Paulq:- How Does Marantz Compare To Your Very Expensive Gear ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You said in another thread recently that you would compare the Marantz PM6006 you recently ordered with your very expensive kit and tell us what you think sound wise, Just curious on what you think *smile*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Snooker said:
You said in another thread recently that you would compare the Marantz PM6006 you recently ordered with your very expensive kit and tell us what you think sound wise, Just curious on what you think *smile*

I did make a comparison between the two. There's no doubt that the Marantz gear offers excellent value for money but, unsurprisingly and as others have also experienced, you can sometimes take what you have for granted.

Guilty.

The PM6006/NA6005/MA 1's was a great sounding system in its own right but missed the absolute detail that I have just become so accustomed to with the Linn Aktiv setup - it literally is something to behold.

The other, almost incidental, thing that convinced me was the standard of the control app available for the Marantz gear on iOS - it's a disgrace actually. Android users can get around this using Bubble UPnP but Apple people don't have that opportunity.

So - the experiment was worth it, no doubt. My next step is now a step back to take a step forward in that I'll be offloading the A4200 to pay for the new Kudos Super 20a's and running them passively for a while with Nord power. Once I have saved up I'll be adding in an Akurate 6 channel Exaktbox, converting the Super 20a's to active configuration and hoping that's as near to heaven on earth as I can get...

I'm still a big fan of Marantz stuff though.

insider9

Paulq said:
I'll be adding in an Akurate 6 channel Exaktbox, converting the Super 20a's to active configuration and hoping that's as near to heaven on earth as I can get...

+1

If I ever get a go ahead from my wife Akurate Exakt DSM + Majik Exaktbox-I would be what I'd get (save up for first of course). Until then I will be using Minidsp which eventhough is a great piece of kit doesn't even come close to what can be done with Exakt Design. Heaven on earth? Yes, if there's such a thing.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am glad you are happy with your system, and I am happy with my all in one which I believe sounds similar to the PM6006

I like my one box solution (Denon Ceol N8) and am very happy with the sound quality through my Dali Zensor 1's, with a very good source recording it sounds amazing and do not feel for the amount I would have to pay for an incremental increase in sound quality that it is worth it, interesting that you were impressed with the sound of the marantz PM6006, just goes to show you can get really good hi-fi for a very reasonable price these days *smile*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
+1

If I ever get a go ahead from my wife Akurate Exakt DSM + Majik Exaktbox-I would be what I'd get (save up for first of course). Until then I will be using Minidsp which even though is a great piece of kit doesn't even come close to what can be done with Exakt Design. Heaven on earth? Yes, if there's such a thing.

I did actually think about the Majik Exaktbox as it seems like the easiest way to get the whole Exakt thing up and running as it handles the amplification too. However, I've been reliably informed that the Akurate DAC is far superior and in the expectation that Linn will drop Katalyst down to Akurate level at some point then I am going to be patient and hang on in there for Akurate Exakt.

The other advantage that it gives you, of course, is that you can choose a far more capable power amp than any of Linn's, sadly, weedy offerings. The consensus seems to be that something like a NAP250 DR would be an excellent partner but as I have had really good experiences with the Nord stuff I will probably go for a new one of those and hope Colin gives me a discount for repeat business.
wink_smile.png

400wpc and a choice of amps in the Nord swings it for me - that will power the S20's along in Exakt mode quite nicely I hope
regular_smile.png

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Snooker said:
I am glad you are happy with your system, and I am happy with my all in one which I believe sounds similar to the PM6006

I like my one box solution (Denon Ceol N8) and am very happy with the sound quality through my Dali Zensor 1's, with a very good source recording it sounds amazing and do not feel for the amount I would have to pay for an incremental increase in sound quality that it is worth it, interesting that you were impressed with the sound of the marantz PM6006, just goes to show you can get really good hi-fi for a very reasonable price these days *smile*

Definitely, you can. My reasons for buying what I have today have been very much sound not brand driven and it's been a journey that's taken me many years as I am fussy about what I like. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the system you have if it gives you what you want. My other half had a Marantz MR610 for years and she loved it - it was great.

The only reason I am even considering next steps is that I believe (though have yet to hear) that moving from Aktiv -> Exakt is a quantum leap in performance. However, if I don't hear that for myself, or consider the improvement is big enough, I'll be binning that idea off and staying as I am.

Don't believe any of the cobblers spouted on forums about price or brands. If you like the sound of it and can afford it then just enjoy it.

insider9

I'm sure your quite right and your research is sound, Paul. I can only hope that the prices do drop. Would still have a lot of explaining to do why these new boxes are essential :)

No doubt that amplification could be improved but it would come at a cost. I would be more than happy with the components I mentioned as I'm sure you will be with yours.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting to read the comments. I have come to the conclusion that if you can't afford it, don't listen to it. I'll stay off the hard core audio crack until I get nearer retirement, then I might mainline it. *smile*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Leif said:
It's interesting to read the comments. I have come to the conclusion that if you can't afford it, don't listen to it. I'll stay off the hard core audio crack until I get nearer retirement, then I might mainline it. *smile*

That's a very wise approach
teeth_smile.png

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree. Spending money updating or trying to improve sound quality in hifi is a futile expensive waste of time that only leads to discontent. Choose wisely and get out as quickly as you can. Most stuff these days sounds at least good. Enjoy the music, speach or drama and stop focussing on listening critically. If after a considerable period of time, or more importantly something breaks or malfunctions, then start again with something new and hopefully better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts