Panasonic TX-P42G30

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does it take a kettle type lead, looking at the manual on pana site it has some clip type lead. i have a nice merlin kettle lead and would like to keep using it.

The wireless dongle, am i right that its an option of nearly 70 quid. is there any cheaper alternative wire free of course.

cheers

A

Anonymous

It does, but the one supplied has clips to snap it into place and hold it there. I am not sure if a standard kettle lead would stay in position. Might be worth going to Richers and asking them if they will let you plug yours in to check. You definitely want to demo the tv too as there are some quite mixed opinions regarding it on here and from reviews on other mags/sites.

A

Anonymous

cheers

im going on the review from what hifi and the fact its nearly the gt30 which got top spot.

any ideas abt the dongle...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I have the 42GT30 and you can indeed add another mains lead as the clip comes away on it's own and the lead plugs into it although i haven't changed mine, i beleive it's just a safety feature to stop the lead coming out but don't quote me on that.

You don't need to buy that stupidly expensive Panasonic dongle either you just need one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-N-Adapter-WNDA3100v2/dp/B002RLC7WO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I51NDUBZZ4J2V&colid=3UVFZEZ5BCD5U

This is a dongle that is recommended by Panasonic and fully compatible that will definately work with the tv, it's at least half the price too and you can probably get it even cheaper with a little shopping around!

The tv is fabulous and i'm very impressed with mine as it's a clear leap in quality from the G20 Panasonic plasma i had from last year and deserves the praise heaped on it by WHF and i would recommend it to anyone and i'm very hard to please when it comes to tvs! I couldn't be happier with it and that's praise indeed, get one, you won't regret it.

Nick.

A

Anonymous

ok, i hope you enjoy it. I respect old boys knowledgeable opinion but we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Thats good news about the dongle. Any idea if it is compatible with panny led tv's?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1,

I do still find it strange just how differing our opinions are between the two tvs and i'm now wondering just what else is different between the two tvs apart from 3d that may explain our differences in opinion but, as you say, i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Just for the recored i do respect your opinion too and the fact that the g30 went back is testiment enough that it wasn't up to scratch but all i can say is my GT30 is fabulous and i couldn't be happier unless i had a bigger screen size.

As for the dongle i'm almost certain that it's compatible across ALL Panasonic 2010 and 2011 tvs regardless of if they are plasma or lcd/led as Panasonic only make one version of their own (expensive) dongle and that shares exactly the same connection as the netgear one so it makes sense.

I can't be 100% sure so it's best to check before you purchase but i'm sure i read somewhere that it was compatible but unfortunately i can't recall where i got that information from...the old grey matter isn't up to it today it would seem but common sense would say it should work fine.

Hope that helps you.

Best wishes,

Nick.

A

Anonymous

ok, cheers. I think i will get one. Re the tv, I do wonder if maybe there was some kind of fault with the G30 I had. We set it up at Richers when i returned it and the guys there were not impressed with it but they were also really surprised. But then another well respected mag spotted the same things I did. I could have taken another one which might have been ok but I have to rely on a mate to get a van so i didnt want to keep hassling him for lifts into town to pick up and return tv's. I am very happy with the LED though so it worked out ok. I will certainly be very interested to hear other opinions on the G30 as more forum readers buy it.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have this tv too, and i'm very satisfied with it! I still must calibrate it when i have the time. You can also look at my topic "Buzzing G30" somewhere on this forum.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1 said:
ok, cheers. I think i will get one. Re the tv, I do wonder if maybe there was some kind of fault with the G30 I had. We set it up at Richers when i returned it and the guys there were not impressed with it but they were also really surprised. But then another well respected mag spotted the same things I did. I could have taken another one which might have been ok but I have to rely on a mate to get a van so i didnt want to keep hassling him for lifts into town to pick up and return tv's. I am very happy with the LED though so it worked out ok. I will certainly be very interested to hear other opinions on the G30 as more forum readers buy it.

I thought exactly that when you started the thread about the issues with your G30 and even suggested it may be faulty but given your cicumstances i can well understand why you didn't risk getting another one, after all it had a good outcome in the end and you have a tv you are happy with which is the most important thing here!

It is alot of hassle having to return tvs even if you have your own transport let alone when you have to rely on other peoples good will and i can well understand your feeling on the subject as i had to return two GT30's untill i got a good one and each time it was a 90 mile round trip to return it...ouch!

I have seen the G30 in action side by side with a GT30 and VT30 and the picture issues you described were not visible in the Panasonic dealer i visited so perhaps it's just a case of you being unlucky with your G30? I do wonder if anyone else has had the same issue because, as you said, other review samples have shown the same issue...perhaps it's a bad batch or a QC issue?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Rethep said:
I have this tv too, and i'm very satisfied with it! I still must calibrate it when i have the time. You can also look at my topic "Buzzing G30" somewhere on this forum.

Good to hear a positive opinion on the G30 Rethap, hope the calibration just makes it even better for you and just use the vid link that Clare supplied in your thread and i'm sure the results will be great! Best of luck with the calibration and i hope the tv gives you many years of enjoyment....i presume the buzzing is no longer an issue?

A

Anonymous

I have bought a dongle. £17.99, which was nice.Not arrived yet though.

A

Anonymous

I got it from amazon. It was classed as " used-like new". So, not brand new but i reckoned that type of item is probably unlikely to develop a techinical problem despite being 2nd hand so bought it rather than a brand new one. The new ones were £32. I last looked yesterday and they are still selling them. I did post this before but my post was deleted so I am not sure if i am breaking some kind of rule by mentioning where i bought it. Apologies to What hi fi? if i am.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks Fraz1!

No you aren't breaking any house rules by mentioning where you bought it from as it's just a recommendation like those on the Hot Deals section of the forum, no idea why your post was deleted though...strange.

Will have a look over the weekend and probably order one, as you say, there is very little that can go wrong with that sort of dongle and for the saving it's well worth giving it a go. Let me know when yours arrives and if it's working correctly, many thanks again Fraz1! :cheers:

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Got the dongle and its not good news i am afraid. I managed to get it to connect after a rather complicated set up but the signal kept breaking. My router is very close to the tv and works fine with my lap top so I did wonder if it was the dongle or the tv. However, there was a light on the dongle when i plugged it in at first and it stopped working. At this point i was totally unable to get a connection of any kind suggesting to me that the dongle is faulty.

I then decided to run a " wired" connection to my router from the tv ethernet port. This worked fine and connection was speedy. Watching programmes on BBCi player was not so great though as the programmes kept stopping and starting in both HD and SD suggestive of a poor internet connection, except i get approx 9 meg. When i tried the same programme on BBCi connected through my Sony Blu ray player, the programme played fine although the picture is not as sharp and HD like as through the panasonic.

So, a few things to think about. I am going to return the dongle as i am pretty sure its faulty and it does not work with my lap top either as you need an installation disc which is not supplied with it as it was second hand. I would suggest if you are going to buy one, get a new one at £32 quid.I just hope the seller takes it back.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
That's bad news.

Glad i didn't order one, don't worry if it's faulty you have the right to return it under Amazons t&c's for sellers as it's not as described. It's a shame as i thought you may have got yourself a bargain there but you live and learn eh!

My wired connection to my GT30 is faultless, i have a 30mb vigin media broadband connection and BBC iPlayer never stutters atall and the picture quality is excellent in sd but especially hd and i've been very impressed....the only issue i have had is that once i've watched any content on iPlayer i have to exit it completely and reload it to watch anything else but it's only a very slight complaint.

I will be getting a brand new dongle and hope that i don't encounter any issues like you have unfortunatley had Fraz but very many thanks for your input as you have saved me alot of hassle, i hope you get refunded asap and get a working dongle soon.

Best regards.

A

Anonymous

yeah, definitely go for a new one.£32 is not bad compared to rrp, although it's still a bit stiff if you ask me. I can't imagine you would have any problems with a 30 meg connection,unfortunately I do not have a fibre optic connection so the max i can get is about 20 i think. My broadband is due to come up for renewal anyway so i might look into a change as 9 meg is , rather oddly, clearly not enough to give a smooth watch.

I had a look at the cost of a Sony dongle to use on my blue ray and they are £60 each so won't be getting one of those,lol. I don't use catch up tv that often so i will just stick with wired just now.Hope yours works ok when you get it.keep us posted.

A

Anonymous

I followed this thread with interest, and gambled on the 17.99 one from Amazon, before I read the post that this did not work. However, mine turned up this morning, I've plugged it in, changed the setting to wireless and selected find an access point, but in the wireless encryption key & hey presto, it works perfectly.

A

Anonymous

thats great news, i have ordered my tv for friday pick up then will get a dongle and hope it works aswell. keep us posted on how it performs.

A

Anonymous

1st opinion is that the stand is fab with a great grey reflection on the bottom of tv looks cool.

i have set up with thx from Toy Story using glasses and i am very happy with pic quality. i have it on normal in menu.

The pic is sublime, i have noticed watching tv that people seem to be so 3d like, if thats the correct word. what i mean is the background is, say a room and the people look almost stuck on top. (imagine an old james bond film where he is in a driving scene close up, and the background is not moving) it looks good and i describe this a real good depth... maybe someone will correct me.

I have noticed on the fulham game on sun that on really close up shots of the players head and shoulders does look a little juddery, but when seeing a wide pan then not juddery. This was also noticed in last weeks Downton abbey (SkY plus and itv hd) where the camera moved accros the room and it juddered a bit, on replaying several times it did it again, but not every time. Even turning on/off the intelligent frame creation changed nothing, it was as before hit and miss.

Its not a deal breaker but was wondering if anyone had same and if any one knows how to rectify.

overall id give it a 8.5 and that cud go up.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts