Partington broadsides

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
davedotco said:
Use white arborio rice, reasonably common in the uk, this is used to make rissoto.

The grains are smooth, round and uniform in size, giving a consistent 'pack' and density throughout and will damp resonances across a broad range of frequencies. Do not, under any circumstances, use long grain types such as basmati.

If you have Italian speakers such as Sonus Faber or Opera, use carnaroli rice if you can find it, a little more expensive, but worth it.

You can get plenty for a tenor... ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Should attract weevils and house mice nicely.

They'd have to be pretty huge to break in to a pair of Partingtons..

My old Partington Trophy stands would have leaked like a sieve such was the appalling weld quality. The only thing sealing the gaps was a resin/fibre mixture that I had to take outside to the street - with a hoover and a stiff brush and a bin liner - to get rid of thousands of loose, chopped glass fibre strands that had been casually 'thrown' at the resin mix, or so it seemed.

Really, really bad workmanship.

My present Atacama SL600i stands seem like Rolls Royce made them by comparison! (And are a perfect fit for my AN AX-Twos.)

davedotco said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
From Asda smart price rice to the special taste special range it was like a veil lifted from my cheap studio monitors. Even my wife noticed

I've uploaded a comparison video on YouTube for you to make your own mind up
Not sure whether ROFL or LMAO is the better response!!

Have you actually tried this yourself?
No, my excuse is that I no longer use stand mount speakers. I do love rice pudding though!

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
I'm also in need of granite slabs. At the minute I've not found anything suitable or at least not at the price I'm prepared to pay. Especially as I need mine 45x45cm.

Where are you getting yours from?
Not sure I'll have a look around
How about granite chopping boards?
How thick must they be?
I'm not sure at all. My thoughts are it would be better to have one board as opposed to two per speaker. Chopping board would be great and seem them at Wilkos at £10 each but they're too small for me.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The difference in sound between different rices?

Only a trained listener could hear the difference so don't waste money on expensive rice, waste it on a course on how to listen properly first lol

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have been assured by CnoWeevil (first cousin once removed), that the sound will come alive if the rice gets infected.

Happy Days! *crazy*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
I'm also in need of granite slabs. At the minute I've not found anything suitable or at least not at the price I'm prepared to pay. Especially as I need mine 45x45cm.

Where are you getting yours from?
Not sure I'll have a look around
How about granite chopping boards?
How thick must they be?
I'm not sure at all. My thoughts are it would be better to have one board as opposed to two per speaker. Chopping board would be great and seem them at Wilkos at £10 each but they're too small for me.

Why do you need so large?
Possibly a builders yard?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Massive speakers with unusual stands. Speakers have metal bars to add stability underneath as they're quite thin and easy to topple over.

You know you could try solid concrete slabs
Possibly even better

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Massive speakers with unusual stands. Speakers have metal bars to add stability underneath as they're quite thin and easy to topple over.

You know you could try solid concrete slabs
Possibly even better
Thanks Andrew. Paving slabs are ideal in terms of size 45 x 45 cm. I'll have to look at properties as was under impression granite or marble would be more appropriate. Not to mention better looking.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Use white arborio rice, reasonably common in the uk, this is used to make rissoto.

The grains are smooth, round and uniform in size, giving a consistent 'pack' and density throughout and will damp resonances across a broad range of frequencies. Do not, under any circumstances, use long grain types such as basmati.

If you have Italian speakers such as Sonus Faber or Opera, use carnaroli rice if you can find it, a little more expensive, but worth it.

I’m not sure whether I used too much water when cooking it, but I can only get a couple of spoonfuls of the arborio variant in to my stands before the openings get bunged up. Is this normal, because basmati fluffs up nicely and is easier to spoon in?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

I’m not sure whether I used too much water when cooking it, but I can only get a couple of spoonfuls of the arborio variant in to my stands before the openings get bunged up. Is this normal, because basmati fluffs up nicely and is easier to spoon in?

Basmati stays fluffed up even when inside the stand, this leaves air gaps and a lack of consistency in density. The result is uneven damping so the stand will have multiple resonances, rather like applying a 'comb' filter to the bass, in extreme cases this can lead to one note bass.

The approved method is to use a cooks 'icing bag' with a suitable nozzle, a simple circular one (not a fancy shape) with a hole about the size of a pencil is about right, the rice should still be warm, to aid mobility.

Top Tip: Do not be tempted to use 'Black Ravioli' pads between the speakers and the stands, the mixing of rice and pasta is not to be recomended.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

If you wash the rice before cooking to remove excess starch this may help.

davedotco said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

Basmati stays fluffed up even when inside the stand, this leaves air gaps and a lack of consistency in density. The result is uneven damping so the stand will have multiple resonances, rather like applying a 'comb' filter to the bass, in extreme cases this can lead to one note bass.

The approved method is to use a cooks 'icing bag' with a suitable nozzle, a simple circular one (not a fancy shape) with a hole about the size of a pencil is about right, the rice should still be warm, to aid mobility.

Top Tip: Do not be tempted to use 'Black Ravioli' pads between the speakers and the stands, the mixing of rice and pasta is not to be recomended.

However, in Jamaica, the mixing of rice and peas is perfectly acceptable... ;-)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

However, in Jamaica, the mixing of rice and peas is perfectly acceptable... ;-)

Last time I had this was at Scotchies in Ocho Rios, Jamaican rice and peas does not, of course, involve peas.

Though thinking about it, I see no reason why dried pulses would not make an excellent stand filler, something small and dense like split red lentils would be ideal.

On the other hand, should you wish to damp the stand without adding excessive mass, I recommend Sainsbury's lightweight cat litter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts