Waiting for Apple?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Just wanted to address your point about aptX and dongles - I work for aptX!

aptX is starting to make inroads in source devices. It is supported in the following devices at the moment:

- Mac OS

- Creative ZiiO Tablet

- Creative Zen Xfi3 Player

- Motorola RAZR

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

- Sharp Aquos (In Japan)

There will be many more aptX source devices coming to market in the coming months.

A

Anonymous

I'm a huuge Apple Guy, but when and IF Apple comes out with a tv and it's only 42 inches for over a grand I believe Apple will have it's first real flop. Noone wants a lousy 42 inch tv anymore. They need to come out minimum 50 inch and preferably LARGER. Then again whats being said now is all speculation and everyone doing the speculating could be light years off what will actually happen.

A

Anonymous

I'm a huuge Apple Guy, but when and IF Apple comes out with a tv and it's only 42 inches for over a grand I believe Apple will have it's first real flop. Noone wants a lousy 42 inch tv anymore. They need to come out minimum 50 inch and preferably LARGER. Then again whats being said now is all speculation and everyone doing the speculating could be light years off what will actually happen.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Doc said:
Noone wants a lousy 42 inch tv anymore. They need to come out minimum 50 inch and preferably LARGER.

Except for the fact that the 37" to 42" category I believe is still the most popular in terms of standard TV sales (something I reckon Apple will have probably researched before deciding on a figure if they decide to release a television).

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
No-one except the most devout iSheep is going to buy an appleTV.

Its important to note that Apple dont make any tech themselves - for iphones, ipods, macs, ipads,everything is outsourced, given a glossy skin and then priced at around 3x what its actually worth.

Who seriously thinks that any AppleTV is going to be better than a Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iSheep

AnotherJoe said:
Who seriously thinks that any AppleTV is going to be better than a Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic ?

That's not the point. In any case, most of the brands either use Samsung or LG display panels.

Sales of Internet TVs is poised to exponentially grow in the future. This will be the main driver to revive the sluggish TV market, not 3D or 4K2K. Internet TVs are already popular in the US. My brother-in-law watches Google TV exclusively. He doesn't have a cable or a dish. He got Logitech's Google TV box as a Christmas present for my father-in-law in UK. Most of the content is for US customers only currently. This will change. The content on offer is far far more advanced than today's so called Internet TVs.

Eventually, Samsung, LG, Panasonic & Sony will offer Google TVs which will obviate the need for a separate box. LG already released a prototype last year.

Internet content in today's TVs is pedestrian at best. Only a software company can improve this. Google has been working on it since 2-3 years, & Apple is entering now. It's only going to be good for competition.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No-one except the most devout iSheep is going to buy an appleTV.

Its important to note that Apple dont make any tech themselves - for iphones, ipods, macs, ipads,everything is outsourced, given a glossy skin and then priced at around 3x what its actually worth.

AnotherJoe,

Are you Bill Gates in disguise? :rofl:

Cliff

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Whilst I have my doubts on whether an Apple iTV (or whatever it might be called) will be another runaway success, it's worth remembering Apple have been here a few times before, with many people "in the know" ridiculing certain devices before and even after their launch, only to see those devices completely change the markets they were a part of and having to watch their competitors scramble to emulate them and catch up. Success of course always brings detractors.

Like most people, I will wait and see. If they do bring a TV out, and if it does completely revolutionise the way people watch and access TV services, I will of course consider it - as a consumer, it would be silly not to. But it's going to have to be pretty spectacular to replace my Pioneer.

As to the iSheep comments, there are of course some people who will buy an Apple device no matter what they bring out. I personally think this is just as mad as those who will never buy an Apple device just because it's made by Apple. Extremes of opinion are rarely a good thing (as demonstrated very aptly in politics, religion etc. etc.).

imajical said:
The screen is rumoured to be suppied by Sharp, not Samsung.

Although the iPhone 4 was a quarter Samsung...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/samsung-behind-25-of-iphone-4-parts/

tbh, if they price it too high it will flop. Even the most commited fanbois will think twice about a £1500 42" tv with a built in AppleTV

Everyone expected the iPad to be priced around $800, but we're pleasantly surprised at the price. Apple is well aware of the cut throat competition in the TV sector.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:

That must be your most pathetic and ridiculous anti apple argument so far and god there's been a few. The great majority of modern companies outsource to other companies.

You don't like apple, we get the message, but perhaps it's time to let it go and accept that there are a great number of people in the world who have made an informed decision to purchase apple's products. You personally may not like them but constantly posting on this forum in the style of an angry petulant 2 year old who can't get its own way isn't going to stop other people buying and enjoying them.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Robjcooper said,

'there are a great number of people in the world who have made an informed decision to purchase apple's products'.

Just how informed are these people? Apart from asking where the queue ends, to get on the end of, to have their wallets rifled.

Every person I know who own a piece/pieces of Apple are constantly making excuses for or living with the shortcomings/failures of their pieces of kit. None of these people are in the least bit lame-brained but they all have a blind spot when it comes to Apple. I think that a huge number of Apple customers are isheep, as people describe them, it is the thing to have and nothing is going to prevent them from having it.

Apple have an enviable position in commerce and their strategies are to be much admired.

Sheep farming at different times in world history has always been incredibly profitable.

:wave:

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I have been using computers big and small since the days of punched cards (ie from about 1966). I use Apple products for what Apple are good for, and other forms of computers for when Apple are less a appropriate. One does not have to make this a lifestyle choice!

Andrew

Paul.

Curious how Apple users are always refered to as iSheep when 94% of the world use windows. How can a mac user be a sheep when they have actively made a choice to buy something different to the rest of the flock? At least a consideration has been made, the majority of the world just blindly buy whatever PC world tells them.

(this is not an attack on windows users before anyone gets in a tizzy)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
I use Apple products for what Apple are good for, and other forms of computers for when Apple are less a appropriate. One does not have to make this a lifestyle choice!

Indeed, as do most Apple owners in fact (certainly all the ones I know anyway). However, I'm afraid this fact doesn't fit into the anti-Applists' argument very well, so expect your comment to be ignored so they can refer to the "iSheep" again and feel smug that they're the wise ones. Best leave them to it I say, it doesn't really do any harm.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Andrew17321 said:
I use Apple products for what Apple are good for, and other forms of computers for when Apple are less a appropriate. One does not have to make this a lifestyle choice!

Indeed, as do most Apple owners in fact (certainly all the ones I know anyway). However, I'm afraid this fact doesn't fit into the anti-Applists' argument very well, so expect your comment to be ignored so they can refer to the "iSheep" again and feel smug that they're the wise ones. Best leave them to it I say, it doesn't really do any harm.

Wise words as ever, Prof. The pathetic iSheep response always reminds me of Rik from the Young Ones who when he was unable to string together a decent argument simply resorted to calling everyone a fascist.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I our house there is an ipad, an iphone, two ipods, a Mac mini and a macbook. Unfortunatly, I don't yet have an iSheep, can anyone tell me where to buy one?. I asked in the Apple shop but they threw me out :O

The anti Apple thing really does make me smile as it demonstrates how soon people forget. I've worked in the science/computing arena for 30 years and in an IT related role for the last 12. It's really not that long ago that an Apple user was seen as a bit of an oddball who must work with graphics. Apple users had, on the other hand, the same viewpoint of the "you are a sheep" brigade of the current ilk towards Windows users. They would make scathing remarks about anything and everything Microsoft and would turn a nasty shade of purple at the mention of IBM :rofl:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the 'sheepy' thing with Apple came along with the non computing pieces of kit.

I certainly never came across it when Apple meant a computer; although it always amazed me to find out what money people would spend to get, not outstanding performance.

The thing with Apple for me is the lack of expandability, you buy an Ipod thingy with 8gb and thats all it's going to hold. So when it's full you are somewhat screwed till you buy a bigger memory unit. Not good economics for the consumer and not good for the environment either I guess. Whereas a device from other manufacturers is expandable by use of memory cards and the like.

My wife has a Sansa Clip that started out @ 8gb but with the use of microSD cards now stands @ 32gb. Still the same base unit but extended usefulness by paying just a few quid.

As I have said before, brilliant strategies for growth and profitability for Apple but not good for consumers wallets or our dwindling natural world resources.

That is all for now, I have to go hug a tree. :wave:

TRENDING THREADS