Partner for Sennheiser HD600

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Simple question really - I have a pair of HD600's which my current budget setup (Sony CDPXE200/Denon PMA255) isn't doing justice. With a budget of £500 max what should I consider? I'm thinking of Marantz PM6003/CD6003 - or would alternatives with a headphone amp be better? Ideally I'd still like to be able to use my speakers (Mission M60iSE). Music-wise I like anything from classical to acoustic.

Any advice welcomed!

Ian

A

Anonymous

My suggestion... Keep your cd player and get the Nuforce HDP, save £200. Use some of that to buy the Richer Sounds replacement cable. Use the rest on cables or power conditioning.

A

Anonymous

Cheers peteAllen,

I'm also considering Graham Slee Novo - any thoughts on these? And whilst I'm at it, a question that's always intrigued me - in the past both my amp and CD have had headphone sockets - is there a benefit in using one over the other?

Ian

My opinion would be to upgrade the source - always. It really doesn't matter what amplifiing device you add into the system after that. For best listening results, if you are only listening to CDs plug headphones directly into the CD player if it has a headphone socket.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Providing the CDP can drive the phones of course, and even if it can it doesn't necessarily sound better. No big deal to find out obviously.

I have this very much on my radar but having to organise a new source first (health and funds permitting).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone - I did think about changing the source instead and I've found a Marantz CD6003 for the same price as the Novo so that's the way I intend to go!

Ian

A

Anonymous

Personally I would disagree with upgrading the cd player as the first priority. Your current cd player will I'm sure be good as a transport - it doesn't take much to make a very decent transport. The Nuforce has a dac built in (one review said it was better than the one in the Oppo BDP-83 which is saying quite a lot), so it is actually a source upgrade too. And a very fine headphone amp that works well with the hd650s (so probably the hd600 too). Also it will work with a computer for your digital files / spotify etc although that won't sound quite as good as using cds.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I meant the Russ Andrews HC1: http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5731

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The HD600s are 300 ohm so need amping to do them justice. If you are interested in the Novo, I noticed a used one on ebay at a reasonable price or how about something like a little dot 3, that is a popular pairing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts