PC based setup - Neutron Five 2.1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ah fair enough. Gaming's not something I'm into so I didn't think about it.

The case is a Coolermaster Elite. It's pretty basic and ugly but it was only £25 which ment that I had more money available to spend on the important stuff like the processor and graphics card. :grin:

case.jpg

It'd be nice to get a small media PC or a Mac mini for in the living room aswell though. Ah, maybe one day... :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I just can't get the hang of the idea of surfing on the TV (yet)...

What do you think of this Logitech MX Air mouse? When used on a flat surface it works like a regular mouse but when you pick it up and wave it around it works like a Wii remote. It also has programmable buttons on it for adjusting the volume, changing channels or skipping tracks etc.

www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-MX-Air-Rechargeable-Wireless/dp/B000TL7ZJO/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1319109111&sr=8-44

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
UPDATED 21/11/11

This weekend I listened to some PMC DB1i speakers (with the rear mounted amp packs) so I thought I'd write another review comparing them to the AVI Neutron Five 2.1 system. The PMC's have a similar sound to the Neutrons, the mid range and treble is just as neutral and detailed. The bass from the little 5" PMC's is a very impressive achievement too, I've never heard such deep and powerful bass come from such a small enclosure. However, when compared to AVI's 10" subwoofer the PMC's do fall short. When placed close to a wall the PMC's manage to have just as much bass but it is boomy and when placed in open space the bass just doesn't sound anywhere near as deep, powerful or solid as the AVI's

So, to sum up. The PMC's cost £1050 (not including the PMC amplifier packs) compared to the AVI N5 system which costs £900 (and includes 3 amplifiers and a DAC). Both speakers have equally good mid range and treble but the N5 system has better bass. I apologise for sounding like an AVI advert here but the more I listen to my N5 system and compare it to other systems in hifi shops the more I realise what exceedingly good value AVI offer.

Messiah

steve_1979 said:
I apologise for sounding like an AVI advert here but the more I listen to my N5 system and compare it to other systems in hifi shops the more I realise what exceedingly good value AVI offer.

Ha ha, that is what seems to happen. Maybe they put something in the packaging!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Messiah said:
steve_1979 said:
I apologise for sounding like an AVI advert here but the more I listen to my N5 system and compare it to other systems in hifi shops the more I realise what exceedingly good value AVI offer.

Ha ha, that is what seems to happen. Maybe they put something in the packaging!

So there's something they put in the packaging that makes us do it eh? That'll be the speakers then. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts