Panasonic UB820 4k player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It's not as I don't have any.
Me neither. I’ve owned more 78’s than I’ve owned SACD’s. My previous lightweight, plasticky Sony did play them but I don’t have any anyway and it started freezing with my 4k BD’s, a known issue with some of them. No problems with the 820.

Someone was suggesting that bcs it *doesn’t* play them, the 820 is not a multi format machine. Eh?

I’d suggest:

1. Anyone pondering it is primarily interested in the home cinema side
2. It’s multi format enough to play CD’s, DVD’s, Blu Rays, 4k blu rays, and any number of file types
3. If SACD is important to a user, their focus is more than half on the audio side. Good luck to them. I’d love to have the kit to hear the difference. But it’s not mainstream.

Reactions: MarkSW

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
3. If SACD is important to a user, their focus is more than half on the audio side. Good luck to them. I’d love to have the kit to hear the difference. But it’s not mainstream.
Yes, if someone wants to play SACDs they could do worse than get the uhp-h1 I've got (and which, based on everyone's help here, I'm now replacing with the 820) as WHF said in its review.

Reactions: Minkey1

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
As an aside, I got £80 for my Sony UBP X700 on a well known auction site….
Thanks - I might well look at that, but I don't still have the box (I don't think) so no idea how I'd package it or how much the postage would be. Something else to investigate.

Last edited:

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I did have the box, and knew there was an interest in Sony 4k players. Used Yodel at £3.70. Worth a think. Unless you want to keep it in case someone buys you an SACD for Christmas 😉

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
I did have the box, and knew there was an interest in Sony 4k players. Used Yodel at £3.70. Worth a think. Unless you want to keep it in case someone buys you an SACD for Christmas 😉
Hahahaha, no it's likely that the 4k blu rays will be my presents. I'll remember about Yodel though as that's reasonable.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
First time I’d used Yodel. Bought the shipping label within eBay, stuck it on the wrapped box, took it to the local collection point who scanned it in, enabling tracking. Worked well.

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi all, sorry to ask another question about this but I'm seeing companies selling multi region versions (which appear to be the DVD element). Are these modified machines or just alternate versions as obviously the blurb for them doesn't say anything? One such company is TSP, but I know nothing about them. Any further help would be appreciated.

abacus

Hi all, sorry to ask another question about this but I'm seeing companies selling multi region versions (which appear to be the DVD element). Are these modified machines or just alternate versions as obviously the blurb for them doesn't say anything? One such company is TSP, but I know nothing about them. Any further help would be appreciated.
Multi region Blu-ray (Not 4K) requires a hardware modification, so cannot be done by the user, however Multi region DVD can normally be activated by pressing certain key combinations on the remote (Do a search online for your model), and if it can't you can buy special remotes off eBay for little money that will do it for you.

Bill

Reactions: MarkSW and nopiano

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
Multi region Blu-ray (Not 4K) requires a hardware modification, so cannot be done by the user, however Multi region DVD can normally be activated by pressing certain key combinations on the remote (Do a search online for your model), and if it can't you can buy special remotes off eBay for little money that will do it for you.

Bill
Thanks Bill, appreciated.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
As Bill says. 4k discs aren’t region locked and I’ve several US imports (Abyss etc) which are fine. Call me unimaginative but I’ve never come across a DVD/BD title I want yet only available via import and modified machines.

Obvs, the considerations change if you have an existing library of Region 1/A discs.

TPS are The Perfect Signal. I’ve never tried them but their modded 820 pricing compares and they get 4.9 from nearly 700 Trustpilot reviews 🤷🏼

MarkSW

Aug 23, 2024
Visit site
As Bill says. 4k discs aren’t region locked and I’ve several US imports (Abyss etc) which are fine. Call me unimaginative but I’ve never come across a DVD/BD title I want yet only available via import and modified machines.

Obvs, the considerations change if you have an existing library of Region 1/A discs.

TPS are The Perfect Signal. I’ve never tried them but their modded 820 pricing compares and they get 4.9 from nearly 700 Trustpilot reviews 🤷🏼
I probably need to check but it's a handful at most, so not a problem either way.

Thanks for the info on TPS.

Call me unimaginative but I’ve never come across a DVD/BD title I want yet only available via import and modified machines.
There are a few for me:

Ginger Snaps.
The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
Caprica.
Cat's Eye.
Heist.
Monty Python's And now for Something Completely Different.
Silent Running.
Silver Bullet.

I'm sure there are a few more, and a couple of the above did subsequently get UK releases.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
There are a few for me:

Ginger Snaps.
The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Caprica.
Cat's Eye.
Heist.
Silent Running.
Silver Bullet.

I'm sure there are a few more, and a couple of the above did subsequently get UK releases.
Monty Python was (perhaps at one time) only available as an import? Wow. I’m convinced the world’s gone mad.

We’ve downsized twice and now I aim to keep a core choice of a few dozen 4k titles I know I’ll watch again and again. Leon, Heat, SPS, The Bournes, Pulp Fiction, Ronin, Die Hard, Abyss etc

I did say I was unimaginative 😉

Messiah

We’ve downsized twice and now I aim to keep a core choice of a few dozen 4k titles I know I’ll watch again and again. Leon, Heat, SPS, The Bournes, Pulp Fiction, Ronin, Die Hard, Abyss etc
I did the same a while back. I used to have hundreds of DVDs that would just sit there, never watched more than once, so I got rid of them all.

Now, like you (albeit BD rather than 4K as I am still more than happy with their quality, and cheaper cost!), I only buy films that I know I will watch more than once.

Once 4K prices drop I will then start the upgrade process. As I don't keep the cases I get a lot of my films from CEX which also helps the wallet.

Reactions: MarkSW and Minkey1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Once 4K prices drop I will then start the upgrade process. As I don't keep the cases I get a lot of my films from CEX which also helps the wallet.
I did the same and sold the originals. I’d held off for years; affordable players existed but the discs always seemed to be £20-£25ish - extra for specials, steelbooks etc - which just seemed crazy. I’ll occasionally splurge - will get La Femme Nikita when it comes out, to add to my Luc Besson collection - but I’ve had some real “watched once/excellent condition” bargains on eBay.

CEX is a good tip, although I like the cases. I wonder if this explains the amount of them on eBay minus discs. Folks maximising the proceeds selling disc and case/slipcovers separately?

Messiah

I like the cases.
I would rather have the cases BUT:

1. Getting rid of them saves a lot of space as I just stick the films in one of those binder/sleeve things.

2. This only impacts people like me, lol - it was so frustrating when you would get a series of something but they would change the design on the spines halfway through a collection and they no longer matched. Getting rid of cases solves this little annoyance. 😊

There are a few for me:

Ginger Snaps.
The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Caprica.
Cat's Eye.
Heist.
Silent Running.
Silver Bullet.

I should stress that these were all region-free. Vendor should be able to clarify this, but sometimes they get it wrong. bluray.com is a great help here.

TRENDING THREADS