Pansonic TH42PX70 1080p internal SD Scaling

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
One independent Reviewer of this TV who also professionally calibrates these TV's has written that if much of one's viewing is going to be Standard Definition then not to hold one's breath with this model given the inferior scaling chip inside, as most of the SD pictures will appear too soft and slighly blurry. The suggestion to remedy this would perhaps be to outsource the SD scaling with say another piece of equipment. Now if watching FREEVIEW you can now buy some great PVR's that will also upscale FREEVIEW.

But what about normal bog standard SKY DIGITAL TV?

Is there anything out there that will do the same to Upscale the picture on something like the TH42PX70?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
A Sky HD box? ;-)

But seriously.. We (who are also independent, I remind you all!) had no such problems with the Panasonic, finding it excellent with Freeview, other than the rancid channels (eg ITV3) that look woeful on anything much bigger than a 15in portable set.

As Sky Digital offers a superior picture to Freeview in the vast majority of cases, I really think you have nothing to worry about.

But this does bring me back to a rant i've had before.... We're buying ever-bigger sets and expecting them to look gorgeous with low-resolution content. When it doesn't, some people blame the screen, not the source, which is bonkers.

If you're buying a big set, invest in feeding it decent content - whether that's upscaled DVDs (from players as cheap as £70), HD discs or TV, or a strong cable/sateliite/Freeview signal (which could mean an aerial/subscription upgrade).

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]But this does bring me back to a rant i've had before.... We're buying
ever-bigger sets and expecting them to look gorgeous with low-resolution
content. When it doesn't, some people blame the screen, not the source, which is
bonkers[/quote]absolutly right Clare, how can they complain that the picture is pants when they are watching something looking like it was shot with a 80's videocamera! what do they expect????

A

Anonymous

I think its because the average price for these screens is a lot higher than it was in teh CRT days. People expect more from higher prices and newer technologies.

Also, and if I am being honest, I am still yet to see anything show SD content as well as my Philips 32PW9509 CRT does.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It's the age old problem. People forget that if you put tat in, you get tat out. They just seem to expect miracles.

But then the marketing leads the average man in the street to believe that miracles DO happen these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts