pathos logos vs chord spm 2600. pros n cons

lesburn

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi
i am currently in the process of upgrading my system to be more 2 channel orientated (been using a big yamaha AV amp).
i have recently purchased a townshend rock/exalibur turntable with NVA phono2 phono stage.
i am now looking for a new 2 channel intergrated amp. i am looking at a pathos logos or a chord spm2600. will purchase 2nd hand.
they will be used with kef reference 1.2 speakers for the time being, as the amp is the immediate priority.
I listen to all types of music but probably more blues and rock (eric clapton, john mayell, walter trout etc). i like a bit of jazz as well.
i would like a really strong soundstage and a good neutral/smooth top end and midrange.

has anyone listened to these 2 amps or have any experience of them?

thanks
john

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pathos and Chord have sounds that are very (very) different.

Any Chord gear that I've heard has been bold, forward and very dynamic.....too much so for me.

Pathos are smoother, more refined and less in yer face.

Which one you should choose, will depend on your speakers and your taste....if your speakers are too smooth and need a good kick up the behind, probably the Chord. If they can be provoked into sounding bright, then the Logos might be better.

It's very hard to advise someone else what to do

lesburn

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

my current speakers are farely neutral i think. i certainly dont want anything to aggresive but at the same time not too coloured either. i like the idea of the pathos. it could be the best balance of the 2 technologies.

i want detail without fatigue with long listening sessions.

from what ive read the pathos is not a typical valve sound due to the mosfet power amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think from what you have said, that you should be looking at the Pathos.....it certainly should have enough "bite" to be both exciting and musical.

Here are a couple of good reviews, if you haven't seen them: http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193:pathos-acoustics-logos-integrated-amplifier&catid=55:full-length-reviews

and http://www.whathifi.com/review/logos

lesburn

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys.

i think you might be right.

i definately do not want anything over aggressive. i think the pathos will give a good compromise between clarity/detail vs listenability (not a word - i know).

i do not want an overly warm, typical valve sound. but would prefer a warmer side of neutral rather than brighter side.

also, not that the chord is ugly (i thinks its actually really smart) but the pathos is really gorgeous to look at.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think Cno (once again) have hit the bulls eye!

Never demo a Chord component in my live, but when I wanted to upgrade my Rega Brio R I did demo a hand full of amps and was Cno that point me out the Pathos Classic One in my budget line.

Long story chort, i did get the Pathos in the end, a very musical and detail amp, the music JUST flows, you totaly forget about the hi-fi and just listen to music, that is the bigest plus with Pathos IMO.

Go and demo the two units if you can, better even, take them home if they let you. Buy the one you like the most!

My Pathos was a ex demo unit, I still dont believe i got this deal.... :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts