Panasonic Plasma or Sony LCD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to take the plunge and upgrade my television to either of the following:

Sony KDL 46W4000 or W4500 or Z4500

or

Panasonic TH-46PZ85 or PZ81

I'm not so worried about Freeview capabilities (can't get it) or internal sound quality (I have a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE with Audica CS4 speakers).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I may be in a minority here but I don't think too much of of Panasonics consumer plasmas and the designs look very dated. I find the pictures generally to soft and they seem to have strange colour casts you can't get rid off, no matter what the settings. I think Sony's Z range is good but the styling again, is not ... my style. Personal preference that's all.

I personally would choose Samsungs 7020 (Edge) LED/LCD or Philip's 'Essence' LCD over the above. Both have better pictures, both look much better. The former has stunning pics for an LCD (I'd put it between Sony's Z and X models) and the latter, though more expensive, looks like it should cost £1800, which incidentally it does. Can't say the same for the panasonics/Sonys.

If you want the best (kind of affordable) tv with style and performance to match, take the plunge if you can and get a Kuro if your room can take a 50".

As always, my opinion only.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
BadgerSet:
I'm not so worried about Freeview capabilities (can't get it) or internal sound quality (I have a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE with Audica CS4 speakers).

The advice you get may depend on what your main source of viewing be if not Freeview - the PZ81 has a Freesat HD receiver built in - is that something you're interested in? Or will Blu Ray be your main video source?

In offering my opinion, I would go for the Panasonic PZ81 but then I'm a Plasma fanboy and have yet to see a Bravia that I like for all round performance (this is not an invitation to start another Plasma v LCD debate!). I wouldn't turn the PZ85 away if it were offered but I've never felt the need for all the extra picture processing that it offers.

You really need to just look at all the TV's yourself though and decide which one looks better to you. It doesn't really matter what I or anyone else here thinks.

A

Anonymous

Yes, both sets give very different type of pictures so you first need to narrow down whether you like the Panasonic or the Sony before deciding on which specific model to get.

Sony seems to be having a QC issue based on the online forums though.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Although it's been succeeded with the new range of models, I have yet to see a more competant set at the pricepoint than the KDL-52W4500 when it comes to displaying HiDef material.
Even the PC picture using HDMI is pin-sharp on this set.
But ultimately it's all in the eye of the beholder as they say, so take your favourite BluRay or DVD down and compare if you can.
There have been several reports of Sony "clouding" issues, but I have yet to see it manifest itself in any of the sets I use on a daily basis . . . .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts