Panasonic DMP-BD30 is available. (sold out now)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
Good to know. We've just tested it in our April What Hi-Def? supplement, and it should be in the shops now.
[/quote]

Yes, the April supplement came at the right time for me!

A

Anonymous

Yes I have been watching this because I still have my existing order in with AV Land who have been let down by Panasonic as they issued their first wave of players through the Panasonic shops who sold out. Presumably leaving the independant suppliers with no chance of any stock. I wonder how Amazon manage to secure excess stock over other independants? presumably buying power. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing when I will get my player as information out of Panasonic is sparse. I also noticed that the players in Amazon have been there for 3-4 days at least, so that would suggest that the initial glut of demand has been satisfied otherwise I would have expected Amazon to clear out also.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I ran into Amazon's senior buyer for consumer electronics out at CES in January - he was hoovering up stock of/putting in advanced orders for anything that looked good....

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Without getting into too much details of specification, does anyone know what the differences are, and which is better, of the DMP-DB30 and the DB10.

I've seen the DB30 advertised at £350 with 2 free films (Ratatoule and Cars). The DB10 's i've seen are more expensive. Surely the newer model would be the better version, or am i thinking too simplicticly ?

Cheers for any info.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No you're not thinking too simply. The newer model is better. The older model (never that great) was from way back when manufacturers felt you could get away with charging almost £1000 for a Blu-ray player....(excellent £1000 Pioneer excepted from that sweeping statement).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stevee1966"]Without getting into too much details of specification, does anyone know what the differences are, and which is better, of the DMP-DB30 and the DB10.

I've seen the DB30 advertised at £350 with 2 free films (Ratatoule and Cars). The DB10 's i've seen are more expensive. Surely the newer model would be the better version, or am i thinking too simplicticly ?

Cheers for any info.[/quote]

Can't comment on the BD10, but I have been waiting for the BD30 for Profile 1.1 and bitstream audio to my Onkyo 705.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I have my BD30 and can say (all IMHO) that it is fantastic. Loading times seem to be pretty quick (certainly for DVD but also for BD) Picture is excellent, and even though I only have an old (but very good) amp streaming only DD or DTS, the sound is fantastic. HD sound will be awesome!

A

Anonymous

...and Amazon are now showing 1-2 months! Mine has just been delivered :)

A

Anonymous

Congrats you will enjoy this player. I have had mine a couple of months now.

A

Anonymous

That's a shame, I was waiting for it to appear on JL and would have preferred it from there.

A

Anonymous

Still nothing concrete from my supplier. They might get some this week, on the other hand they might not! I think Panasonic could be a bit more helpful that this really! They might have a supply and demand problem but they could be clear about who is getting what and when!

A

Anonymous

I would have been too impatient and spent the extra to get it NOOOOOWWWWWW. :D

A

Anonymous

I have been waiting for over a year to see some HD content on my flatscreen so I guess i can hold out a bit longer......but how much longer I don't know. I have seen several dealers now with stock including someone advertsing at £289.00!! hmmm

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
£289 !!!!

Where did you see that then ?

Best i've seen is £325

As for being patient - how much do you think the prices may drop once other manufacturers begin to get their players in the shops ?

Blu Ray rentals - Do blockbuster rent out Bluray titles, and if so are they the same price as normal dvd's.

I'm looking to go down the bluray route but don't plan on forking out £20 for a movie.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Just read the following in a review :-

"Sadly, the unit doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so you'll only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from these six-channel analogue outputs. All of which means that the only way to hear high-resolution audio formats is via the HDMI output, which isn't much help if your amp is nearing retirement age."

As my Denon 1507 doesn't have an HDMI socket then i guess that's my audio options cut already ?

A

Anonymous

You'll need to wait for the BD50, that has on-board decoding and analogue outs I think?

I have a Onkyo 705 and am using bitstream from the BD30 for TrueHD etc.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stevee1966"]

Blu Ray rentals - Do blockbuster rent out Bluray titles, and if so are they the same price as normal dvd's.

I'm looking to go down the bluray route but don't plan on forking out £20 for a movie.[/quote]

I think Blockbuster does. Lovefilm certainly does - I get the bulk of my Blu-ray discs from them, as there's a lot of movies I can't justify buying at current prices. Just sent back Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which looked a little grainy but sounded awesome) and Pan's Labyrinth is on its way for the weekend.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
ok then Claire, i've not actually seen blu-ray in action as yet, but in a nutshell from a picture quality point of view, would you recomend the Panasonic DMP-BD30 (at £299) with the equipment i have (listed below).

It would appear i won't get the best out of my amp soundwise, but i assume i'm not getting any better from my Denon 1930 dvd player.

So, as a replacement for my Denon 1930, is it a YES or a NO ?

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare just while you are looking at the thread how do you rate the Panasonic vs the PS3 if connected to an Onkyo 875 and Pioneer 428XD. I have had on order for about 3 weeks a Panasonic but the Dealer and Panasonic don't know when they will be with independent retailers. If I would not drop to much sound and picture quality i would swop for the PS3. Mine cost £299 AV Sales. I would love the Pioneer Bluray but £1000 when it may be out of date next week looks like a lot of money. Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stevee1966"]ok then Claire, i've not actually seen blu-ray in action as yet, but in a nutshell from a picture quality point of view, would you recomend the Panasonic DMP-BD30 (at £299) with the equipment i have (listed below).

It would appear i won't get the best out of my amp soundwise, but i assume i'm not getting any better from my Denon 1930 dvd player.

So, as a replacement for my Denon 1930, is it a YES or a NO ?[/quote]

YES
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts