Partners for Mordaunt Short Performance 6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, my friends, from cold Russia!

I am looking for amplifier, cd-player and cables for my Mordaunt Short Performance 6.
Music room – 15m2. Money – $6000-$9000 for amplifier and cd-player together (sorry, world financial crisis
emotion-6.gif
). Music – trip-trance, electronic dub (Shpongle, Saafi brothers, Yaniv Shulman, etc.) and sometimes rock and classic.
Listened in music market Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 (not RP) with Lyngdorf CD-1 – very good sound. Read tests from WHF about Lyngdorf SDAI 2175 and Cyrus CD6 SE/ CD8 SE –very interesting. But I don’t know, because Performance 6 are fantastic speakers.
Please, help me!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I use the Performance 6s in my home system, and they are indeed superb speakers, capable of performing well beyond the level their price would suggest.

I've found they really appreciate being driven by a solid, powerful amplifier - nothing too lean. A Quad Pre/Power combination has worked very well with them, and the Plinius 9200 integrated amplifier works even better.

In terms of player, i'd advice hearing the matching Plinius CD player - the CD-101 - or the Cyrus CDxtSE/DAC X combination. The Leema amp/CD player pairing - the Tucana/Antila - is another powerful combination worth hearing.

Finally, i'd advise hearing some of the higher-end Marantz hi-fi with the Mordaunt-Shorts - we haven't tested it yet, but i've heard it at shows together with the Performance 6 speakers and it was a good match.

Happy listening!

A

Anonymous

Heard them at a Marantz dealershow at the end of a Marantz PM11S1 (or S2, don't know for sure) and a SA11S2, as well with a SA7S1 and two MA9S2's and both combinations were fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for answer, Clare!

I know one music store in Moscow, which sell Plinius amp/CD with Performance 6 together
emotion-1.gif

P.S. Some reasons of Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 choice - neutral and hi power up 375 Watts (and digital input for CDxtSE transport).

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have the Performance 6 and Lyngdorf here and they will work very well together although I would suggest using the Room Perfect as it makes all the difference. We normally run them on the Marantz 11 or 15 series and they work exceptionally well together as well.

Nick

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I was so very nearly buy a pair of MS P6 a while back! Seriously good pair of speakers that major on emotion side of listening rather than hifi resolution but I think they do prefer electronics that on the warm side (Lyngdorf is not!).

Like Nick's post above, higher end Marantz should work well but they are good enough for you to look around at even higher level of electronics. Something like Karan or Valve base amps like Audio Research with analog sounding cdp like Levinson 390s would match it superbly.

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre: the Room Perfect as it makes all the difference. Just searched for this. sounds really interesting.

A

Anonymous

The Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 loudspeakers are seriously good. They are my second favourite loudspeakers after the Monitor Audio Platinum Series PL300.

In Australia, while I first listened to these loudspeakers (not that I could have afforded them at that point-in-time) only about 18 months ago, these retailed for AUD$7,700.00 (approximately 3100GBP). About 6 months after that, the RRP jumped to approximately 3800GBP. Today, these loudspeakers retail for approximately 4600GBP!

I most certainly cannot afford these loudspeakers - and the amplification required.

Beautiful loudspeakers these are, though, and beautiful-sounding. Whilst these may impress less than quite many other loudspeakers for the same money on a short audition, on a longer listen, these are most likely to impress most.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

The two main Marantz dealers/stores here use the Performance 6 linked up to the top of the line Marantz.

They do sound beautifullyÿtransparent.

I would bare in mind what Clare says with regards to keeping some warmth and not going to lean...I have read one review which tested the Performance 6 with the SA-7S1 playing through the SC7S2 and x2 MA-9S2 (!) and basically the conclusion was that it was all too much of a good thing, although brilliant, actually 'too' clean and clinical.....Just their opinion, but worth keeping in mind for when choosing the voice of your amp....I would think the mid-range Marantz and similar would be a good match....

Hey, I've never heard the Performance 6 mentioned in the same breath as Naim, would that be too much...?

Steve.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

??????! ? ???? ?? ??????, ? ??? ????? ??????????? performance 6! ? ???????? ?????? 9200x, ???? ???? ?? ??????? ????????????, ????? ?????? ? ????? ?????? ?? ?? ??????, ? ?? ???????, ??? ? ???????? ???????? ???????? ?????? ?? 8 ???

A

Anonymous

??????, ???? ? ????????? ????????? ?? ???????, ??? ??? ?????? ?? ?????????? ????-????? ? ???????? ECHO. ????? ????????? ??? ? ????? ? SoundProLab, 783-8553. ???????? ?? 4 ??? 375 ?? :). ?? ?? ????, ??????, ?? ? ????? ????? ?? ????????, ???? ? ??? ???-?? ?????????...???? ? ?????? WHF ?? 2005 ??? ? ???????????? ???? ????????????? ?????????? ???????????, ? ???????? ???? ?? ??????? ????? ????? ? ?????? ????????, ??? ?? ?? ??????? ?? ???????? :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all opinions, my friends!

Listened Plinius amp/cd: very good, but extra bright (mb tweeter of performance 6 bright too on a loud sound), oiled pictures, but not neutral like....TDAI 2200 RP ( SDAI 2175 have too many differents from TDAI 2200, scene is not wide and deep, for example). One problem: TDAI 2200 RP costs more $2000 than Plinius 9200. I dont know again, mb take both amps?
emotion-7.gif

P/S Sorry for my english

A

Anonymous

Hallo, my friends!

Clare, bottle of Mo‰t from me
emotion-2.gif
. I took Plinius 9200, sound with MS P6 is absolutely amazing! (Some bright in high middle range is not big problem, not needed to correct, may be only by cables, I think.)

Now I am looking for acoustic cables, from Chord Carnival Silver Screen and QED Silver Anniversary XT to higher.

P.S. Source for first time is Echo indigo IO, I`ll buy CD`s after Hi-End show in April, because many interesting players are not available now, only pre-paid and some month waiting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts