PDP-LX5080 or alternative?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could assist me with some sound, honest advice please. I am moving to a new home in the next month or so and very much wanting to create a tidy home entertainment setup. Fortunately, I will be buying virtually everything from new.

It is my wish to purchase a Pioneer PDP-LX5080D 50" plasma but I am concerned about the viewing distance. I have checked the 'choose the right size for your TV' guide and the distance between the two walls from where I wish to wall mount the screen and have my sofa is 12.1 feet. I understand for a 50" screen, ideally one would be sat around approximately 12.5 feet away ("three times the screen size back"). Once the screen is wall mounted and the sofa set, I imagine I would be sat more in the region of 10.5 feet away. Furthermore, I am concerned the screen may not be safe to wall mount as the wall is a stud (partition) wall, which could be a risk for a screen of that size and weight. Should that be the case (and I wouldn't know until I have actually moved in), I will have to purchase a stand of some description, which may decrease the viewing distance a fraction more.

I have always tried to 'buy the best' I can, and it certainly appears as though the PDP-LX5080D screen is one of the best around at the moment. Would you recommend I go down that route or look at another size screen? If so I would be grateful for opinions on the 'best' screens available within 37 ~ 46 inch. I will be subscribing to Sky HD (although mainly watching much non-HD material as seems to be the case), along with a Playstation 3 for Blu ray and 'normal' DVD content. Naturally, I will also be investing in quality cables and a sound system to compliment the screen.

Many thanks

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
You'll be fine from 10 feet. I sit 8 feet from a 4280XD with no problem and occasionally scooch the sofa forward to watch Blu-Rays. The 'choose the right size tv' is only a guide. Part of the reason that they recommend such a distance is that flat screen tvs often aren't great with SD content and the distance helps to compensate for that. With the LX508 you have no such problems - it has the best picture processing of any tv out there, for both SD and HD. My advice would be that if you are really worried, to go into a showroom and have a look at one from 10 foot away. Measure it if you have to. If you find it too big, then consider a smaller model. But I don't you'll have a problem. The LX508(0) is a stunning tv and I think 10 feet is an ideal viewing distance for it.

A

Anonymous

Hello FuzzyinLondon

Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring to know that particular Pioneer provides exceptionally good SD and HD content, particulary with broadcast HD still growing.

I shall aim to visit a showroom as you have suggested although I'm pretty much sold on the LX508 :)

Many thanks again

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, it is the best tv on the market by a clear distance. For those that can afford one it really is a no-brainer. I'd only visit a showroom if you are still worried about your viewing distance. Otherwise you can pretty much buy in confidence. I think the 'LX' Pioneer models are only sold through 'Pioneer The Works' dealers. These are dealers who are specially approved by Pioneer to sells their top-spec displays. I would recommend TLC broadcast who have a great customer service reputation among Pioneer owners. You might pay a few pounds more than some online prices but it is worth it. It might also be worth ringing whichever dealer you do decide on in advance and explaining your concerns about viewing distances to them. I'm sure the good ones would be very understanding and may offer you a trial period. Good luck and let it be known that I'm supremely jealous ;-)

A

Anonymous

Hi again Fuzzy,

Thank you for your advice on buying from a reputable dealer. Fortunately, I work for a I.T company and one of their distributors (who are in the I.T and AV business) deal with Pioneer so I am able to buy it direct. I can even put it on the companies tab for a few months which is very lucky of me. I will still visit a well known AV dealer in my area however to check the viewing distance and picture (although my cousin has a non LX Kuro 42" and says its a 'no brainer' like you do!)

Incidentally, whilst I have been deliberating on which screen to go for I have plumped for a Onkyo TX-SR705 amplifier and the set of Monitor Audio RS6 AV speakers. Along with Sky HD and a PS3 for Blu ray/DVD I hope everything works out nicely in the end. I don't have insane amounts of money to spend (where do you stop!?) yet with the core components (plasma, amp & speakers) coming out at under £6k, I think it's a good selection all around. If anyone is using similar kit I'd be interested to hear the results!

Thanks again Mr. Fuzzy :)

A

Anonymous

With regards to the viewing distances I was at a dealer the other day and they had a PDP-LX6080 running with a seating arrangement that must have been barely 6 foot away. The picture still looked amazing with High Def content running through it, absolutly astounding set, so wouldn't worry about the LX5080.

A

Anonymous

Suths any TV will look good up close on HD... its the SD that matters mostly with viewing distance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts