PA-amplifier

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Cerwin's need much power, right? But proper hifi-amplifier with at least 100W RMS per channel is expensive as hell.
But there's so called PA-amplifiers, like T.AMP, which easily gives you over 500 RMS. And the price is around 300 euros.
Why are they so cheap - is there something fishy? Can I use this kind of amplifier to power XLS-15's ?

And should I get NAD C326BEE as the preamp, or is the quality wasted when I use PA power-amplifier?
Why real preamplifiers are so expensive - what makes them better than others?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You might want to read this thread it will answer some of your questions with reference to pro gear. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/is-hi-fi-really-better-than-pro-audio

This is also an interesting read

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

You probably won't get much response regarding your Cerwin Vega's on the WHF forum there not to popular and never get reviewed, probably down to Hi-Fi snobbery. When I was a kid I had a pair of AT-100's for a while.....loved them back then. Your Cerwin Vegas have a sensitivity of 92.3dB and a nominal load of 6 ohms so they are not particularly difficult to drive you might want to try them from the NAD C326BEE as is to start with, although the NAD is only rated at a continuous 50 Watts rms @ 8 ohms it has the powerdrive system which outputs short dynamic burst of power up to 100 Watts @ 8 ohms. It will be plenty loud enough for most homes; if it is not powerful enough you can then add a power amp at a later date.

T

the record spot

ntune said:
Cerwin's need much power, right? But proper hifi-amplifier with at least 100W RMS per channel is expensive as hell.
But there's so called PA-amplifiers, like T.AMP, which easily gives you over 500 RMS. And the price is around 300 euros.
Why are they so cheap - is there something fishy? Can I use this kind of amplifier to power XLS-15's ?

And should I get NAD C326BEE as the preamp, or is the quality wasted when I use PA power-amplifier?
Why real preamplifiers are so expensive - what makes them better than others?

A 100wpc amp isn't that expensive, but it depends on what your interpretation of expensive is. Pro-audio amps are worth exploring, but you should be aware you'd need in most case a separate pre-amp.

For the money you're talking, have a look at Onkyo's TX-8050 which is around 100wpc at 8ohms (130 at 6ohms) and is about £400. For £300, you'll get the Harman Kardon, 120wpc, HK3490.

TRENDING THREADS