Question Peachtree GaN 1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It's an interesting product and it's a possible future, but sounds like a very difficult amp to work with. I'd need to see an in depth review on WHF before I'd consider one, or anything similar. I'm not sure if my Audiolab Omnia has fixed, or variable output on either digital output and the manual isn't a great help.

I stand to be corrected however I am 100% sure that the Omnia's digital output levels are fixed.

Peachtree have an offer, on the US site and it shows a picture of the Node on top of the GaN1 and John Darko seemed to get it working and do a lengthy listening session.

I can't imagine Peachtree releasing a product knowing it's going to have a very limited appeal, with no devices out there to feed it a variable signal. Something's missing here and I'm hoping John Darko can offer more information at some point.
They obviously have, it has very limited options as what you can connect to it.

Reactions: Noddy and WayneKerr

manicm

Let's keep it simple, the GAN1 is conceptually a power amp, so those complaining about its single digital input should understand that. Like any power amp it requires a preamp, in this case a digital one/bridge.

I'm just surprised that the hitherto upper end lifestyle brand Peachtree chooses to release a power amp based on the new technology first. Or at least not releasing a matching digital bridge or preamp.

podknocker

Let's keep it simple, the GAN1 is conceptually a power amp, so those complaining about its single digital input should understand that. Like any power amp it requires a preamp, in this case a digital one/bridge.

I'm just surprised that the hitherto upper end lifestyle brand Peachtree chooses to release a power amp based on the new technology first. Or at least not releasing a matching digital bridge or preamp.
I expected them to release a matching preamp, with the variable coaxial output, but there isn't one. Would have been a nice little pair of amps. Saying that, the GaN1 is huge and I can't understand why. It isn't a Class A/B lump, with massive 'beer can' caps stuck inside. It really is a weird thing.

manicm

Bear with me, I may be repeating what has been said before in this thread but is still worth repeating, even if obvious:

John Darko has released a follow up video to his review and it clarifies some things nicely. Because this a digital amplifier, I have to emphasise, YOU WILL NOT USE A DAC. This amp effectively acts as a power DAC.

What this also means, for turntable users, is that you'll need a streamer/bridge that converts analogue inputs to digital. And lo and behold, the Bluesound Node does that. But it may not be desirable for some.

So for better or worse, this amp really is for a digital system.

manicm

Hopefully this streamer will come with the preamp and DAC inside, to sit next to your amp of choice.

Cyrus in the past have offered pure streaming transports, and those with DACs. If you have the GAN1 you'd ordinarily want just the transport. Why? Because by using the coaxial output you will be bypassing the source DAC. But a pure transport won't have volume control!

I've read the term here or elsewhere recently before, so I repeat, the GAN1 is really a powered DAC. One needs to grasp that, and I'm still getting my head around it.

Last edited:
Cyrus in the past have offered pure streaming transports, and those with DACs. If you have the GAN1 you'd ordinarily want just the transport. Why? Because by using the coaxial output you will be bypassing the source DAC. But a pure transport won't have volume control!

I've read the term here or elsewhere recently before, so I repeat, the GAN1 is really a powered DAC. One needs to grasp that, and I'm still getting my head around it.
You don't need to keep repeating yourself.
It's a powered dac that will only allow a very limited connection of necessary ancilliaries .

Think the OP has thought too much about amp/streamer and the thorny subject of speakers has been brushed under the carpet, it seems.

As good as those little £300-odd QAs are, you'll never hear the full potential of a 3k amp -- every component, however good, has its limitations. There's plenty of choices whether new or old: the puzzling notion the OP wants bolt down speakers is seriously limiting his choices.

Last edited:

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org

How can a power amp have a digital input, which is just a digital information stream and not an audio signal?

The GAN1 seems patently weird to me, then again I’m not an audiophile, just someone who wants decent sound for modest money.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
The audio information is in the digital stream Noddy.
That gets 'converted' to a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) stream (still effectively digital) which gets used to drive the output stage.

I assumed it was a PCM signal fed into the input, which is undeniably digital. I suppose if there is a discretised pulse length, then it is digital, although introducing signal strength to control volume is odd and a tad analogue.

Clearly as long as the on pulse signal is sufficiently high, you avoid the influence of noise on the line, an advantage shared with PCM audio signals.

I still think this box is a bit odd, it seems designed to appeal to the audiophile world with talk of wondrous tech. And I bet it is completely indistinguishable from other amps when equalised. :ROFLMAO:;)

Reactions: WayneKerr

manicm

How can a power amp have a digital input, which is just a digital information stream and not an audio signal?

The GAN1 seems patently weird to me, then again I’m not an audiophile, just someone who wants decent sound for modest money.

How? Because it's meant for a purely digital system. To my logic anyway, please do read my later comments which explain more.

TRENDING THREADS