would have to be a dac or streamer with a digital coaxial output as the pre amp.
Around the same price as the Quasar, and it gives you all the connectivity you'll likely need from digital formats. And the GaN 1 is a fairly unknown quantity, hence very few reviews.

As the OP has banged on about the Quasar probably isn't worth the 3k plus price tag, there's no suggestion the Peachtree will be better VFM.

The power output of the Quasar is very similar to the Tucana, I can tell you it's more than enough unless you live in a warehouse.

I was thinking of buying a Leema Quasar to replace my Audiolab Omnia, but I've changed my mind. I would like a more powerful amp, but have one without a built in streamer.

If my Omnia lasts, I could use the digital output into the Peachtree and the Omnia's power amps can be switched off also.

I heard the GaN 1 is limited to 24/192 which is enough, but I wondered if my Omnia would send a signal at too high bitrate for the GaN1 and there would be silence.

This is all a long way off, but I'm trying to learn more about this technology. It's an unusual product.
No disrespect, this is resembling the adage of "can't see the wood for the trees".

Simplify the upgrade and go and demo a few different devices with your speakers and then decide which is better VFM.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Noddy

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
According to the official website, the GaN 1 has a single Coaxial S/PDIF input accepting up to 192kHz/24bit signals. This is the maximum for the interface standard (i.e. Coaxial S/PDIF in general). It will handle Omnia's output just fine.

The Omnia has a pre-out. The two devices can also be connected with a trigger cable.
Yep. But as OP originally said he wants a wholesale change.

He won't know if the Omnia is worth changing until he hears different amps/devices.

The only reason for trying to simplify his potential upgrade(s) is because I have personal experience: It took me two years to get from a Arcam to stumbling across the Leema. That was the only reason for joining this forum, and 15 years later....

In between the Arcam and Leema I either shop or home demoed most of the popular integrateds, it was driving me nuts.

It really can turn you bonkers.

podknocker

I'm now back on the fence with the Leema, but I am going to struggle with a demo. I will contact Richer Sounds in the next few weeks.

Trying to listen to the Peachtree might be a long wait. I can't see these in Richer Sounds anytime soon.

The Peachtree only has a digital input, so the analogue pre outs on my Omnia wouldn't work, but the Omnia does have digital outputs.

I don't doubt the build and sound quality of the Leema Quasar, but I must hear one before trading in.

I'm also worried about the stability of the connection, without using a LAN cable.

If it's stable then fine, but thankfully I've been able to free up 1 of my 2 LAN sockets. I don't want a 10m LAN cable along the skirting boards, if I can help it!

As for the GaN 1 amp, John Darko says there's a DSP chip just before the output stages and this switches very quickly, because of the Gallium Nitride (GaN) It's quicker than MOSFETs, he says.

I do try to keep up with the technology, but some of it does confuse me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzF3oSjOIgA

Last edited:

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
In between the Arcam and Leema I either shop or home demoed most of the popular integrateds, it was driving me nuts.

It really can turn you bonkers.

Indeed it can. My Damascus moment was when I discovered that the only meaningful differences between amps are the power output (constant and dynamic) and the frequency response, as well as the obvious ones of input connections, and user interface of course.

Is Peachtree a solid company likely to be around to honour the warranty? Or is it a small boutique brand that might go belly up in a year or two?

Who on earth needs 200 watts per channel? That is overkill unless you have some serious speakers. And only one single digital input, that’s madness.

That Peachtree was a new one on me. I was amused when they said the regular power amp had a limited audience, so then they make this, which seems even more unusual.

Still can’t quite get my head around how there’s no DAC yet you put digital in and get analogue out.

If it’s class D, the digital input is used to electronically control or modulate a pulse generator which is then fed through a low pass filter to smooth it out. If so then you will find that the dynamic power output is the same as the constant one, so in practice it won’t seem as powerful as 200 W/channel class AB amps, not that the OP would use that much power unless he hates his neighbours, and his ears. In principle these amps can have a very flat frequency response, and they seem to run cool.

There’s loads of great amps out there with 100-150 or so watts, for ~£1,500. As said earlier, the OP just needs to try a few, unless he wants ‘audiophile grade’ i.e. slap the audiophile tax onto the price.

The Peachtree only has a digital input, so the analogue pre outs on my Omnia wouldn't work, but the Omnia does have digital outputs.

We’ll be getting a GaN 1 in due course however please be aware that the partnering component must have a VARIABLE Coaxial digital output to feed and vary the output level of the GaN 1. Fixed digital output is not going to cut it.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Regarding servicing, would you need to send the unit back in the U.S. for repairs? Since it uses such a different and niche technology it's important to know that servicing won't be a nightmare.

podknocker

It's an interesting product and it's a possible future, but sounds like a very difficult amp to work with. I'd need to see an in depth review on WHF before I'd consider one, or anything similar. I'm not sure if my Audiolab Omnia has fixed, or variable output on either digital output and the manual isn't a great help.

podknocker

I'm going to need a digital amp, to replace my Omnia. I'm considering the Leema Quasar, as I need a streamer.

Many on here love the Leema Quasar and it's back on my shortlist. I'm in no rush, but I do want a substantial increase in sound and build quality.

I'm also looking at the Rega Elex Mk4 and adding a BluSound Node, or similar. I'm not sure Rega will ever release a streaming version of the Rega Elex Mk4

More power and a quicker, cleaner and more detailed sound is what I'm after. The Omnia sounds great, but has very little bite and it's not very engaging. I also don't need the CD player section.

The Peachtree GaN1 is very interesting and I would love to find out more, but it's early days with this amp.

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The Audioholics article explains that there are two categories of Class D amplifiers. Those with an analogue input are considered better because they can use negative-feedback. Maybe the GaN is the first sold as Hi-Fi with a digital input, where negative-feedback is an impossibility. Another article on the same site goes into those details:

Switching Amplifier (Class D) Basics

Gray

More power and a quicker, cleaner and more detailed sound is what I'm after.
May only be the size of a shoebox, but I guarantee this will give you just what you desire:
Their XR-i9 would do the same, with an updated appearance - but it's pricey

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

Cheers Gray!

Oh yeah, it's pricey. Also, when you see the insides, you do wonder where the money goes.

The casework has not changed in decades, so the investment isn't going there. A board or 2 with a few ICs and a toroidal transformer.

Even caps and resistors with the best tolerances, don't cost a fortune. A lot of HIFI, much of it Cyrus, is way overpriced.

Where's the 200W per channel Class D streamer running BluOS from Cyrus? Be £4000 if they ever made one.

Thing is, this wouldn't fit into their business model of having several boxes at daft prices, where a single box would suffice.

Their external PSU is now£2400 and a joke. I'm not anti-Cyrus, but I don't think any of it is good value.

I'm keeping my options open and hoping we might see a Rega Elex Mk4 streamer.

Last edited:
I'm going to need a digital amp, to replace my Omnia. I'm considering the Leema Quasar, as I need a streamer.

Many on here love the Leema Quasar and it's back on my shortlist. I'm in no rush, but I do want a substantial increase in sound and build quality.

I'm also looking at the Rega Elex Mk4 and adding a BluSound Node, or similar. I'm not sure Rega will ever release a streaming version of the Rega Elex Mk4

More power and a quicker, cleaner and more detailed sound is what I'm after. The Omnia sounds great, but has very little bite and it's not very engaging. I also don't need the CD player section.

The Peachtree GaN1 is very interesting and I would love to find out more, but it's early days with this amp.
Actually the Quasar isn't loved on here. Even I don't know what it sounds like, I've only said if my Pulse or Tucana are anything to go by, it should be a stonker. And having read those reviews all of them state how good the sound quality is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts