LED/LCD Advice, Please

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
My main television is a Panasonic plasma, which I have been content in using for the past six years.

However, this past weekend I purchased a Sony KDL-26EX553 to replace an existing Sony 20" CRT television in the dining room. I took some time in deciding on the KDL-26EX553: evaluating the same set in different showrooms to be sure I was making the right decision.

However, now I have one of my own I can't wait to take it back to John Lewis for a full refund. I already knew about the duff sound from copious online reviews, but I was not prepared for washed-out skin tones. Unless anyone in the household watches the KDL-26EX553 dead-centre any skin tones are completely washed-out. That is, move just 20 degrees off centre viewing and the picture becomes unwatchable.

I read one throw-away comment for an entirely different Sony LED television review that stated that if two people were viewing the particular Sony LED television side-by-side on the sofa then each of them would see a different quality picture.

My question therefore is whether my experience with loss of skin tone texture when viewed off-centre is typical of all LED televisions (regardless of size) or is it a characteristic of my KDL-26EX553?

Would I be better off spending more money on a slightly larger wall-mounted LED television where I can guarantee a quality picture at most angles?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
You refer to a throw-away comment about the tight viewing angle of an entirely different Sony LED television. Well, I'm not sure which particular TV you mean, but this review http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-kdl-55w905a highlights the very tight viewing angle as a big problem! I don't know enough about Sony LEDs to say whether a narrow viewing angle is typical of all of them. But, I have seen several LG and Samsung LED sets, and I don't remember tight viewing angles with them, particularly the outgoing Samsung ES8000 range of LED televisons from last year, which you may still be able to find if you are quick.

Of course, if you had stayed with the true god of plasma televisions, instead of worshipping the flashy new false gods of LED, viewing angles wouldn't be a problem!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Of course, if you had stayed with the true god of plasma televisions, instead of worshipping the flashy new false gods of LED, viewing angles wouldn't be a problem!

Where's he going to find a 26" plasma screen though (and yes, we know what you've got in your kitchen...)?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Pungently put as usual, The_Lhc, but good point, I had forgotten the size of screen that he wanted! It will have to be an LCD or LED screen, at 26 inches. (Gee, that's small!)

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I took my KDL-26EX553 back to John Lewis for a full refund...
Most of the other LED televisions on display, in the <32" category exhibited similar colour degradation characteristics as the returned Sony.
However, the one model that proved to be the exception was the 2013 Panasonic E6 range. Even when viewing the screen at near 90 degrees the colour integrity of the screen was nearly as good as a CRT.
Also, compared to other televisions at this price range, the sound quality did not require external assistance.

TRENDING THREADS