Panasonic TX-P50VT30 making strange whining sounds!

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I came back from my holiday, plugged in the plug for the TV and suddenly heard a strange whining mechanical sound from the TV!!! Odd i thought, half daring, I switched it on and sound just went from bad to worse!! As the TV figured out the imput source, the image came onto the screen and the TV sounded even worse than a moment earlier. A sharp whining high pitched sound!!! This is from the TV that is not even a year old yet.

I was quick to switch everything off. I did try it again to see if it was a one off, but no. This has happened on each occassion I tested it. Really disappointed. I called Panasonic Service today and they said I would have to bring the TV to them so they could check it. They collect it for equivalent of £60 each way... Or I can drop it off! For sure it will not fit in the car with the box! Even in a large estate! Shouldn't this be covered in the warranty period?

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

Appreciate any feedback.

TnA

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
TnA200,

First of all i'm sorry to hear of your issue, i know from experience just how annoying it can be as my GT30 has had an issue recently and is due to be delivered back to me on thursday.

Is your VT30 still under warranty then and if so is it still in the first year or now under any form of extended warranty? I can tell you that the information given to you by Panasonic is simply incorrect you are not required to get the tv to them as far as i'm aware as on the two occasions i have had issues with a Panasonic tv in the first year of warranty a repair agent has visited me at home and as the issues were unable to fixed there and then the tv was taken away at no cost to myself.

In fact just over two weeks ago now my GT30 was collected from my home for repair and at no point was i told to take it to a Panasonic service centre, you should contact the retailer where you purchased the tv as that is who your contract is with and who should be dealing with this within the first years warranty. Of course if the tv is now over 1 year old then it would be up to the extended warranty (if you have one) to cover the repair and any cost of transportation, the only way in which any cost may be applicable is if the tv is now out of warranty.

The issue you describe sounds like a moving part such as the fan which is whining away...if you put your head up to the tv can you localise where the sound is coming from? If it's the fan then it would come from the top at the rear for example, i know you don't want to switch it back on but what's your best guess?

There are very few moving parts in the tv that my first thought was that it must be fan related such as a bearing or blade at fault here, that would explain the different levels of noise you get from turning it on to selecting a source etc as the fan kicks in.

D

Deleted member 2457

TnA200 said:
gel,

When the TV is plugged in, the sound comes from the left side, where the ports are. When the TV is switched on the sounds seems to emintae from all over, and even loder when an image appears. I have not been able to find the source point, esp as the TV is wall mounted on a slim bracket, so close to the wall. The VisionMount VLT15 HDpro™ Super Slim tilting mount

TnA200

Hi

No that don't sound good and I have heard others complain of similar issues, even on the new range. The only advice other than getting it looked at I have heard is pulling the mains out and trying again, but I highly doubt that will help here unfortunately.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Doesn't sound like the fan then if that's where the noise is coming from and points to it perhaps being a more serious issue. Contact the retailer and see what they say concerning a repair as you could save yourself alot of trouble and money, just out of interest you are not in the UK then? This may explain Panasonics policy regarding repairs via their service centre as here in the UK their policy is very different as i've encurred no costs for the repair of my GT30 tv.

Really hope you get the issue resolved quickly and with as little hassle as possible just sorry i couldn't be of more help.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Oldboy, (thanks for the suggestions)

The TV is under a year old (just) and covered by a 2 year Warranty here. I have to track down the paperwork and see who the seller was (online) and see what they can do to help. The Panasonic Service Center is through a private company and they will not collect or deliver without a cost, which I find in bad taste from Panasonic. The TV is not extensively used, mainly for movies and lately for the tennis and Formula One races (had to watch the German GP on my iPad!!), so not a nightly used TV.

I will try to put it on again and see/hear if the sound sounds like a fan, perhaps dusted over or otherwise and try to localize the sound as you suggest.

Besides the green blob issue mentioned on these forums, is the VT range so reliable? Are there any Panasonic Customer Service Personnel on these forums?

Cheers, TnA

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi TnA 200 When I wall mounted my vt50 I sure I noticed 3 fans 1 x 4inch about the middle of the set about 6inchs from the top and 2 x 3 inch fans one about 18 inchs from the left hand corner and about 8 inchs from the bottom of the set and one about the same from the right of the set it might be that some thing has fallen into one of them it might be worth removing the set from the wall and getting a good torch and having a look Be carefull the telly is a bit of a handfull 2 man job me thinks good luck

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Yesterday I took the TV off the wall and did some testing to localize the sounds. When facing the back of the TV, the initial whine was from the lower center panel. Then once it was switched on, the higher level whines were from the left side rectangular window (where a green circuit board is visible). The TV was dropped off at the Panasonic Repair Center and we'll see what happens. Luckily they'll mail the TV back once repairs have been carried out.

Will keep everyone posted as to the problem and diagnosed solution.

Cheers. TnA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts