Pathos InpolRemix 10 watt amplifier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

New member
Sep 13, 2011
73
0
0
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I'm not saying that at all. All amps clip if you play them too loudly. And if you want to play Bolero loudly, this is not the amp for you. Does a Mondeo stop being a five-star car because it doesn't do 200+ or gets stuck in muddy fields?

That's actually a very good point. Not every amp is done for ALL types of music...
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
10
18,795
Visit site
BenLaw said:
As I said before, how often do you use more than the first watt?

and as I said before:

steve_1979 said:
When listening to music at normal listening levels you only use a fraction of a watt most of the time but you also need to have plenty in reserve for the short instantaneous peaks which do require lots of power.

You need more than 1 watt every time there is a dynamic peak in the music. As a percentage this may only a small porportion of the overall time but these dynamic peaks do happen very often.

For example:

A song may have a 0.1 second long drum beat that plays once every 2 seconds. This is only 5% of the overall time but you still need to have power in reserve for this large dynamic peak that happens once every 2 seconds.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
John Duncan said:
Does a Mondeo stop being a five-star car because it doesn't do 200+ or gets stuck in muddy fields?

Yes, when it costs £100k.

EDIT A amplifier is intended to take a signal, amplify it with as little distortion as it can and do so into a speaker load. Finding a amplifier to drive a speaker is an engineering problem that can be solved. When you look at amps like this it does make you wonder what the designers have in mind. If they intend to drive very sensitive speakers, then fine, job done. Expecting it to sensibly drive 86 dB W m Dynaudios seems a bit odd. I've heard several k's worth of Conrad Johnson kit driving some Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers and it was nice up to the point of turning up the wick. Then it got a bit wooly. Seeing as volume requires volts, I can't see how 10W can do these Dyns any justice at all.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,255
26
19,220
Visit site
Never mind all the other concerns, what really matters is that it's hugely ugly in a deliberate "let's work really hard to make it ugly" sort of way (rather than the usual 'ugly due to the manufacturer's genuine ignorance of good design' that most hi-fi suffers from).

It is ugly²
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
10
18,795
Visit site
John Duncan said:
What if you don't listen to music with dynamic peaks? We get it, you like Bolero

Lot's of music has large dynamic peaks. Bolero was just a suitable example.

John Duncan said:
And if you want to play Bolero loudly, this is not the amp for you.

I'm not talking about window shaking volume levels. A 10 watt amp couldn't play Bolero at a sensible volume level without clipping.
 

WinterRacer

New member
Jan 14, 2009
34
1
0
Visit site
acalex said:
That's actually a very good point. Not every amp is done for ALL types of music...

Don't you think a good amp (say one with 5 stars and costing £4k for example) should be able to handle ALL kinds of music, rather than just horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
14
0
Visit site
chebby said:
Never mind all the other concerns, what really matters is that it's hugely ugly in a deliberate "let's work really hard to make it ugly" sort of way (rather than the usual 'ugly due to the manufacturer's genuine ignorance of good design' that most hi-fi suffers from).

It is ugly²

This Ugly Duckling could turn out to be a Swan.....all it needs is a fair hearing (pun intended).
 

moon

New member
Nov 10, 2011
47
0
0
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
What if you don't listen to music with dynamic peaks? We get it, you like Bolero

Lot's of music has large dynamic peaks. Bolero was just a suitable example.

John Duncan said:
And if you want to play Bolero loudly, this is not the amp for you.

I'm not talking about window shaking volume levels. A 10 watt amp couldn't play Bolero at a sensible volume level without clipping.

What is a sensible volume level? that could vary wildly between listeners.
 

John Duncan

Well-known member
WinterRacer said:
acalex said:
That's actually a very good point. Not every amp is done for ALL types of music...

Don't you think a good amp (say one with 5 stars and costing £4k for example) should be able to handle ALL kinds of music, rather than just horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?

No, not really.

Are you saying that all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero is horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?
 

WinterRacer

New member
Jan 14, 2009
34
1
0
Visit site
John Duncan said:
WinterRacer said:
acalex said:
That's actually a very good point. Not every amp is done for ALL types of music...

Don't you think a good amp (say one with 5 stars and costing £4k for example) should be able to handle ALL kinds of music, rather than just horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?

No, not really.

Are you saying that all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero is horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?

There we differ, I'd expect a good amp to handle all music competently and of course I didn't mean all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero has no dynamic range, but you already knew that didn't you?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
14
0
Visit site
chebby said:
Who on Earth (of those old enough to remember Torvill & Dean mania) will want to listen to Ravel's 'Bolero' ever again?
I associate it with the film "10".....which makes me older again.
 

acalex

New member
Sep 13, 2011
73
0
0
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
John Duncan said:
WinterRacer said:
acalex said:
That's actually a very good point. Not every amp is done for ALL types of music...

Don't you think a good amp (say one with 5 stars and costing £4k for example) should be able to handle ALL kinds of music, rather than just horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?

No, not really.

Are you saying that all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero is horribly compressed music with no dynamic range?

There we differ, I'd expect a good amp to handle all music competently and of course I didn't mean all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero has no dynamic range, but you already knew that didn't you?

I also do not agree on this. I am actually home demoeing a stunning tube amps which is "only" 30W and it truly shines with only a specific type of music...and it's definitely more expensive than 4k GPB. I perfectly know its limits but that doesn't matter as I am also listening to THAT specific type of music only...but the sound it produces on THAT particular type of music has not equal (or for now I didn't find at the same price level). Still I would rate that an amazing 5stars amp
 

John Duncan

Well-known member
WinterRacer said:
There we differ

And not only there, I suspect.

WinterRacer said:
I'd expect a good amp to handle all music competently

Let me know what that amp is then.

WinterRacer said:
of course I didn't mean all music that isn't Ravel's Bolero has no dynamic range, but you already knew that didn't you?

On that one, I actually have no idea what you were saying, since you seem to be equating all music with no dynamic range with being horrible. What's the dynamic range of an acoustic guitar?
 

John Duncan

Well-known member
Actually, here's a question for you Steve; what sounds worse - this amp or passive crossovers (like the ones in, say, Neutron Vs)?

I'll leave that one with you while I go and tie some buttered toast to a cat and drop it from a height...
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
hoopsontoast said:
You know the difference between 10w and 100w into the same speakers is roughly 10dB extra. Which is only really twice as loud in real life.

Twice as loud in real life is a big subjective difference!

For nearly 4 grand there must be plenty of amps of similar sonic ability that can heat your home too?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Well it was quite an interesting discussion until it was turned, yet again, into another anti-AVI agenda. Why so defensive? What's the problem? Why not just have a discussion instead of the vitriol?
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts