admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guy's. I have a denon 2310, a pioneer 5080xd with Kef 3005se speakers.

My question is....how can i watch downloaded films from my dell inspiron 1720 laptop on my tv, running the sound through my amp if poss.

The manaul gives instructions for 5 inputs ie ipod,phono, blue ray etc, but no mention of a PC?

regards

Paul

A

Anonymous

Depending on the output port (if there is one) on your pc, there can be a variety of ways to connect the two together. On mine, for instance, I use a DVI to HDMI cable for video, standard analogue outs running to the amp for audio. If you have an HDMI out of course, simply connect HDMI to HDMI on your amp. But what video output type of socket does your pc have?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
What outputs does your laptop have? I got a Creative PCMCIA card for mine which gives me digital optical out for the sound to the amp and then I use the VGA out to the TV. Not perfect (only 1024x768) but it works. If you have HDMI out you should be able to do better

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

From what I've found it looks lilke your best connection to the TV is either an s-video connection or using the VGA out to the TV.

Not sure what sound options you have to allow you to connect sound also but it may just be a mini-jack out.

Personally I'd try to burn them to disc and then play them on whatever disc player you have.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Dear Paul,

There are a few ways of doing this:

You can send video from your laptop directly to your TV, or you can send it via your amplifier, which will then convert the signal to HDMI and send it to your TV. (assuming you are using HDMI)

The advantage of sending all the sources through the amplifier then to the TV are:
-Wiring is simpler if TV is wall mounted
-TV can be left on the same input and amp does switching.

Laptops and PCs sometimes use different output connections to the ones found on your AV receiver, typically VGA or DVI. This is because they are normally designed for business, which requires the connections to be screwed into place for improved reliability.

If your laptop is intended more for home use you may find that it has a HDMI or S-video output. If this is the case, connecting it to your amplifier is straightforward, as it will have the same connections on the back. Use HDMI if you can, as S video isnt compatible with High definition signals.

Alternatively, if your laptop has the business style connections, you can send the video via the VGA output on the laptop to the VGA input on your TV. However if you want to send the video via your amplifier, you can purchase a VGA - Component Y,Pb,Pr cable. Similarly, for DVI, you can buy a converter to be used with a HDMI cable.

To connect the sound, all soundcards have a 3.5mm jack output which is intended to send stereo audio to a set of headphones or desktop speakers. Use a 3.5mm to 2 phono cable to connect this to your amplifier. If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 soundcard, you will either have an optical output or a set of 3.5mm jack sockets. Use the optical out if you can (See notes), however if this is not available connect each of the 3.5mm jack sockets to the corresponding pair of phonos on the multichannel input on your amplifier using 3.5mm to 2 phono cables.

Notes
-You may have to press a combination of buttons to enable dual screen (eg. Fn+F5 see the laptop instructions)
-If you choose to conect the laptop via your amplifier you will need to group the audio and video inputs that you have used using the amplifier's on screen menu so they are switched together.
-Both your amplifier and laptop will have independent volume control. Bare this in mind if you have no sound when they are both connected.
-It may not be possible to group the multi channel inputs with a video input. If this is the case, you will have to send the video directly to your TV in order to get surround sound from your laptop.

Regards, Lewis

A

Anonymous

I have a VGA connection at moment for picture wich is supprisingly very good actually, the cable for sound is only a min-jack, but unsure where to plug it into the amp, i ran it to the Tv (big mistake) by passsing the DENON with no luck. where on the amp would i plug in?

Paul

A

Anonymous

Appologies Lewis, hadn't seen your post before i replied .!

A

Anonymous

You can plug it into any of the phono inputs. On some av amps it is possible to rename them too, so it will say PC on the amps LCD display rather than CD or tape or whatever. Dont use the phono connection which is labelled "phono" on the amp, as this is meant for a turntable and the signal will be over amplified.

A

Anonymous

Be careful using a laptop on a plasma screen, as displaying static images for a long period of time can cause image retention. Modern screens are pretty resilient though.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Lewis,

Many thanks for your time and the Comprehensive instructions you have offered. I will print them off to study more closely as i attempt to follow them.

best regards

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts