PAL PS3 compatibility with NTSC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to buy a PS3 to go with my tv and surround sound system and want to know if id still be able to use it in japan as I'll be going there for a year for work.

Is it possible to chip a PAL to work with the Japanese power supplies or would it be easier to buy a japanese PS3 and get it to work on these shores? Or alternatively is there a power adapter available that could help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A

Anonymous

I expect you'll be fine either way except for DVDs as Japan and UK are in different regions. Games and Blu-rays are region free though. I'd buy it wherever it is cheapest! (also look at the specs - I bet the Japanese one isn't exactly the same).

A

Anonymous

Almost every new Blu-ray disc released is region free though, more in Japan.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm, I wouldn't be as confident as you in saying that. Quite a few are, but certainly not almost all. Maybe different in Japan - if so, I suppose it makes more sense to take the UK model over to Japan.
As for power, just checked mine and it says 220-240V input so you'll need a power transformer for this to work over there. I would have thought you can pick one up cheaper in Japan, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

A

Anonymous

I thought it was (studio dependent) around 90% of all new BDs are region free? Just something I heard I suppose I'm sure that figure could have been 'plucked' from somewhere. What also matters is which studios are and which studios are going to be. Some major studios are which should have a impact in the short run on smaller studios.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:I expect you'll be fine either way except for DVDs as Japan and UK are in different regions. Games and Blu-rays are region free though. I'd buy it wherever it is cheapest! (also look at the specs - I bet the Japanese one isn't exactly the same).

Actually, Japanese DVDs are the same as the UK, region 2 - though they are NTSC and not PAL.

'Be nice if you're right about region-free Blu-rays
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts