Panasonic 46G10 or Philips 47PFL7404

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help!!

Looking for some help here. Just been looking at the new issue and i see that the Philips got a great write up. I have been looking at both these tv's and can get the Panasonic for £720 or the Philips for £950

Is the Philips worth the extra £200 over the panasonic and at these prices how would they have tested in the 46-47 supertest just carried out??

All views greatfully recieved as always thanks.

A

Anonymous

Im not sure really but the Philips is a very nice TV with brilliant motion handling. To me it "looks" better than a 600hz plasma I ran a bluray on side by side in a shop.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last sentance but the 47PFL7404 is in the supertest in the current issue? (as well as the 9664).

Could you let me know wWhere have you found the 47pfl7404 for £950?

A

Anonymous

I have just swapped a Samsung PS50B850 for a Philips 52PFL7404.

Although the plasma has a 600Hz sub field, (besides numerous other problems, like image retenion), you could see motion blurr on HD football, when the ball was in the air, it looked like there where 2 balls for a second.

The picture detail pf the philips is amazing, the Motion, with Pixel precise HD swicthed on (switched to minimum) takes a little getting used to, however it ensures the picture stays super sharp through movement.

Black levels are very good and the colors are excellent, I am sure you would love the 47" version.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
i can second that i have had the 7404 in the 47 inch as soon as it came out and i have to admit that the picture quality is superb i have had numerous tvs including plasma and i have to say that iam more than happy with this set.

the only tvs that i think i could give it up for is though if i was upgrading is either a pioneer plasma or the philips 9664 or better still the led version the 9704 i think that if you purchase this tv you will be very happy with it good luck on whatever you decide.

A

Anonymous

rob0180, any chance you can let me know where you've found the 47PFL7404 for £950?
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

C_W,

Very.co.uk, the catalogue company have it at £1199.99 but if you apply code XX922 it takes 15% of so brings it to £1025 approx, then you also get 8% if going through quidco so give or take a few pennis it works out at £950.

Some people have problems with the catalogue companies and discount codes but i have seriously bought form laptops to tellys to game consoles and always used codes and never had a problem. The 52" set is also available for £1180 which is a bargain too.

Oh you can also take 12 months interest free too.

I can get a price match with john lewis just now on the panasonic 46g10 and get it for £750 with a 5 year guarentee so i'm torn between the 2 to be honest, what to do !!!

A

Anonymous

no contest for me - the phillips all day long. i've just been through the decision process and ended up with the 47pfl9664. not long before I was all set on the 46G10 - that was before I saw the 9664. considering the 7404 is not that far off the 9664, and knowing now what the philips set is like, I'd have the philips all day long
emotion-11.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
markjaspi: Although the plasma has a 600Hz sub field, (besides numerous other problems, like image retenion), you could see motion blurr on HD football, when the ball was in the air, it looked like there where 2 balls for a second.

The picture detail pf the philips is amazing, the Motion, with Pixel precise HD swicthed on (switched to minimum) takes a little getting used to, however it ensures the picture stays super sharp through movement.

Well, if you had tested the Panasonic the same way you were testing the Philips (turning off all these picture processing functions like intelligent frame creation) you would have found no such thing as 2 balls!

No LCD screen can match a plasma on speed.

I would go for the Panasonic any day, but as always it comes down to personal preferences. Do you want the oversaturated picture or the natural one?

A

Anonymous

TKratz:markjaspi: Although the plasma has a 600Hz sub field, (besides numerous other problems, like image retenion), you could see motion blurr on HD football, when the ball was in the air, it looked like there where 2 balls for a second.

Well, if you had tested the Panasonic the same way you were testing the Philips (turning off all these picture processing functions like intelligent frame creation) you would have found no such thing as 2 balls!

No LCD screen can match a plasma on speed.

I would go for the Panasonic any day, but as always it comes down to personal preferences. Do you want the oversaturated picture or the natural one?

I think you may have miss read, I said I had a problem with a Samsung PS50B850, not a Panasonic.

And no matter what I did with it's settings I could not get rid of this blurr. I went onto to comment that the "samsung" has a 600Hz sub field "like" the panasonic.

No panasonics where harmed in the making of this post!

Additionally I said the "philips" had excellent motion "for a LCD" something that has been confirmed by the 47" recent review by WHF

1spaceboo

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, I was looking at the Philips 47PFL7404, have you watched much sport on it or do any gaming on it?

I have looked at many TV's such as the Samsung leds, which don't quite seem right and are expensive, and Panasonic 42" V10 which I'm not 100% convinced on and really want bigger than 42 but not a 50.

I keep coming back to Philips sets as I've had several in the past and my current one is Philips, because of cost I'm looking at the 47PFL7404, how do you rate it

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I have watched a few live HD football games (only had it 1 week), there are certainly no issues with motion or blurring and the detail is super sharp. Asthetically, it is stunning, only the 46B7020 I had recently was marginally better looking.

I have had a few problems over the past 2 months with a samsung 46B7020 & a 50PSB850 (Plasma), the philips is the first tv I have not been fiddling with after I calibrated it using a THX & DVE blu ray disc.

My wife, who has been a doubter when it comes to HD picture quality over SD, has already said a number of times, that this TV's picture is awesome, and she can now see the difference, and of course, why didn't we get this one in the first place.

I got rid of my PS3 & Xbox 360, some time ago, due tobeing busy with work/kids, however I am considering asking Santa for a new machine, so at the moment I can not comment on gaming.

I can not recommend this TV highly enough, I am sure you would not be disappointed
emotion-2.gif

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
1spaceboo:
Hi there, I was looking at the Philips 47PFL7404, have you watched much sport on it or do any gaming on it?

I have looked at many TV's such as the Samsung leds, which don't quite seem right and are expensive, and Panasonic 42" V10 which I'm not 100% convinced on and really want bigger than 42 but not a 50.

I keep coming back to Philips sets as I've had several in the past and my current one is Philips, because of cost I'm looking at the 47PFL7404, how do you rate it

Cheers
gaming on this tv is incredible i don't suffer no lag and the graphics and colours on this tv is vibrant and super sharp hope this helps.

1spaceboo

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Cheers guys, think I am definitely leaning towards this model or the 8404, does anyone know what the main differences are? Is it just ambilight and net tv?

Regards,

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
1spaceboo:
Cheers guys, think I am definitely leaning towards this model or the 8404, does anyone know what the main differences are? Is it just ambilight and net tv?

Regards,
your exactly right the only differences is the ambilight and the net tv and that it has a speaker grill on the front and the 7404 doesn't.

A

Anonymous

Guy's

i've just ordered the 47pfl8404 and was wondering if you could let me know what your settings are to give me a heads up on calibrating it. This would really be appreciated and would obviously help me get the most from my new set.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
rob0180:
Guy's

i've just ordered the 47pfl8404 and was wondering if you could let me know what your settings are to give me a heads up on calibrating it. This would really be appreciated and would obviously help me get the most from my new set.

hi and congrats on purchase i can give some quick start settings that should get going until you find your preferred picture.

for sd:

brightness: 57

colour: 50

contrast: 65

tint: normal

sharpness:2

noise reduction: on

hdnm: minimum

mpeg noise reduction: minimum

advanced sharpness: off

dynamic contrast: off

dynamic backlight: off

colour enhancement: off

for hd:

contrast: 90

brightness:48

colour: 50

sharpness: 3

hdnm: minimum/off if you don't like it

noise reduction: off

tint: normal

advanced sharpness: off

mpeg artefact reduction: off

dynamic backlight: best picture

hope this helps on getting you started.

A

Anonymous

Excellent thread, nothing but praise for the 7404. I currently have an old CRT Pixel Plus and am too stuck between a 46G10 and 47FL7404.

Anyone provide a comparison to the cureent Panasonic Plasma's. Mates all have Plasma but these were purchased when Plasma ruled and LCD wasn't nearly as good as it is today, so they're kind of biased.

I'm a bit nervous when it comes to spending £1000 - £1300 on a TV when I've not been following technology advances for the past 7-8n years. Don't want to get it home and find its not to my liking!

:)

A

Anonymous

SixDegrees,

I have spent a lot of time researching for a new tv. my requirements were a 46- 47 no more than £1000 screen to replace my panasonic 42 px70. I have always been happy with my panasonic but after a screen fault i decided to look for a new one. Having looked at the panasonic 46s10 and g10 along with various others including samsung and sony (samsung out on price and backlight bleed , same for the sony) i was left with the panasonic and the 7404 philips to choose from.

After testing both with multiple formats i was much more impressed with the picture from the philips, also helped by everyone on the forums who own's one also singing there praises. There have been a lot of complaints regarding the Pana g10 range from owners on other threads.

I managed to find a 47pfl8404 (with ambilight) for £999 and that totally swung the deal for me as not only was i more impressed with the Philips it now fitted into my budget.

For a sub £1000 46-47" tv i don't think the philips 47pfl7404/8404 can be bettered.

Would be interesting to hear what the guys in WHF thought as when the 7404 was reviewed recently it got 5 stars at £1200, so i'd like to hear what claire and the team think there review would go like for a 47pfl8404 at sub £1000.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I prefer the idea of spending £1k on a panasonic than on a phillips, although that phillips has had great reviews..... hmmm...

Interested as to whether a plasma (ie. the g10/15) would be more suited to my evening hd viewing and gaming than the lcd...

decisions decisions.

A

Anonymous

SnowyJohn,

If you check other forums then many pana 46g10/s10 owners have very little good to say about it, especially regarding the green tinge on-screen.

I had a panasonic 42px70 and it developed an inherent fault to the panel as many others have found and been told by panasonic that a fee of £140 plus vat would be charged to replace the panel, so for this i'd be wary of buying another unless i got a free guarentee.

P.s i've just opted for the 47pfl8404.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
That's the first I've heard of a bad reception for the g10.. as far as I've read it's one of the most popular and best 42-46 televisions.. obviously succeeded by the g15..

A

Anonymous

rob0180:
SnowyJohn,

If you check other forums then many pana 46g10/s10 owners have very little good to say about it, especially regarding the green tinge on-screen.

I had a panasonic 42px70 and it developed an inherent fault to the panel as many others have found and been told by panasonic that a fee of £140 plus vat would be charged to replace the panel, so for this i'd be wary of buying another unless i got a free guarentee.

P.s i've just opted for the 47pfl8404.
id be interested in reading those comments re g10s , ive read every review on the net , all good , and various forums , again , all good , the only slight negative i found is the g10s upscaling isnt the best , but still good enough , for hd its a fantastic tv , and contrary to certain reviews , the sound is quite good , especially with , v surround on ...

A

Anonymous

Popped into Currys today, mostly as we have a new BIG store with more TVs than you can shake a sh***y stick at. Ok, most likley no wired up to the best source, which was evident when looking at some and they pic was preety bad.

That said those that stood out, as per many reviews, were LG42H5000, at £699 the pic was bloody good. The Panas were wired up to a 1080p spurce via HDMI and i have to say while no where near as vibrant as some LCDs they were very good, clear and detailed but nothing showing seem to have much motion.

However, stand out for me was the Samsung LED LCDs, namely the 40B7000 (7020 if not Currys), as this had these best pic in the store, easily! Pin sharp, clear, smooth, deep color, very real looking!!!!

Now, I want a 46B7020 but pushing my budget a bit, although Richer Sounds have it for £1349 (5yr) with £150 cash back (£1349 is after cash back).

I really need to the Philips side-by-side with the Samsung to compare. Philips 7404 is much cheaper but is it nearly as a good as the Samsung.

Good deal to be had on the Pana's though, although hard to find a 46" G10 in store near me to go view.

:)

A

Anonymous

were the samsung leds showing a demo disc , gorgeous looking babes in swimsuits prancing around swimming pools and villas ?? i seen that playing on them recently , stunning images , but when the salesman played the same disc on other normal lcd sammys it looked just as good , the disc is very high quality, designed to complement the leds , im not suggesting their not good , they obviously are ,but id check out all sources on them , to be sure their worth the extra money ..

A

Anonymous

rob0180:

I managed to find a 47pfl8404 (with ambilight) for £999 and that totally swung the deal for me as not only was i more impressed with the Philips it now fitted into my budget.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Hi Rob

Can I ask where you found the 47 8404 for £1000, would be very interested, I have been looking at the 7404 for a while now but am so mixed up with what to buy. I have Sky Hd and a PS3, viewing from 3mtrs so I would imagine that 47 would be O.K

Thanks for any help

Ron

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts